Let's see those Silverbacks

WeekendWarrior80

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have toyed with the idea of having mine stripped. How much does it cost?

a wire brush, about 6 sheets of sandpaper, vinyl masking decals, a roll of masking tape, good paint (primer, colour and clear varnish), around 8 hours of sanding and polishing, masking and painting, so essentially patience and then good car polish to finish it off.

a wire brush, about 6 sheets of sandpaper, vinyl masking decals, a roll of masking tape, good paint (primer, colour and clear varnish), around 8 hours of sanding and polishing, masking and painting, so essentially patience and then good car polish to finish it off.

Dang! I get new money at the end of every month - but my time on earth is running out. I'd rather pay someone to do that. 

Came out really nicely. I still need to sort out the mess of cables, and then put the purple fork decals on - but overall a very nice build!

It's amazing how geometry changes the way a bike rides. All the parts came off my Cotic Solaris which I loved, but it was more XC oriented. The slack HA and steep STA along with the long wheel base makes the bike super stable. I recon it will be right at home on places like Status Quo.

I opted for a shorter travel - 130mm instead of 140mm to correct the geo from running a 27.5x2.8" rear wheel with a 29x2.5 front wheel. The idea is to have the more predictable steering of the normal front wheel with the comfort and damping qualities of the plus size rear wheel.

Just one ride in, but I am extremely happy with this bike and can see myself spending alot of time on this bike and a bit less on the full suspension enduro bike.

post-82251-0-82123600-1574878591_thumb.jpgpost-82251-0-18154400-1574878602_thumb.jpgpost-82251-0-24552100-1574878615_thumb.jpg

Came out really nicely. I still need to sort out the mess of cables, and then put the purple fork decals on - but overall a very nice build!

It's amazing how geometry changes the way a bike rides. All the parts came off my Cotic Solaris which I loved, but it was more XC oriented. The slack HA and steep STA along with the long wheel base makes the bike super stable. I recon it will be right at home on places like Status Quo.

I opted for a shorter travel - 130mm instead of 140mm to correct the geo from running a 27.5x2.8" rear wheel with a 29x2.5 front wheel. The idea is to have the more predictable steering of the normal front wheel with the comfort and damping qualities of the plus size rear wheel.

Just one ride in, but I am extremely happy with this bike and can see myself spending alot of time on this bike and a bit less on the full suspension enduro bike.

Screenshot_20191127-201603_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20191127-201545_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20191127-201530_WhatsApp.jpg

Congrats man! That looks flippen nice!

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20191127-201603_WhatsApp.jpgattachicon.gifScreenshot_20191127-201545_WhatsApp.jpgattachicon.gifScreenshot_20191127-201530_WhatsApp.jpg

Digging the purple grips - great match and lekker build!

These Slades are seriously capable bikes. 3 rides in - my observations so far: The length of the bike makes it incredibly stable, the head angle means you never feel like you are going over the bars. Plus tyre at the back was the right call for me, it gives a ton of comfort on rocky descents. The 2.5" 29er on the front gives alot of grip and predictability.

Climbing - it's absolutely not a marathon bike and it is a bit heavy, but like most bikes with a steep seat tube it climbs very comfortably and is quite easy to get around tight switchbacks despite it being so long.

The downsides - the top tube cable routing is terrible, it does not really cater for left hand rear brake riders and the cables rattle against your handlebar. There are no veins for internal routing so the cables rattle around in there like crazy. I will get some sleeves from a Giant dealer to wrap the cables at some point.

Other downside of that top tube routing is that water gets into the frame when you wash it, and that goes and sits in the bb - not ideal.

Other than that I am extremely impressed with the frame so far and I will be spending alot more time on it. It feels right at home at Helderberg - more than I can say for the previous hardtail frame!

Other downside of that top tube routing is that water gets into the frame when you wash it, and that goes and sits in the bb - not ideal.

Drill a small hole in the bottom of the BB. You don't have a warranty anyway.