ABSA Cape Epic Heartbreak

Rudi Pollard

I was invited to for part of the ABSA pride for the Cape Epic 2017. I immediately started training with a coach in September 2016 and put in a lot of hard work over the past 5 months.

My base training for the Epic started in December and I did 2200km in December. I then ramped up the intensity in the second week of January with interval training. I went down for my first Attakwas which I finished very well in 6h11.

Last weekend I had a golf tour on the south coast of KZN. We played at southbroom on the Friday morning after which we headed to the beach. We were throwing a ball to each other and the one throw just drifted over my head. I turned around to catch it and in the process I stepped into a hole of about 20cm deep with my left leg. The leg hyperextended and I immediately knew that I hurt something. What is it and how bad is it was my first thought.

We headed to the hospital as my calf was swollen up about 3 times its normal size. The initial prognosis was that I most likely tore my calf but I should be okay to at least get to the start line. The next morning X-rays was taken of my knee and a sonar of my calf. 

When the results came back my Cape Epic dream was broken as was my Tibial Plateau. I tore my calf muscle quite badly as well. I am getting an MRI tomorrow with surgery to sort out my knee on Friday.

There is always 2018, and I will come back stronger!!! It just sucks after all the hard work that something so silly can cause such big damage.

Edited by Rudi Pollard

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rudi,

So sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Is your 2017 entry for sale? If so, I am willing and able to purchase it from you.

Regards

Fred

Hi Fred,

My partner is currently looking for a replacement and should know by the end of the week if he will still be participating or not. If not I have to go through the official ABSA channels as it is one of their entries, although I paid full price for it.

As soon as I know what the process going forward is I will let you know.

I was invited to for part of the ABSA pride for the Cape Epic 2017. I immediately started training with a coach in September 2016 and put in a lot of hard work over the past 5 months.

My base training for the Epic started in December and I did 2200km in December. I then ramped up the intensity in the second week of January with interval training. I went down for my first Attakwas which I finished very well in 6h11.

Last weekend I had a golf tour on the south coast of KZN. We played at southbroom on the Friday morning after which we headed to the beach. We were throwing a ball to each other and the one throw just drifted over my head. I turned around to catch it and in the process I stepped into a hole of about 20cm deep with my left leg. The leg hyperextended and I immediately knew that I hurt something. What is it and how bad is it was my first thought.

We headed to the hospital as my calf was swollen up about 3 times its normal size. The initial prognosis was that I most likely tore my calf but I should be okay to at least get to the start line. The next morning X-rays was taken of my knee and a sonar of my calf. 

When the results came back my Cape Epic dream was broken as was my Tibial Plateau. I tore my calf muscle quite badly as well. I am getting an MRI tomorrow with surgery to sort out my knee on Friday.

There is always 2018, and I will come back stronger!!! It just sucks after all the hard work that something so silly can cause such big damage.

Sorry man - that's really tough news - maybe you can get the CE guys to hold your entry over for next year....

3 years ago I tore ligaments in my ankle in December (stepped on a doormat wrong) - spent Christmas using crutches and a stick - but somehow made it to the start line in March.

You will be back... heal up soon - good luck for your surgery.

Awful story.

Moral of the story: Golf is such a silly sport to participate in when you have a free entry to the Epic and have been training so hard.

Edit: My bad, not free. Paid entry actually makes the golf trip even more dubious.

Edited by carbon29er

Awful story.

Moral of the story: Golf is such a silly sport to participate in when you have a free entry to the Epic and have been training so hard.

Edit: My bad, not free. Paid entry actually makes the golf trip even more dubious.

"My partner is currently looking for a replacement and should know by the end of the week if he will still be participating or not. If not I have to go through the official ABSA channels as it is one of their entries, although I paid full price for it.

As soon as I know what the process going forward is I will let you know."

Heart break indeed but theres always next year! Chin up, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Why is Carbon saying free entry when you say you paid for it?

So sorry to hear this especially seems you had put all the effort in. 

Hope you recover quickly and can start your 2018 campaign.

Hi Rudi,

So sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Is your 2017 entry for sale? If so, I am willing and able to purchase it from you.

Regards

Fred

had a chuckle when i read this. like the Afrikaans saying "die een man se dood is die ander se brood" or something to that effect. 

hope you heel-up 100's soon Rudi