Carbon damage - insurance claim

leeubok

Hi everyone

So during the week one day when I got home from work, the first thing my kids tell me is that our domestic accidentally knocked over my bike. I didn't think much of it and didn't bother checking if the bike is ok (yes I know, I should be lynched for not checking my baby immediately!). Took it out this morning for a wash and I see this:

post-80018-0-95844400-1485596289_thumb.jpg

post-80018-0-32147500-1485596306_thumb.jpg

post-80018-0-59242600-1485596318_thumb.jpg

Obviously it needs to be repaired. What I want to know from the guys that know carbon well, is this now a weak spot in my frame? If I leave it like that and just keep on riding the bike is there a chance of the frame cracking/breaking at some stage? And I don't suppose this is enough to warrant an insurance claim?

Edited by leeubok

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should just get it repaired - were are you based?

Northern KZN. Will be in Howick next week so at least I can take it to a shop there

Had a similar crack in my frame a few weeks back (don't know how it got there, probably the guy who works in our garden bumped it over). Swift assessed the damage and gave me a report saying that there was structural damage to the frame and that the frame needs to be replaced. Submitted the report to Discovery Insure and they paid out the next day for a new frame (less an excess of R5000, but it's a R33 300 frame). Discovery Insure even paid for freight for the new frame from CT to Johannesbog, as well as costs of a rebuild.

Kudos to Discovery Insure!!!

The only problem is I don't have the 5k at the moment to make up the shortfall on a new frame. MTB only for me for now.

If I hadn't been insured, would have no issue with it being repaired - carbon frames can easily be repaired, and there are good repairers out there. Look up Bogus (a hubber) on the Hub - I understand that he's brilliant.

Had a similar crack in my frame a few weeks back (don't know how it got there, probably the guy who works in our garden bumped it over). Swift assessed the damage and gave me a report saying that there was structural damage to the frame and that the frame needs to be replaced. Submitted the report to Discovery Insure and they paid out the next day for a new frame (less an excess of R5000, but it's a R33 300 frame). Discovery Insure even paid for freight for the new frame from CT to Johannesbog, as well as costs of a rebuild.

Kudos to Discovery Insure!!!

The only problem is I don't have the 5k at the moment to make up the shortfall on a new frame. MTB only for me for now.

Thanks, I'll take my bike in next week for an assessment. I doubt it's that serious but I want it fixed. I'm just really peeved off that it happened. I try my hardest to look after my bike but then someone else comes and f.. it up. 

Is carbon really that sensitive? Could a careless knock like that actually damage the structural integrity of the frame?

If so it seems like quite a temperamental material to be building bikes which inevitably will take knocks with.

Is carbon really that sensitive? Could a careless knock like that actually damage the structural integrity of the frame?

If so it seems like quite a temperamental material to be building bikes which inevitably will take knocks with.

All bikes need to be looked after. I rode my previous carbon frame for 8 years - no scratches, dings or bumps that damaged it. Any material that is used to make frames with can be damaged.

Carbon is no more nor less "sensitive" or "temperamental" than alu. The difference is that it's generally easier to repair carbon than it is to repair alu.

Of course they need to be looked after. I'm just wondering if a cleaner knocking a stationery bike over can compare with the beating a carbon mtb frame takes on a routine basis.

All bikes need to be looked after. I rode my previous carbon frame for 8 years - no scratches, dings or bumps that damaged it. Any material that is used to make frames with can be damaged.

Carbon is no more nor less "sensitive" or "temperamental" than alu. The difference is that it's generally easier to repair carbon than it is to repair alu.

I do quite a bit of fiberglass and carbon fiber work personally.

Looking at the photos it seems to be just a paint chip (non structural damage). Do this as a test if you compress the damaged area as well as areas around the damage area do you hear creaking? If you do then there is a chance of structural damage, if not then it's fine.

I also know that Merida offer a lifetime warranty as long as you are the original owner of the bike.