How long do you ride a saddle for?

Mopkop

Hi Guys

Trust youre all well. Ive been on a spez Romin 143mm for longer than 3 years now on both my road and 29er.

For the past 2 weeks my sit bones have been going numb/eina/dead within 20mins of my ride. Had a saddle sore on each cheek last week but thats all cleared up now but it feel like the bone itself is sore.

I was told/advised that it could be time for a different saddle, maybe something with more cushion?

I ride with craft/rapid sport/ciovita/assos bibs and I get the same feeling with either of the bibs?

Did the Baviaans/DC/Stellies tour last year with no issues what so ever

Currently averaging about 10-13hours per week

All advice welcome

My arse will tell you that saddles wear out! They also lose their stiffness and kind of collapse, stick your thumb in the middle of it and see how much flex there is. If you like the saddle and it just looks like it wore out, get the same again or go look for something new.

But your issues definitely sound like they originate from your saddle, in my opinion.

Just beware... More padding does not equal more comfortable!

Get a fit or see if any of the Fizik test saddles feel nice. 

It is such an important contact point on the bike and people refuse to spend money on it.

A saddle that fits and offers hours of comfort is worth the 2500 zar and day of the week

Hi Guys

Trust youre all well. Ive been on a spez Romin 143mm for longer than 3 years now on both my road and 29er.

For the past 2 weeks my sit bones have been going numb/eina/dead within 20mins of my ride. Had a saddle sore on each cheek last week but thats all cleared up now but it feel like the bone itself is sore.

I was told/advised that it could be time for a different saddle, maybe something with more cushion?

I ride with craft/rapid sport/ciovita/assos bibs and I get the same feeling with either of the bibs?

Did the Baviaans/DC/Stellies tour last year with no issues what so ever

Currently averaging about 10-13hours per week

All advice welcome

my immediate response is go for a back scan. others may disagree, but refereed pain from nerves in the lumbar region may account for the pain.

my immediate response is go for a back scan. others may disagree, but refereed pain from nerves in the lumbar region may account for the pain.

Ive go to the chiro regularly as my left leg is constantly shorter than the right, esp after a 4 week heavy training block. He does the alignment stuffs and then all is well again.

I'll have to go for a check up with him

Ive go to the chiro regularly as my left leg is constantly shorter than the right, esp after a 4 week heavy training block. He does the alignment stuffs and then all is well again.

make effort to speak to a biokinetist, there is a reason your hips twist out of joint and you get longer legs on one side. While it might not go away, it will at least be better and perhaps along the way you might sort out your saddle problem.

find a biokinetist that works well with a physiotherapist. The two I use are a good team in that they understand their boundaries as what they can do as professional health care practitioners. Worth every cent !

I have a brooks saddle. When I see that it is starting to sag, I just tighten it a bit and Bob's your uncle. Awesome saddles, and when broken in, they are super comfy.

YMMV, but I am not a weight weenie.

Saddles can sag due to the padding getting tired or the 'chassis' can develop cracks that are not visible when the seat is not loaded. After a crash the seat rails can get bent and this may not be visible unless you look carefully. If it suddenly starts hurting you after being ok for a while then replace.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Did you do much riding over December? I find after returning from a break the rear is not as tough as it used to be.  :blush:

Sounds like hip misalignment - same with me. Good physio will tell you what to stretch and what to strengthen to fix it properly. Karen Frye (personally) in Durbanville is brilliant.

And then a good bike setup might help as well - in my case Christoff Smit in Stellenbosch reckons my cleat and saddle position were exascerbating the hip issue. A week and 2 good rides later I am feeling much better already.

I would actually recommend Christoff 1st, since he is a physio and can have a look at setup and the body

A pity you in the Cape (maybe for only this one thing) 

But I have a great Physio/Bio here in JHB who helps a lot of runners and cyclists with alignment issues.

Sorted my issue out before last years dusi2c and havent had issues since! 

I have a brooks saddle. When I see that it is starting to sag, I just tighten it a bit and Bob's your uncle. Awesome saddles, and when broken in, they are super comfy.

YMMV, but I am not a weight weenie.

My Brooks saddle only has about 200km on it, and I don't see it wearing out any time soon. It's so comfortable it's scary, and it still has a long way to go before it's worn in :) Took about 1.5 turns on the tensioner to get the middle of the seat nice and firm after the maiden voyage, and now I wait until the next adjustment :) :)

I presume all your bib shorts are still cool

Saddles outlast bib shorts big time

Just checking

Another thought

There may be a tweak in your set-up / position necessary

One's body changes. Thus set-up tweaks are not uncommon.