Gautrain - Bicycle sharing feasibility study

nickc

Lot of users leave bikes locked at end point stations. When I last looked, quite a few at Rosebank.

The problem is the initial phase (which we are still sitting with) was designed for the 2010 WC, it was supposed to be expanded, never did

Hopefully the expansion that made the media last year goes ahead, however I doubt if there is any money left ...

I commuted on the Gautrain with my bike for 18 months 2011-2012

I had to pack my bike into an enclosed bag - front wheel off and handlebars turned. Once on the train I had to stand in the doorway as there was no room anywhere else . Luckily I travelled counterflow and I was the only one with a bike

The places where one can “park” a bike at the stations offer little or no security. The one at Sandton was the most vulnerable in my view

Lot of users leave bikes locked at end point stations. When I last looked, quite a few at Rosebank.

I did exactly that between Hatfield and Centurion, allot of travels. Work-side bike stayed overnight. Worked really well as you just lock and run for the train.

Never had any issues with security.

But, both bikes were worth less than R3000 each. Won't attempt it with a 2021 S-Works on either side...