Review: Santa Cruz Hightower

Bike Hub Features

I'm sure loving mine. Interesting comment about it riding high with the RCT shock.....mine rides lowish with a Fox FloatX fitted with the Evol air can. For my weight around 88 - 90kg I have to run about 320psi to get 30%sag (shock limit is 350) and it is still super plush. I would prefer less sag, maybe 25% but this puts the shock pressure close to the limit. I think its not the bike's fault though...maybe Evol aircans are not intended for riders in my weight class.

So mine bobs a bit when pedalling in open mode but I use the Med setting a lot on the flats and hills, and Firm mode on tar.

At the front I have a 150 Pike. Running 29er wheels with 2.3 rubber. Have not tried a 27.5+ set yet.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edited by JXV

Looks nice. What's to stop anyone from whacking 27.5 wheels on any 29er? Surely it would just be a matter of changing 'em round and going for a ride. I mean, I whacked a 150mm fork on my previous 26 S-Works Epic and it handled like a boss with the resultant change in head angle, so I'm not going to buy the 'but it will affect the geometry' obfuscation argument....what do the fundis reckon?

There has only been one bike to sway my choice from the Reign and it's this. Keeping in mind that I've been on the Reign since 2005, proof that it will take something really, really special for me to window shop.. 

What a beautiful bike!

PS, Irony is that back then it was the Nomad that got me looking for a long travel do it all bike. Life clearly being all about revolutions!

Looks nice. What's to stop anyone from whacking 27.5 wheels on any 29er? Surely it would just be a matter of changing 'em round and going for a ride. I mean, I whacked a 150mm fork on my previous 26 S-Works Epic and it handled like a boss with the resultant change in head angle, so I'm not going to buy the 'but it will affect the geometry' obfuscation argument....what do the fundis reckon?

27.5+, not 27.5....big difference! Hightower has clearance for up to 3.0 tyres on 45mm 27.5+ rims but 2.8 plus wheels are preferred. These have almost the same rolling diameter as 29er. If you put normal 27.5 wheels on the average modern 29er you'll likely get a lot of pedal strikes due to lowering the bb by about 20mm with the smaller wheels.

Lot of Hightower owners choose 150mm forks so that they have the option to swap between 27.5+ and 29er wheelsets without adjusting fork travel. I agree with you that 10mm difference in fork travel can't be that drastic in terms of handling but given that the bike is long and slack, adding more travel lifts the front in climbs and may make it wander a bit more on steep ascents. Between 140/150 forks and hi/low flip chip positions you can adjust the geo a bit.

I get less pedal strikes on Highrower than on the TB LTc but i still wouldn't run the flip chip in low with 27.5+ wheels on.....

Some guys are also 'long shocking' their Hightowers to get 150mm rear travel but this voids warranty and maybe also longevity.

Edited by JXV

Some guys are also 'long shocking' their Hightowers to get 150mm rear travel but this voids warranty and maybe also longevity.

Heard SC are working on the rear linkage.. I like that bikes now have so many options to run different almost everything. Before one would have to buy new for even the slightest change. 

Folk will tell you to be careful with longer forks than the frame is designed for. But if you can get the head angle right, and try watch the bottom bracket height - which will be a fair bit lower, its fun trying.

Most frames can handle a longer fork no problem - 20mm of extra travel is unlikely to break the frame. If its does it was badly made in the first place. I have seen Spaz enduro's with Boxxer double crown forks on them. 

Its a lovely bike but I missed the price - no doubt a ridiculous R95k or something... a far cry from a 26" Anthem and hardly 10x better or more fun to ride. My 6 year old  26er has 412mm chainstays without even trying by the way :-)

Tyre width clearance will stop you

I rode a test bike and loved it! I could feel that it was longer than what Im used to riding, but the length makes it so stable at high speed; this makes you ride faster and faster. You actually don't realise how fast you were on the Hightower, until you get back on your regular steed and hit the same trails, try to match the speed and still be smooth. Smooth is fast (in my opinion). buy this bike if you like to ride WIDE OPEN THROTTLE!

I cant decide whether the reviewer (Iwan?) liked the bike or not.

I wish i could add the Hightower to my stable... but alas, I love my wife and a divorce would not be worth it!

The struggle is real!