Canyon Stive vs. YT Capra vs. Radon Swoop 170

Odinson

28 members have voted

1. 1. Your choice?

• 2017 Canyon Strive AL 4.0 Race
    • 2017 YT Capra AL
    • 2017 Radon Swoop 170 7.0
    • 2016 Radon Swoop 170 7.0

Okay, so I'm finally on the cusp of my first n+1 bike and have decided on a balls-out AM rig. I've narrowed it down to the following:

• 2017 Canyon Strive AL 4.0 Race
  • 2017 YT Capra AL
  • 2016/7 Radon Swoop 170 7.0

ff4b635319a3b6969ddaab128616a.jpg

27.jpg

http://www.radon-bikes.de/fileadmin/_processed_/csm_899320_d441f6d2c2.jpg

In short, similar bikes, but with noteable differences. In short:

• The Strive is the raciest of the three, with the steepest geo and shortest travel. It's also the most expensive, but is only specced with a Yari RC - the rest of the components package is good.
  • The Capra the bare fisted brawler and has serious freeride/AM cred, but has quite conservative reach numbers and lots of folks metion sizing as a bit of an issue. It's got a Lyrik RC upfront.
  • The Swoop 170 the new kid on the block and is the 'biggest' of all the bikes with the long reach and wheelbase numbers and packs 170mm back and front. It received a glowing review recently over on Pinkbike, but could possible be a bit of a handful on slower, tamer trails. The 2016 version also has the Lyrik RCT3/Vivid Air combo, which is Gucci level suspension. The 2017 version in ly budget range has a Yari RC/Monarch Plus RC3 combo.  

So, what would you go for?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as you say, 3 very different bikes. Depends what you're after. If you want a poppy flickable scalpel of an AM bike, then it's the Canyon. If you want more of a heavy hitter that remains playful should you want it to, then the Capra. If you want a steamroller, then the Radon gets the vote. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Jeez, this is a tough choice!! I wouldn't know what to do in your shoes haha. But I think purely from a want perspective, I would go for the Canyon, just something about it that draws me to it!

Any choice you make you will be a happy camper though!

IMO - If you live overseas and close to big mountains with lift access, then the Capra or Swoop will both work well. Capra does come in XL although its still shortish. 

Does the Strive have the shapeshifter thingy? I rode the other day with a guy who is overseas based and on a new Strive I think. He wasnt that keen on the shapeshifter thing. To my mind simplicity is better and our bikes are complex enough as it is.

IMO - If you live overseas and close to big mountains with lift access, then the Capra or Swoop will both work well. Capra does come in XL although its still shortish. 

Does the Strive have the shapeshifter thingy? I rode the other day with a guy who is overseas based and on a new Strive I think. He wasnt that keen on the shapeshifter thing. To my mind simplicity is better and our bikes are complex enough as it is.

Well, I'm in Belgium and am also planning on doing a trip to the big mountains in the summer.

I'm not to keen on the Shapeshifter and have heard a lot of people moan about it failing.

One of my primary requirements is a longer bike, where I can feel centred on the bike and not have to hang off the back because of short reach/TT. That's why I'm also looking at the Swoop. The Capra has 444m reach in L, whereas the Swoop has 460mm in M and 473 in L. So, a lot longer, which can cut both ways.

I would buy a Spez....

'stek!

(I may or may not have looked into a 2017 Enduro, but they can't match the direct sales guys for value for money)

Well, I'm in Belgium and am also planning on doing a trip to the big mountains in the summer.

I'm not to keen on the Shapeshifter and have heard a lot of people moan about it failing.

One of my primary requirements is a longer bike, where I can feel centred on the bike and not have to hang off the back because of short reach/TT. That's why I'm also looking at the Swoop. The Capra has 444m reach in L, whereas the Swoop has 460mm in M and 473 in L. So, a lot longer, which can cut both ways.

well, considering that your other bike is the commie hardtail, I'd go for the Swoop. The 2016 one with the Vivid Air. 

well, considering that your other bike is the commie hardtail, I'd go for the Swoop. The 2016 one with the Vivid Air. 

AAGH! Tough choice.

I'm leaning towards the 2016 Swoop, if I can get one in stock. I think I'm going to opt for the 20" (L) frame. It has a reach of 473mm. For comparison's sake, a Pole Evolink 140 Medium frame (recommended for riders of 170-180cm; I'm 175cm) has a reach of 480mm, so I think it shouldn't be a problem.

Jeez what a set of choices. I'd personally be heading for the YT just because it covers most bases well but that reach might and sizing might be a deal breaker as well.

I was going to say what about a Transition Patrol (comes with a Lyrik / Super Deluxe combo) reach is more than the Capra, reviews are pretty awesome, head angle is slacker by a fraction at 65 degrees, wheels base is slightly longer and chain stays are the same. 

I would buy a Spez....

Well if a Spez was available as a direct sales model at comparable prices that would put one in the running - but they not and probably never will be.  

A longer bike makes a massive difference. My XL has 477 reach and it was a revelation moving from a short slack seat post bike to a 75deg seat tube and long reach/wheelbase frame.

Jeez what a set of choices. I'd personally be heading for the YT just because it covers most bases well but that reach might and sizing might be a deal breaker as well.

I was going to say what about a Transition Patrol (comes with a Lyrik / Super Deluxe combo) reach is more than the Capra, reviews are pretty awesome, head angle is slacker by a fraction at 65 degrees, wheels base is slightly longer and chain stays are the same. 

The Patrol is way out of budget, but seems to be a good bike.

Well if a Spez was available as a direct sales model at comparable prices that would put one in the running - but they not and probably never will be.  

A longer bike makes a massive difference. My XL has 477 reach and it was a revelation moving from a short slack seat post bike to a 75deg seat tube and long reach/wheelbase frame.

Yeah, that's what I want. I've got a shorty 150mm Commencal hardtail for general tomfoolery, so I think a looong dual-susser would be a good pairing.

AAGH! Tough choice.

I'm leaning towards the 2016 Swoop, if I can get one in stock. I think I'm going to opt for the 20" (L) frame. It has a reach of 473mm. For comparison's sake, a Pole Evolink 140 Medium frame (recommended for riders of 170-180cm; I'm 175cm) has a reach of 480mm, so I think it shouldn't be a problem.

At 175 I'd be wary of the large frame, if only due to the seat tube length limiting your choice of dropper due to your height - something this bike neeeeeds. You'll probably only be able to fit a 125mm dropper unless you have freakishly long legs for your height. If you're happy with that, well then that's okay.

From an ETT perspective the large is relatively short at 614 vs it's 473mm reach, and the medium is just under 600mm and with a reach of 460mm but - critically - with a 3cm shorter seat tube. 

On the face of it, I'd recommend a medium Swoop. It's still got a reach longer than that of my Large Reign. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew