Buying MTB Shoes - First Time

Andrew_Smith

Hello all,

I want to buy my first MTB shoe pair. My knowledge on MTB shoes is very weak and would like some recommendations from you guys who went through a couple of shoes.

Okay, so my budget is R1000 (still need to get clipless pedals too).

Currently looking at getting this:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/dmt-borealis-mtb-carbon-italy-shoes/rp-prod150006

To be honest, I only went for this due to the words 'Carbon' and secondly the price.

Is carbon shoes any good? Or should I go for other material? Also noted that it does not come with cleats. Will any cleats fit that specific shoe?

Overall on what I do: I like doing ride (40km) over the weekend and will be doing the Karoo2Coast next year.

If this is necessary, I am a very light rider. 

Any advice will be appreciated. :)

~ André

The pedals will come with the cleats. Yes, any Mtb pedal cleats will fit those shoes.

But then why are you saying you need to go to cleats? Why not stay on flats? Serious question, and no real disadvantage of going to the top end of the flat pedal & shoe spectrum.

If you're set on cleats, cool. Just beware that the sizing may be a challenge, so be sure to read user comments on CRC before you buy.

Good luck

The pedals will come with the cleats. Yes, any Mtb pedal cleats will fit those shoes.

But then why are you saying you need to go to cleats? Why not stay on flats? Serious question, and no real disadvantage of going to the top end of the flat pedal & shoe spectrum.

If you're set on cleats, cool. Just beware that the sizing may be a challenge, so be sure to read user comments on CRC before you buy.

Good luck

Okay cool. 

Well, wouldn't it be slightly better for climbing loose terrain? To keep your feet mounted and to keep traction? This is one of the reasons I want to maybe go clipless.

But I hear your point, Myles. I just see everyone (almost) rides clipless on the trail. 

I am currently riding with my New Balance tekkies, which I don't like because that is not it's purpose.

Was thinking about getting Salamon's, but can I use that for MTB. Also, their pricing is little ridiculous for a pair of shoes.

I also like riding with cycling socks and I don't want to ride with skating/sneaker type of shoes. 

As Myles says...Sizing  I have found MTB bike shoes to be rather challenging when fitting.

i'm a 0ld size shoe 7½ ...have had shoes in sizes 7-9 over the years so go and try them on before you decide. I wanted to get shimano or First assent shoes (last pair i bought) and not a single shoe in their range fitted right.ended up getting GIro 

As Myles says...Sizing  I have found MTB bike shoes to be rather challenging when fitting.

i'm a 0ld size shoe 7½ ...have had shoes in sizes 7-9 over the years so go and try them on before you decide. I wanted to get shimano or First assent shoes (last pair i bought) and not a single shoe in their range fitted right.ended up getting GIro 

See this will get tricky when buying online (overseas) where I cannot fit it.

But read through the reviews of that specific shoe, they say you should go one size bigger.

I have thin, but long feet.

Will keep sizing in mind when buying.

Okay cool.

Well, wouldn't it be slightly better for climbing loose terrain? To keep your feet mounted and to keep traction? This is one of the reasons I want to maybe go clipless.

But I hear your point, Myles. I just see everyone (almost) rides clipless on the trail.

I am currently riding with my New Balance tekkies, which I don't like because that is not it's purpose.

Was thinking about getting Salamon's, but can I use that for MTB. Also, their pricing is little ridiculous for a pair of shoes.

I also like riding with cycling socks and I don't want to ride with skating/sneaker type of shoes.

One word.

Nope.

As for the shoes... Trail Running shoes aren't the greatest. You need something with a flat sole with minimal large lugs, so that the pins of the pedals can grip he shoe.

Skate shoes are a good cheaper option but only if you have proper pedals as well. The giant entry level ones are great.

Everyone is on cleats because we're being pushed there by bike shops and bro science. They definitely have their advantages when you're at the pointy end, but for Joe average I'd recommend flats every day of the week.

See this will get tricky when buying online (overseas) where I cannot fit it.

But read through the reviews of that specific shoe, they say you should go one size bigger.

I have thin, but long feet.

Will keep sizing in mind when buying.

That's not as much of a problem as wide feet.

Appreciate the input, Myles! :)

I currently have Wellgo M-21 pedals on my bike.

Quite sturdy, but the teeth on it ruins any shoe with a soft underside (my New Balance for example) and leave black stripes on both undersides of the shoes.

What shoes would you recommend?

I think the whole flats vs clipless debate really depends on your riding and preference. When I go on 50km+ rides I use clipless and a very stiff carbon XC shoe as it gives me the efficiency I like when I am going to be pedaling for a long time.

When I know I am going to be jumping, doing techy trails, and I am just out to enjoy the ride I use flats (Funn Fundamental pedals) and some Fox Shoes.

As for buying shoes from CRC - I wouldn't. You are asking for problems with fit, and your import duty is going to push up the price alot. Giro make some really lekker clipless shoes, and I personally love Spez shoes (but they are a bit pricey). As for flats, I would highly reccommend some 5 Tens.

You see Grease_Monkey, I am wanting to increase my distance also going forward and 100% agree with you on the efficiency. Hence another reason why I am considering clipless. 

Make sense, I have been riding flats for almost 3 years.

Uhm, I see... In terms of the price, it is still cheaper than locally (R1,121.81 total cost).

That is a carbon shoe, and I don't think I will get a carbon shoe for an R1000 here in SA. I really want to try out Giro, only heard good things from them and I like their style.

Haha, yeah Specialized is out of my league. 5 Tens, saw them on CRC too.

Well, I am opting to go clipless, but will take my time before buying.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

Spds are the way to go! Get a set of shimano 520s or 540s. Is recommend trying a pair of shoes on. For r1000 you can get a pair that fits and support a local business at the same time. The advantages of flats don't out way the fact that you gotta wear shin guards! I know Myles loves flats, but ask him whAt he rides on his road bike and why.

You see Grease_Monkey, I am wanting to increase my distance also going forward and 100% agree with you on the efficiency. Hence another reason why I am considering clipless.

Uhm, I see... In terms of the price, it is still cheaper than locally (R1,121.81 total cost).

That is a carbon shoe, and I don't think I will get a carbon shoe for an R1000 here in SA. I really want to try out Giro, only heard good things from them and I like their style.

Yeah I see, if XC is your cup of tea then I would say go clipless. It is true that you will not get carbon shoes for that price in SA, but don't let the fact that they are carbon let you end up buying a shoe that doesn't fit well. I rode with a pair of Serfas shoes that cost me R600 for 4 years, finaly pulled the trigger on some expensive carbon XC shoes a while back, and although I can feel a difference, it is not life changing.

If you are going to be putting in 100km days you want something that fit well. I can promise you no matter how light and nice those carbon shoes are, if they don't fit right and you start getting numb feet you will hate them! Go try some shoes on, you can get a very nice pair for R1000.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Have a look at CWC they have a sale on at the moment most of their online products are in store as well..you should get a pair for under R800 and spd's for around R550

H

Have a look at CWC they have a sale on at the moment most of their online products are in store as well..you should get a pair for under R800 and spd's for around R550

H

Did look on CWC. They have one pair for an R1000 but don't like the colour scheme. Want to get a Giro pair, so will wait for future specials on them. Will keep an eye on the classified section too. Do not mind getting secondhand pedals.

Did look on CWC. They have one pair for an R1000 but don't like the colour scheme. Want to get a Giro pair, so will wait for future specials on them. Will keep an eye on the classified section too. Do not mind getting secondhand pedals.

You should be able to snag a pair of Shimamo SPD m520s for about R200 second hand. They come up often and are bullet proof - rode with a pair for nearly 10 yeara on and off. Just check they turn smoothly and you are golden!