Western Cape Camping and Cycling Getaway

Chadryanstephenson

Hey guys

I live in Cape Town, and wanting to go away camping for a weekend with my bike, any ideas on places to stay with good MTB routes nearby? I'm sure there are so many places an hour or two away that are amazing, just need to find them!

2de Tol. Warm up over Bainskloof, ride Welvanpas and back via Bainskloof for a dip in the river when you get back,

Kleinmond - Hemel en Aarde is just around the corner

2de Tol. Warm up over Bainskloof, ride Welvanpas and back via Bainskloof for a dip in the river when you get back,

Kleinmond - Hemel en Aarde is just around the corner

2de Tol still a decent option? Last I heard it was a bit run-down?

Hey guys

I live in Cape Town, and wanting to go away camping for a weekend with my bike, any ideas on places to stay with good MTB routes nearby? I'm sure there are so many places an hour or two away that are amazing, just need to find them!

It's not an hour away but the Garden Route Trail Park. AMAZING trail. There's a house AT that trail head. The house is R2000 a night and sleeps 8 so take some mates. 

Bikes, Beer, Braai. Waht could possibly be better.

It's not an hour away but the Garden Route Trail Park. AMAZING trail. There's a house AT that trail head. The house is R2000 a night and sleeps 8 so take some mates.

And over the braai you can chat to Rob regarding his experiences with "boer soek ń vrou"

... sleep. Repeat. X 3

2de Tol still a decent option? Last I heard it was a bit run-down?

post-2696-0-93385100-1484718543_thumb.jpg

post-2696-0-62247000-1484718549_thumb.jpg

post-2696-0-64157000-1484718556_thumb.jpg

post-2696-0-12443300-1484718571_thumb.jpg

We camped there about 6 months ago. The showers are in great shape and well kept. Only downside was they dont have power.

The camp sites near the kids play ground look like the get flooded easily and some where wet when we went. But those further up under the trees where great !

We camped there about 6 months ago. The showers are in great shape and well kept. Only downside was they dont have power.

The camp sites near the kids play ground look like the get flooded easily and some where wet when we went. But those further up under the trees where great !

Thanks for the update! Looks like they fixed her up a bit, must make a plan to go back there in summer

(Not as brave as you to do the winter camping thing  :ph34r: )

post-2696-0-20373900-1484720132_thumb.jpg

post-2696-0-61737900-1484720140_thumb.jpg

post-2696-0-47137600-1484720120_thumb.jpg

post-2696-0-76276600-1484720112_thumb.jpg

another place to consider is Bontebok national park. The camping is awesome. Facilities, nice and clean. Powered and non powered camp sites. For road biking you have parts the DC route. Mtn biking, you can ride around the park all you want, then stacks of farm roads to explore. And also just a good general tourist attraction spot, right next to swellendam.

1½ hours from  Cape Town

!kwa ttu mountain bike trails west coast...they have camping and self cater.not the best trail in the western cape but worth the ride 

Darling ...Wolwefontein.

PS top up the sealant in your tyres..lots of thorns on these trails

Edited by HowardSteele