Karoo to Coast 2017

LeoKnight

I did the first few on a chromoly Diamondback Ascent HT. Then some on a Giant NRS DS. Then some more on a Giant Anthem DS. The last couple I have been using a Giant XTC HT, which has become my K2C bike. All of them 26". 

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After the rain damage a few years ago , the jeep track on way down the WaPad was pretty sketchy, HTs might be a bit touch n go.

But that is like 1 maybe 2 kms out of the whole 100km distance? I'm sure anyone who rides their hardtail frequently would have no real problem with that downhill

through the whole race how much time would you lose if you are carefull downhilling a bit slower with hardtail to just bombing down with a duel??

lets say roughly for the average midpack rider total climbing is roughly 2:30 hours a lightweight hardtail how much faster would you climb than your 2-3kg heavier duel suspension...probably not more than 30 minutes? 

that is a lot!!!

He's yanking yer chain.  :whistling:

Time is much more influenced by the grip your tyres offer, your fitness and skill level as well as the gearing you are going to ride with. 

I expect my super slick tyres and 1x10 drive train to add about 15 minutes to my time of last year, so I am looking at 4:20 this year.

Me and the mates got compo going with few bucks in jar, the only thing is they all weight in at 75kg en Im tipping the scales on 85kg so everythings got to be done to have an little edge on the mates

But that is like 1 maybe 2 kms out of the whole 100km distance? I'm sure anyone who rides their hardtail frequently would have no real problem with that downhill

I suppose its a pay off that one needs to internalize.

I won't risk a broken clavicle on that 5km section for the 1.5kg saving that a HT would give over the climbs. But in my case, my legs are stronger than my skills. I also prefer the dually for the potted roads, where I can just concentrate on pedaling. But thats just the dirt roadie in me.

My post refer to "I won't" not "you must", you guys can do what you want. 

I suppose its a pay off that one needs to internalize.

I won't risk a broken clavicle on that 5km section for the 1.5kg saving that a HT would give over the climbs. But in my case, my legs are stronger than my skills. I also prefer the dually for the potted roads, where I can just concentrate on pedaling. But thats just the dirt roadie in me.

My post refer to "I won't" not "you must", you guys can do what you want. 

Mountain bike advice from a #roadie   :whistling: 

Nonsense, unless that was before 2011, but since then I rode all of them and it is perfectly fine on a hard tail. Unless you are a pensioner, then you might want to opt for easy mode on a duelly. 

The last year I rode, was when Matt won an emotional race, 5 out of the top 6 men were on dualies, think it was only Alan Gordon on a HT and ladies podium was also all dualies..... bunch of pensioners.

Its my first Karoo to Coast, how does one go about the logistics of start and finish being in different towns? I've heard rumours of a bus service between Knysna and Uniondale, but nothing more.

ps: I will be riding a HT.