Bradley Paul

Hi there,

A mate and myself recently bought ourselves downhill mtb's and are looking to get into this type of riding now.

We tried out Helderkruin in Roodepoort and enjoyed the downhill but are looking for something a bit longer with more variety.

We've also tried Cascades in Pietermaritzburg, which was awesome! But obviously too far.

Does anyone know of any decent downhill routes in and around joburg?

Yeah...unfortunately Gauteng does not really have much when it comes to DH tracks, 

Helderkruin is your best bet, but as Myles mentioned Hakahana has a couple of great stages/tracks which are technical and longer than Helderkruin. 

If you go to Hakahana I would suggest that you take your XC/Trail/Enduro bike if you have one instead of a DH bike. The downs are awesome but getting up to the starts requires a lot of climbing and you will suffer on a DH rig. 

Off the top of my head, there's Hakahana...  Dunno exactly where it is, but I hear it's a goody. 

Haka more for enduro 

The one section i can think off where a downhill bike could be pretty fun is almost 8km away from the trailhead.

I Will Add you to the Haka Group No problem i have a Dwonhill Bike that i ride out at haka its heavy but i absolutely love it on the downhills even if you case the landing you will ride away most of the time. I was out on sunday and just playing around on the step ups and drops and jumos at the bottom of sp 7 and 8 and had a blast

Edited by The Flying German