Racetec chips - scrambled signals

mecheng89

Hi all,

For those who have a bit more experience with these orange chips, is it recommended to secure these to the bike or alternatively to the ankle?

For the Fast One this weekend, I had mine strapped around my right ankle, but it never registered a finish time for me. Now Strava//Garmin files have to be sent back and forth to prove my race completion. Techie from Racetec claims that if my leg was TDC (top dead center), some interference is created and my time would not have registered. 

Thanks. 

Also, if it's on your fork leg don't wheelie over the line...  

I've learnt that lesson the hard way too.

How do you wheelie in a sprint?? you must have way too much power. :whistling: :ph34r:

My wheel clip broke on the morning of the ride so I put my chip through my shoe lace.

I made sure to have my toes were down when I crossed the line but I never heard the beep over either of the mats. I actually ran back over the finish line and it took 3 or 4 passes before it registered me. Was very strange, Next time im using cable ties to the fork

Hi all,

For those who have a bit more experience with these orange chips, is it recommended to secure these to the bike or alternatively to the ankle?

For the Fast One this weekend, I had mine strapped around my right ankle, but it never registered a finish time for me. Now Strava//Garmin files have to be sent back and forth to prove my race completion. Techie from Racetec claims that if my leg was TDC (top dead center), some interference is created and my time would not have registered. 

Thanks. 

if the pedal with the sensor is at the top, the distance to the mat is too far. The sensors are not that powerfull, so its best to free over the mats with the pedal with the chip at the bottom of the pedal stroke. 

I have had problems with it cable tied to the fork, so now tie it to my ankle facing upright. Make sure that I have that foot down going across the mat.

Also, if it's on your fork leg don't wheelie over the line...  

I've learnt that lesson the hard way too.

Being able to wheelie over the line with the front wheel high enough off the ground for it not to pick up is worth the hassle of using strava to prove you finished.  :thumbup:

Hi all,

Thanks. 

Lesson number 1 - don't stop pedaling when you get over the line - your chip will be in position at some point on one/both of the mats.

Lesson number 2 - if you do stop pedaling, then keep your leg with timing chip in the 6 o'clock position. No need to cable tie your chip to the fork - I have been using a velcro strap and timing chip for years with no problems.

The techie is correct - I watched them setup the mats for the MTB race last year. The equipment wasn't beeping when they held the chip at a certain height above it. As soon as they dropped it, BEEP!

Also a lesson learnt......don't attach with the steel clip they used to give you.

They interfere also.

Back to cable tie to the fork

Securing it to a metal fork doesn't work. Velcro strap or the pos clip is the only way if you don't have a carbon bike.

Velcro strap to my ankle, racetec table they cost about R10. Just make sure the Velcro is OK lost mine at fast one last year but I'll admit the velcro was dodgy. 

When i tried to verify it at the 947 expo stand, the guy told me not to hold it horizontal, it had to be vertical. He showed me on their system, only when it was vertical it beeped. Slipped mine through the velcro strap on my shoe anyway (horizontal). Worked fine in the race. Basically my info is useless as i have no idea what works in reality.