Karoo to Coast 2017

LeoKnight

The last year I rode, was when Matt won an emotional race, 5 out of the top 6 men were on dualies, think it was only Alan Gordon on a HT and ladies podium was also all dualies..... bunch of pensioners.

There's always that one oke that's going to be more 'hard core' than you, i.e. DS? Pfft said the HT rider. HT? Pfft said the SS Rider...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its my first Karoo to Coast, how does one go about the logistics of start and finish being in different towns? I've heard rumours of a bus service between Knysna and Uniondale, but nothing more.

ps: I will be riding a HT.

HT rider! That's the spirit. Normally for a route like this you would want a support crew to take care of your travel logistics for you.

If you are getting dropped off at Uniondale I suggest the Southern entrance to the town. 

What's a good time to arrive at the school on Saturday for camping for a spot, does it get full quickly...is it the only camping place with facilities?, can I take a small braai and use it there?

He's yanking yer chain.  :whistling:

Time is much more influenced by the grip your tyres offer, your fitness and skill level as well as the gearing you are going to ride with. 

I expect my super slick tyres and 1x10 drive train to add about 15 minutes to my time of last year, so I am looking at 4:20 this year.

Listen to the man that prefers grippy tyres.... :whistling:  :whistling:

Way when back when everybody were riding 26" hardtails with only the supercool guys with 30mm front travel and cantilever brakes. And the Ou Wapad was two dongas 500mm apart.

Ride anything you like. You will be fine :thumbup:

Edit -Spelling

Edited by TIB

Way when back when everybody were riding 26" hardtails with only the supercool guys with 30mm front travel and cantilever brakes. And the Ou Wapad was two dongas 500mm apart.

Ride anything you like. You will be fine :thumbup:

I wanna ride my tricycle this year:

http://image.11street.my/editorImg/2016/08/23/51688367/2016082309272343761.jpeg

I wanna ride my tricycle this year:

http://image.11street.my/editorImg/2016/08/23/51688367/2016082309272343761.jpeg

Seriaaas??

It's a one day race... :clap:  :clap:

What's a good time to arrive at the school on Saturday for camping for a spot, does it get full quickly...is it the only camping place with facilities?, can I take a small braai and use it there?

There's usually a few options for camping - one used to be able to pre-book a tent with mattress at the school, and there is also some organised camping just before the entrance to the showgrounds (showing up earlier here is advisable). 

I would however recommend sommer camping on the showgrounds - have done it twice, and can't think that it will ever be full.  Braai'ed and used a Cadac previously, so no probs there.  Just a word of advice - it can get VERY cold during the night, so come prepared!  First time round I woke up with calves cramping from the cold - not a good start to the day!  Second time round we managed to 'upgrade' to the stables as someone didn't pitch - waaaay better option! 

Oh and if you don't feel like braaiing, there's always the famous spaghetti bolognaise...

A word of advice.

In 2015, I arrived at the registration and watched a guy arrive fresh from Cape Town, complete with his and his buddy's bikes on the bike-rack. As he was busy disembarking, I noticed a very strong rubbery smell, and looked to his wheels, only to see that his brand new tyre has been melted in it's chops by the very hot exhaust, as it was mounted directly in front of the exhaust pipe. 

There are no bicycle shops in Uniondale. Not even on K2C weekend. Come prepared. And make sure your bike is safely hung on the bike rack, before leaving. I don't know the fate of the poor oke, but by the look of things, I am guessing he did not ride. I am not sure as to the fate of his carbon rim either, but things were looking decidedly sad that afternoon for him.

A word of advice.

In 2015, I arrived at the registration and watched a guy arrive fresh from Cape Town, complete with his and his buddy's bikes on the bike-rack. As he was busy disembarking, I noticed a very strong rubbery smell, and looked to his wheels, only to see that his brand new tyre has been melted in it's chops by the very hot exhaust, as it was mounted directly in front of the exhaust pipe. 

There are no bicycle shops in Uniondale. Not even on K2C weekend. Come prepared. And make sure your bike is safely hung on the bike rack, before leaving. I don't know the fate of the poor oke, but by the look of things, I am guessing he did not ride. I am not sure as to the fate of his carbon rim either, but things were looking decidedly sad that afternoon for him.

His brand new Stans Valor carbon rim melted in its moer in so be prepared and bring many bikes, transported by different means, you never know what hot pipe might melt your bike until it actually happens.

His brand new Stans Valor carbon rim melted in its moer in so be prepared and bring many bikes, transported by different means, you never know what hot pipe might melt your bike until it actually happens.

Haha, so you recall this? He drove some hot white hatch, right? I reckoned it must have happened when he tried to break the land-speed record between CT and Uniondale that fine Saturday.

The guy with the melted carbon rims is a famous bloke. Heard many stories about the same incident. If it was the some guy he should get a medal.

Haha, so you recall this? He drove some hot white hatch, right? I reckoned it must have happened when he tried to break the land-speed record between CT and Uniondale that fine Saturday.

Sorry no I`m confused I saw the melted Stans Valor here: