After my bike fit... {UPDATED FITMENT}

Cycling Major

Hello All.

So I bought a Tri-bike a few weeks back, first ever as I have always been a roady.

So on Friday I took the bike in for a professional setup and everything was set up.

The whole setup was done with me leaning forward into the tribars, with me sitting on the nose of the saddle.

During the setup I asked the fitter that I think the saddle is tilting quite a bit forward, and he noted that it is fine.

So I get home and the next day I put the bike on the IDT just to get the hang of the Tribike,having never ridden one.

When I sat up the saddle feels WAY to high compared to that of my road bike, but when I am in the tribars it seems fine.  I can feel that my shoulders are taking quite a bit of strain by keeping me on the saddle as I keep on sliding forward.

So now my question is: Because in the tri position you sit far forward on the nose of the saddle, if this needs to be raised by say 3mm, it would mean that the saddle needs to be lowered by 3mm?

This might also be why the saddle feels to high when I am sitting up as I am sitting further back, with a higher saddle (it being tilted forward)

But when I now drop the saddle by 3mm it also means that the saddle will come slightly forward due to the angle of the seat tube?

I contacted the fitter and he noted that I should just adjust the tilt as the saddle height would not change overall, which for a roadbike I might agree with because you sit in the middle, but with the tri setup, tilting the nose would have an effect?

Please could you legends of tri help me out here

Thanks

Edited by Cycling Major

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A tri bike is designed to be ridden in the tri position... so ideally it should be set up optimally for that position and not the sitting up position.

take it out on the road, spend some long time in the bars and make a call. Expect to get hurt in places you have not before, that I reckon would be normal.

Not much help, sorry. good luck

If you live in the Cape Town area I have a bike fitter that could help you with this problem.

let me know

A tri bike is designed to be ridden in the tri position... so ideally it should be set up optimally for that position and not the sitting up position.

take it out on the road, spend some long time in the bars and make a call. Expect to get hurt in places you have not before, that I reckon would be normal.

Not much help, sorry. good luck

I fully agree with this, BUT I don't think I should be pushing myself onto the saddle the whole time, but rather leaning on my arms in the try position.

I just mentioned it to give background about how tilted the saddle is.

Thanks for the reply though

If you live in the Cape Town area I have a bike fitter that could help you with this problem.

let me know

Thanks for the reply... In Joburg unfortunately...

There are also very good fitters here, problem is that this person was also recommended, charged a 1000, whereas the others are cheaper and considered to be better

The others only came back this week though, where my fitter was already in last week.

Started tri last year and also got a tri bike for the longer distances. You do sit quite forward and ride on your quads a lot more, so sitting up is a little uncomfortable. But my saddle is level and generally I don't have any issues with riding in the upright position if we are for example sitting up while riding in a group.

Friend of mine had his bike setup redone at another LBS and after that he is way more comfortable.

Started tri last year and also got a tri bike for the longer distances. You do sit quite forward and ride on your quads a lot more, so sitting up is a little uncomfortable. But my saddle is level and generally I don't have any issues with riding in the upright position if we are for example sitting up while riding in a group.

Friend of mine had his bike setup redone at another LBS and after that he is way more comfortable.

That is what pisses me off the most.

Paying a grand for a setup and can literally feel its not right... So what to do?  Just call it school fees? Surely the fitter can't just let it go and say oops, sorry

Ride for a few weeks and let your body adjust. Then fix only the stuff that still hurts . Adjust the saddle tilt to preference. Dont lower it until the angle feels right.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Are you planning on doing triathlons or Time Trials (UCI sanctioned for licensed riders)?

If its for triathlons, make sure that the guy did not do a setup for UCI sanctioned Time Trials, as the latter has strict setup rules that is not present in Triathlons.

If its for time trials comfort goes out the window and you are setup to produce max power at max speed. 

Edited by JA-Q001

Are you planning on doing triathlons or Time Trials (UCI sanctioned for licensed riders)?

If its for triathlons, make sure that the guy did not do a setup for UCI sanctioned Time Trials, as the latter has strict setup rules that is not present in Triathlons.

If its for time trials comfort goes out the window and you are setup to produce max power at max speed. 

No he is very aware that I needed it for Ironman

f it was me I would take it back to the guy that did the setup. Let him re-adjust the saddle and re-check his measurements.

That is what pisses me off the most.

Paying a grand for a setup and can literally feel its not right... So what to do?  Just call it school fees? Surely the fitter can't just let it go and say oops, sorry

I was quite lucky, guys said if anything feels uncomfortable I could go back and they'll adjust accordingly. But my setup wasn't that aggressive, guessing the more aggressive the setup the less lenient it becomes...

Would also give it some time before adjusting. It does take some getting use to as there is more strain on the neck area.

f it was me I would take it back to the guy that did the setup. Let him re-adjust the saddle and re-check his measurements.

I did ask him if I could come back and he noted that I should just tilt the saddle upward as that will be fine and that he is fully booked