C5/C6 prolapsed disc - the return

Two years ago, I was diagnosed with a prolapsed disc at C5/6. It manifested in aching after about 2-3hrs in the saddle (road) as well as extreme neck angles such as drinking out of a bottle etc as well as numb/tingling pinky and ring fingers in left hand

At the time I did physio that didn't help, eventually was scheduled for fusion (gung-ho neuro), but thankfully a second opinion suggested a neck brace (sensible neuro), which seemed to make things better. Took about 6weeks for symptoms such as the pain/numbness described above to subside and disappear. I was told to get off the bike for 6-9months, but this turned out far longer 

Now, two years later I'm getting twinges in my neck when bending my head backwards. I'm still on my road bike and distances aren't extreme (~80km max a time, ~350km/month). 

My thoughts are to moderate things and monitor how things feel and try to correlate pain/discomfort with what riding I'm doing what what events transpire along the way before resorting to physios and neuros again. Hating facing the prospect of being forced off the bike again.

Can any body give any experience/direction that can assist?

I had spinal fractures of T3 and T5 about 6 years ago. T2 to T7 now fused. In the same incident and possibly affected by older injuries, the disc between C2 and C3 was damaged with the disc compressed a bit (but not prolapsed). Infammation after the surgery for the fusion as well as the C2/C3 thing gave me similar symptoms of numbness/tingling in triceps lower forearm and pinky fingers. Took about a year to subside and I was off cycling for about a year. I still get it mildly from time to time. With the upper spine fusion and reduced mobility in my neck I also can no longer tilt my head back fully .... difficult to empty a can of beer now unless I tilt my head sideways[emoji48]

Riding wise I now set a much more upright stance on my Mtb than before. 30mm of spacers under a short stem with a 20mm riser bar... If I was in drops on a roadbike I reckon I would only be able to see about 5m ahead. Upright stance makes it harder to climb very steep stuff without lifting the bars. I compensate by pedalling smooth circles in spds instead of mashing the pedals only on the downstroke.

It gets better, slowly, so be patient. 1st thing is to allow as much healing as possible then be careful to do all the exercises your physio gives you.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edited by JXV

I fractured t7 in matric - my vertebrate was the shape of a triangle (+-20 years ago)

Doc at that time said I need op with fusion ... I said no - he was not happy

I still get the odd back pain today - but have full flexibility in my back.

Can ride drops / mountain bike / etc etc

Had a big wipe out - and thought I damaged it a year ago, but turned out I had a bruised sternum.

I would avoid back ops.

I cant give you direction, only your neurosurgeon can do that,..... however, I can tell you my experience, I had a cervical fusion C5-7 and a Lumbar fusion T5/6 around 10 years ago, this was after months of trying the usual Physio / Traction route, nothing worked, it got so bad my left arm was so weak I could barely cut a slice of bread and I was having difficulty depressing the clutch in my car my leg was getting so weak.

I went to Dr Weinberg, a Neurosurgeon at Linksfield hospital two days before Easter, after an examination he told me I have three choices, I go home fetch my stuff and he operates tomorrow, my wife goes home to fetch my stuff and I go straight to the hospital bed and he operates tomorrow,.... or I leave and go to another surgeon. Brutal...but it was what I needed to hear. 

I elected to go home and fetch my stuff, he operated the next day on my neck and two days later on my back,......... and the relief was immediate, I was in the neuro ward for a week but it was like I had suddenly seen the sun, there was no pain, no discomfort, nothing.

The recovery was slow but within 6/7 months I was back to doing almost everything I did before (carefully) and although I have lost some movement in my neck and back its hardly an issue.

Its around 10 years now and I have never looked back, undergoing the operation was probably the best thing I ever did, I run, I cycle, I hike, I swim and apart from bungee jumping there is nothing I feel I cant do.

The operation was a complete success and to this day I still send Dr Weinberg a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label Whiskey every Christmas, a superb surgeon who saved my mobility.      

I cant give you direction, only your neurosurgeon can do that,..... however, I can tell you my experience, I had a cervical fusion C5-7 and a Lumbar fusion T5/6 around 10 years ago, this was after months of trying the usual Physio / Traction route, nothing worked, it got so bad my left arm was so weak I could barely cut a slice of bread and I was having difficulty depressing the clutch in my car my leg was getting so weak.

I went to Dr Weinberg, a Neurosurgeon at Linksfield hospital two days before Easter, after an examination he told me I have three choices, I go home fetch my stuff and he operates tomorrow, my wife goes home to fetch my stuff and I go straight to the hospital bed and he operates tomorrow,.... or I leave and go to another surgeon. Brutal...but it was what I needed to hear. 

I elected to go home and fetch my stuff, he operated the next day on my neck and two days later on my back,......... and the relief was immediate, I was in the neuro ward for a week but it was like I had suddenly seen the sun, there was no pain, no discomfort, nothing.

The recovery was slow but within 6/7 months I was back to doing almost everything I did before (carefully) and although I have lost some movement in my neck and back its hardly an issue.

Its around 10 years now and I have never looked back, undergoing the operation was probably the best thing I ever did, I run, I cycle, I hike, I swim and apart from bungee jumping there is nothing I feel I cant do.

The operation was a complete success and to this day I still send Dr Weinberg a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label Whiskey every Christmas, a superb surgeon who saved my mobility.      

Same here C5-C7 titanium plate never looked back took 3mth to get back to almost normal, now 6 years later do not notice anymore that neck movement was restricted body adapts.

Best think I have ever done.

I went to Dr Weinberg's partner Dr Hanhle. Mine was a prolapsed disc in my back. Pretty much the same experience as you. Went in the next day, a Wednesday, had a operation to insert an artificial disc and walked out of hospital the Friday. I know Dr Weinberg is absolutely brilliant.

What would I have done different? I would have had it done much earlier, I lived with unbearable pain for 2 years. I must be 10 years post-op and can say that my back has not bothered me again. I have done Comrades, IronMan and a few Epics. 

I currently have the same issue. Manifested last year as finger tingling, physiotherapy fixed it. Came back big time in December, neck brace for a week, physio since then, not helping. Manifests as tingly fingers and arm pain on the left side, no pain in my neck. Go back to doctor for reference to neuro surgeon on Thursday.

Been off the mtb since December, I find I can ride the indoor trainer with little discomfort, somehow the more upright mtb position is more painful for me. Also don't need to look up on the indoor trainer.

This 6 month thing scares me, I have entered Lesotho Sky this year and I don't plan on missing it for the world.

I went to Dr Weinberg's partner Dr Hanhle. Mine was a prolapsed disc in my back. Pretty much the same experience as you. Went in the next day, a Wednesday, had a operation to insert an artificial disc and walked out of hospital the Friday. I know Dr Weinberg is absolutely brilliant.

What would I have done different? I would have had it done much earlier, I lived with unbearable pain for 2 years. I must be 10 years post-op and can say that my back has not bothered me again. I have done Comrades, IronMan and a few Epics. 

Indeed, I also went through hell for ages trying all the "soft" options, but Dr Weinberg was brutal and I appreciated that, he told me exactly what was wrong and how it has to be repaired and....well, if I didn't like it, go elsewhere.!

I was immediately at ease with him, there was no doubt in my mind he was on top of things.  

....I dont know Dr Hanhle but all I can agree Dr Weinberg is a brilliant surgeon.

I currently have the same issue. Manifested last year as finger tingling, physiotherapy fixed it. Came back big time in December, neck brace for a week, physio since then, not helping. Manifests as tingly fingers and arm pain on the left side, no pain in my neck. Go back to doctor for reference to neuro surgeon on Thursday.

Been off the mtb since December, I find I can ride the indoor trainer with little discomfort, somehow the more upright mtb position is more painful for me. Also don't need to look up on the indoor trainer.

This 6 month thing scares me, I have entered Lesotho Sky this year and I don't plan on missing it for the world.

If its just cervical (neck) I am sure the recovery will be quicker,.... remember I had a Cervical and a Lumbar fusion so my recovery was slower (plus I was in my late 40's) so that also played a role as well I guess.

I am sure if you discuss it with your surgeon he will be able to give you time frames for recovery on your particular issue. 

If its just cervical (neck) I am sure the recovery will be quicker,.... remember I had a Cervical and a Lumbar fusion so my recovery was slower (plus I was in my late 40's) so that also played a role as well I guess.

I am sure if you discuss it with your surgeon he will be able to give you time frames for recovery on your particular issue.

Thanks