MTB socks

OldBull

Hi all.

I read a lot in the media about socks, length of socks, height of socks and it seems as if the longer colourfull socks are flavour of the month.

Now, I am a weekend MTB rider and did a few shorter races. Thus Im not a serious rider.

To me riding in the veld with these long socks does not make sense. They get snagged on thorns, ticks love them, when they get wet they stay wet and heavy, and going through mud turns all bright socks to brown.

I like my shorter sport socks.

Am I wrong

Hi OldBull,

Past weekend I rode for the first time with cycling socks and I immediately felt a difference in my opinion. 

I usually ride with NB short socks and NB tekkies (which will be changing soon) and the cycling socks was way more comfortable than my NB socks. 

Also, my feet did not really sweat that much too. 

Overall I enjoyed the whole experience with the cycling socks that I bought a set of three to add to my collection.

EDIT: I also love the fabric and tight fit of the cycling socks.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

Hi all.

I read a lot in the media about socks, length of socks, height of socks and it seems as if the longer colourfull socks are flavour of the month.

Now, I am a weekend MTB rider and did a few shorter races. Thus Im not a serious rider.

To me riding in the veld with these long socks does not make sense. They get snagged on thorns, ticks love them, when they get wet they stay wet and heavy, and going through mud turns all bright socks to brown.

I like my shorter sport socks.

Am I wrong

Ride in what makes you happy.

Some people prefer the short socks, other prefer the long ones. Just don't be one of those guys who slags off the people who make a different choice.

Ride in what makes you happy.

Some people prefer the short socks, other prefer the long ones. Just don't be one of those guys who slags off the people who make a different choice.

post-32525-0-24760400-1485797149.jpg

I bought a few pairs of Falke limited edition Cape Epic socks in 2005. Just over the ankle bone, thick on the outside, thinner in the foot area. Stunning socks but my collection starting to wear thin now.

I think the only criteria for a MTB sock is that it has some padding around the ankle.  And if they are going to have patterns then at least use them to show off some hard man rides you have done.

post-35786-0-78773300-1485797480_thumb.jpg

post-35786-0-46437500-1485797482_thumb.jpg

As I've now been medically retired from riding a MTB I guess the socks I have left will last to show my grandchildren. Which is why I bought a Garmin even though I had a perfectly good Polar.

Carbon29er have mentioned his socks is just over the ankle. That make sense as it may have saved me some bruises after I went down on a trail around Harties this past weekend.

I may have to try ankle height socks.

Hmmmmm..... This gives me an excuse to get to a cycling shop today.

Try some Versus Premium Trail socks, they are brilliant and made in the Mother City.

I concur, Versus socks for the win! Just wish they would make an all black one.

Reasonably priced too - are DeFeet having a laugh at those prices? 

I sometimes cycle in my work socks. Strepies, monocolour, shapes, patterns & all. If it's been a stinker of a day, sometimes I change into fresh sokkies. If I buy socks specifically for exercising in, they're generally these:

http://www.sportsworld.co.za/img/p/591-2625-thickbox.jpg

Bloody comfortable, they are. Had the previous version over the ankle jobs, but I find that their particular style of knit tends to break down pretty easily, and becomes hard and uncomfortable after a bit of use.

Bottom line - nobody cares.

DILLIGAF?

I sometimes cycle in my work socks. Strepies, monocolour, shapes, patterns & all. If it's been a stinker of a day, sometimes I change into fresh sokkies. If I buy socks specifically for exercising in, they're generally these:

http://www.sportsworld.co.za/img/p/591-2625-thickbox.jpg

Bloody comfortable, they are. Had the previous version over the ankle jobs, but I find that their particular style of knit tends to break down pretty easily, and becomes hard and uncomfortable after a bit of use.

Bottom line - nobody cares.

DILLIGAF?

http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/04/puke-gif.gif

Did the oak valley 24hr mtb, and this lumo cartoon sock round the knees vibe was pretty prevalent.

Just hope the wifey doesn't think this is an easy birthday present idea, it's ridiculous (no fence sitting here)

Love the way socks are getting more attention that anything else on Bikehub. Gone are the debates on 29ers, tires or Specialized etc, it appears to be all down to socks now days.

Edited by Baracuda