Dis-Chem Ride For Sight 2017

GaryvdM

Hey guys . So had to ride VA today as missed my elite start . Borrowed a bottle from a team geanies guy . Can anyone put me in touch , would like to return his bottle

Irshaad, i gave you the bottle. No need to return it. Thanks for following up though.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Three crashes in AL, one looked bad.

I don't know what went wrong everyone rode like a tool. Time was ok but like stated above it was chaos on the road.

I didn't enjoy the race to be honest. (Macsteel and Emperors are the ones I'll do from now on)

15-20 people pulled the AL group and as soon as we went past Carnival City, EVERYONE tried being in the front of the group between those cones and stuff. Now that caused a bit of a nervous reaction when some saw the front of the group and BOOM down they went.

Harder racing usually tents to keep things straight and tidy but so many didnt even roll through once but wanted to go sprint.. Meh

Nice race all-and-all. Have done it for the last 4 years and there are ALWAYS the same issues. Not sure it will ever change. Guys drifting over the white line at the back of Suikerbos, Potholes(actually only saw one or two this year), cones in the road, joining the slower riders at the end of the race and the two 90deg turns leading into the finish. Not a great race to actually race if you ask me, but a lekker day out none the less.

15-20 people pulled the AL group and as soon as we went past Carnival City, EVERYONE tried being in the front of the group between those cones and stuff. Now that caused a bit of a nervous reaction when some saw the front of the group and BOOM down they went.

Harder racing usually tents to keep things straight and tidy but so many didnt even roll through once but wanted to go sprint.. Meh

I was wondering if I should stay in the Vets racing bunch or rather return to Open seeded after my last couple of races, as I hang on as long as I can and then need to Time trial or work with few other. But after your post I remember why I am not there anymore

Cones at speed + merging of courses = ambush

Must say the cones was not to much of issue for me, Except when one guy came to pull on the front and then decided to go to the other side of cones.

Could see cars coming and he was now in front of fast moving bunch while on the wrong side of cones , need to then get timing correct to get back between cones, while not going into the bunch. People make strange decisions.

Edited by Cheese

Hi Guys

Im glad everyone are ok,we had a big crash in DL,people riding over the fallen cyclists and almost ending up in front of oncoming cars.

Hope the guys who fell,are are.

Keef safe everyone

Hi Guys

Im glad everyone are ok,we had a big crash in DL,people riding over the fallen cyclists and almost ending up in front of oncoming cars.

Hope the guys who fell,are are.

Keef safe everyone

Saw a big crash on that tokoza road heading towards Vereeninging not sure if its the same one you talking about but it looked bad saw lots of blood.....

Lets hope nothing major

Thats the one mate,i was one wheel behind it.

It was hectic.

Cyclist going over handlebars and so.

Saw a big crash on that tokoza road heading towards Vereeninging not sure if its the same one you talking about but it looked bad saw lots of blood.....

Lets hope nothing major

Sure I get that but I'm talking about the back enders results in previous races and also the age group comparison in these races which show they way off yet are lic. 

There are guys that take chances. Hell I'm barely hanging on to the elites now. But sooner or later (if you're serious about racing) you have to leave seeded and move to licensed. AL does not teach you proper bunch riding skills, it's not particularly hard racing and it's frustrating to see the guys in the back try to take the win if you've been on the front the whole day.

Besides there's nothing like racing your way to get stronger. Riding at FTP or higher until you pop and then suffering home makes you *** strong. 

Also AFAIK if you've been dropped from a licensed group we're not allowed to latch on or form groups with other riders except your own group. We have to keep left and limp home

On a different note, what is the rules in SA road races regarding using sitting in the slip of traffic to get paced back to the bunch?

About 40km in we saw 3 elite riders sitting in the slip of a truck going past us, thought it was dodge af

I got my butt dropped around 60km from AL only for the AL bunch to sit up 500m later and I just could never reach them and sat 400m behind AL for quite some time. Disappointed about that but only lost 10min in the end to AL front. (one of those "if I only hung on for 1 more km" situations)

I finished with VC bunch who where all good riders other than being forced off the road completely when a rider swong left after passing 2 short course riders bumping me off the road on his inside... luckily my mtb skills kept me upright and I could hop back onto the road without losing much speed. (my appologies to the guys behind if I gave them a bit of a fright - was about survival)

the section past Carnival was chaos! 

B batch rode pretty well today and I did not see any crashes.

In my experience BL typically rides more disciplined than the AL gang.

Don't have racing license so cannot comment on the V batches first hand. Have been told they are normally pretty good but circus in VB today does not seem to support that

I am not too sure about this... BL started coming past the VC group at the Carnival chaos and it was utter mayhem. The lot that came through there was mental and the fact that there where no crashes was just plain luck. I think that through that section which was clearly the most dangerous section in the entire race the lack of common courtesy and lack of self preservation was abundantly clear this was from most groups.

Luckily MOST of the shorter distance riders stayed where they where and did not change lines etc. (although staying further left would be nice) I think they need a hand for how they conducted themselves between all the AL VB VC BL mayhem and I think a lot of longer distance riders need to go learn some manners and group riding skills - especially about holding your line and looking before you make a move.

Edited by s14phoenix

On a different note, what is the rules in SA road races regarding using sitting in the slip of traffic to get paced back to the bunch?

About 40km in we saw 3 elite riders sitting in the slip of a truck going past us, thought it was dodge af

Not sure but pretty sure its illegal. Should be a DQ in my mind.

DQ for sure... especially in the licenced groups.

So many riders that are in these groups for the start times and nice open roads but cannot stay with the group. But in ELITE I would think the motorbike marshalls should have taken note of their numbers and have their finish times evaluated and flagged at least.

On another note... Whats up with the guys not wearing their racing numbers? have they not entered but ride the race without having paid?

So........I am trying to see value in this race these days.............

Technically it is a "crappy" race.  The last 20km is like something out of a Stallone movie where you just try not to die. Cones, traffic, poor speed cops not knowing what to do, people standing in the middle of the road, slow riders joining the route, potholes, standing traffic on the race course, etc etc.  CSA gives us hell about the white line and so they should.  They have our best interest at heart and don't want to see us get hurt.  For that I thank them.  As an organiser I would anticipate this as a "given" and organiser rolling road closure for the racing bunches. 

If you really had my safety at heart, you would have made the race safe.  And you did not.  The white line crossing was probably the safest part of the course. 

The amount of crashes and incidents yesterday out on the course was SCARY!!

I digress.

It has become stupid to do this race for "seeding".

Because by the time the seeding run for World Champs gets done, this race is older than 6 months and your seeding gets watered down.  Same goes for 94.7

Your aim should be Lost City, Amashova, D2D, Satellite etc.  Those will give you good seeding should this be your aim to do races.

What other reason is there to pay R300 and risk life and limb?

The pure beauty of cycling is that you can be ANYWHERE out in the sun on your bike and enjoy it. 

Me.......after 11+ of R4S I have decided to give this one a skip next year. 

We arrived a bit late and started from HL.

:eek: its every man for himself back there!

Cones and slow riders not a huge issue but wasn't part of a big group so was pretty easy to navigate.