Cycling kit polls

Gavster229

Kit choice  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Which kit would you prefer?

• Top end, extremely well designed from local brand
    • Brand named kits e.g: Giant, Specialized etc.

You know I'm pulling your leg bud..... :)

Shame man. Andrew made Sappi kit a while ago.  I scored a few sets. The ladies lycra shorts are a hit with the men.  Because they are so short.  :clap:( Obviously the ladies are wearing the shorts :w00t: )

Chamois is super comfy

Edited by blondeonabike

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just making sure the roads are ready for you okes come March! The kalk bay pump track is a little interesting at the moment. Hopefully the final layer of tar goes on by March!

So if they aren't sorted I can hold you personally responsible?[emoji16]

Ok back to the account deleting thread.

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

...and trying to change that mentality  :blush: 

Cut me deep Patch  :thumbdown: 

Sorry Gav, I've semi hijacked your thread here. Will take my leave. All the best (I mean it), if you want any advice, info etc - please feel free to pm me. I'm well versed in the path you are heading down.

I think he may not know what you do :P

It's not design that holds back local manufacture of kit. Shirts seem to come close to being wearable if you pay attention to the cloth you are being offered.

But bibshorts are a long way off the standard of Santini, Castelli and Assos. I'm sure the spandex and padding are similar but the cut and finish are a long way off. But even those struggle to keep one comfortable on very long rides.

In the mid noughties Anatomic made a short with one big grey chamois, the cut was great in the gold label range and the pad worked for 8+ hour rides. Then they moved to a fancy moulded pad and their shorts became very ordinary.

So my advice is to focus on the fabric and cut and finish. Most cyclists have no taste at all when it comes to shirts. Just look at what you see on the roads and trails.

But the big opening is in quality black shorts.

It's not design that holds back local manufacture of kit. Shirts seem to come close to being wearable if you pay attention to the cloth you are being offered.

But bibshorts are a long way off the standard of Santini, Castelli and Assos. I'm sure the spandex and padding are similar but the cut and finish are a long way off. But even those struggle to keep one comfortable on very long rides.

In the mid noughties Anatomic made a short with one big grey chamois, the cut was great in the gold label range and the pad worked for 8+ hour rides. Then they moved to a fancy moulded pad and their shorts became very ordinary.

So my advice is to focus on the fabric and cut and finish. Most cyclists have no taste at all when it comes to shirts. Just look at what you see on the roads and trails.

But the big opening is in quality black shorts.

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it . and I agree that the cut and "build" quality needs to be spot on

Thank you, that is a very valid point. We are looking at the price structure and it is very tricky. getting to the same level as international brands is very costly, especially importing fabrics etc so thats usually why the prices are the same as the international brands. 

You should really investigate the tax and government funding initiatives for job creations on this. 

Even though you import the material, by having them stitched together in SA will lower the price drastically.

Look at Rapid sport who use imported Chamois and materials, yet they manage to push out a good quality value kit (not comparing the R&D used by brands like Castelli, Assos etc) for sub R500 a shirt and R800 bibs.

You should really investigate the tax and government funding initiatives for job creations on this. 

Even though you import the material, by having them stitched together in SA will lower the price drastically.

Look at Rapid sport who use imported Chamois and materials, yet they manage to push out a good quality value kit (not comparing the R&D used by brands like Castelli, Assos etc) for sub R500 a shirt and R800 bibs.

Thanks for the feedback and yes you are correct. It is one of the options we are exploring but getting that info from the relevant parties is taking some time.. they are not in a rush. Wow! 

Very valid point and we want to be a true local brand that can compete on the international market in the future.