Cycling kit polls

Gavster229

Kit choice  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Which kit would you prefer?

• Top end, extremely well designed from local brand
    • Brand named kits e.g: Giant, Specialized etc.

I am a big fan of First Ascent.

You asked so I'll tell you.

Jersey.

Must have. Full, quality zip on the front, zip on one of the pockets at the back. Some of the FA tops have this, some do not. I do not want to look like a pro or a billboard, I am neither. Plain colours, black is 1st choice, white is last. MTB.

Bib.

FA chamois are all over the place, some are good some are really bad. One range XL fits like a glove whilst another range makes me squeak! Not consistent, poor feed back from the shop I tried, Ridgeway? Rory. Poor feed back from the FA rep here in Jo,Burg.

Have a pair of Assos, worth every cent, quality and longevity. Make yours like that and you'll have a winner.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a big fan of First Ascent.

You asked so I'll tell you.

Jersey.

Must have. Full, quality zip on the front, zip on one of the pockets at the back. Some of the FA tops have this, some do not. I do not want to look like a pro or a billboard, I am neither. Plain colours, black is 1st choice, white is last. MTB.

Bib.

FA chamois are all over the place, some are good some are really bad. One range XL fits like a glove whilst another range makes me squeak! Not consistent, poor feed back from the shop I tried, Ridgeway? Rory. Poor feed back from the FA rep here in Jo,Burg.

Have a pair of Assos, worth every cent, quality and longevity. Make yours like that and you'll have a winner.

Thanks for the feedback. It will take a lot of time, research, development and money before we get to Assos level. Not to say we not heading that way, we are but it will take time. To come in at top level will be very unwise. 

We would like our clients to experience service they deserve and to grow with us long term.

So i think you should had added one/maybe two more categories here. "High End Overseas" as i am seeing more and more guys riding in Rapha and the likes here in Cape Town and then another category for brands like MAAP/Attaquer/The Pedla, etc. I would personally pick these "boutique" aussie brands any day of the week if i had the funds. Their designs are always amazing and I have some bibs and a tops from them and their quality is also exceptional.

If you are looking at what is missing on the SA cycling scene i would say it would have be that there are just too few options locally and the local market is just way too conservative when it comes to kit. A guy will go drop R6000 on a pair of Ass(os) bibs and a jersey while he could rather go and pic up something off MAAP or The Pedla that would really make him stand out.  

So i think you should had added one/maybe two more categories here. "High End Overseas" as i am seeing more and more guys riding in Rapha and the likes here in Cape Town and then another category for brands like MAAP/Attaquer/The Pedla, etc. I would personally pick these "boutique" aussie brands any day of the week if i had the funds. Their designs are always amazing and I have some bibs and a tops from them and their quality is also exceptional.

If you are looking at what is missing on the SA cycling scene i would say it would have be that there are just too few options locally and the local market is just way too conservative when it comes to kit. A guy will go drop R6000 on a pair of Ass(os) bibs and a jersey while he could rather go and pic up something off MAAP or The Pedla that would really make him stand out.  

Thanks Lylo, 

The local market is tricky and we hope to change it. change the mould and the perception that import is better. 

Thanks Lylo, 

The local market is tricky and we hope to change it. change the mould and the perception that import is better. 

Go check out some of the brands i mentioned on Instagram and have a look at the designs they bringing out. i feel like if you can get the quality right what then differentiates a brand is its own personal style. Are you going classic like Rapha, la passione, isadore, and the likes or are you going more trendy with stuff like Maap, Attaquer, The Pedla, Babici. If you ever need a test pilot I'm in ;-)