Wind in the Willows

Hey guys,

Here's the deal: I want to know how much you would pay for this 2011 Rocky Mountain Element 30msl.

Let's say the condition is very good (see ad pics). Throw a figure out, or provide a range: highest and lowest amount depending on whatever your criteria are.

The ad has everything you need to know. 26" lovers and haters are ALL WELCOME. Throw the offer on the ground or press it tightly to your bosom and sing sweet songs of longing.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by Wind in the Willows

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

his price looks fair ... but talk to the guy and see if you can find a middle ground ... if not, walk away and leave the bike to someone who will be happy to pay that for the bike, and will appreciate what they are buying.

just remember, as a buyer, no one is forcing you to buy the bike, so the seller is free to ask what he or she likes.

I have the same frame (50msl) and built a bike to similar Spec with less than 500km on it. I wouldn't let it go for under R17 000.

R15000 is a bargain if the bike is in Excellent condition.

And apparently those frames can take 27.5" wheels

With that spec, 3x SLX front shifter, reba fork, a Fox float which is widely criticized for damping qualities, and 26er, I would not pay more than about 8k. 

If you can put 27.5 wheels in there, then it is a completely different story, maybe 11k...

I am by no means an expert in the value of bikes, and my valuation may not be what it is worth, but that is where I would be on this deal. This is just based on my experience in selling my old bikes - but then I am impatient and tend to take the first offer that comes along  :ph34r:

At the end of the day the bike is worth what someone will pay - and someone will come along at some point and pay more than the numbers I mentioned above, so it depends how desperate or impatient the seller is. 

My 2c (and this is not directed at the seller of this bike): People are delusional about the second hand values of their bikes. Have seen many advertising bikes at 90% of their new value. My general rule - In general I won't pay more than 60% of retail for a second hand item.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

I know someone very interested in this very bike. 

So I'd say you don't have too many bargaining chips.

is the OP maybe not the same "someone"? :ph34r: :whistling:

Hahahah R8k for that would be a total bargain. A friend has one - converted to 650b. Clearance at the back is an issue though and a new fork would be required. Its a light frame and the extra travel up front makes it a bit of a trail bike. Forget the wheel size, (which is the last thing you should worry about anyway) and ask yourself what R15k gets you at the bike shop? Carbon: No Light weight: No, Quality Mavic wheels: No, Decent lightweight suspension: No .... If you don't like the answers then go get a Titan Sonic and see how you like that piece of weighty spindly wheeled cheapness. In my mind there is no comparison. 

Hahahah R8k for that would be a total bargain. A friend has one - converted to 650b. Clearance at the back is an issue though and a new fork would be required. Its a light frame and the extra travel up front makes it a bit of a trail bike. Forget the wheel size, (which is the last thing you should worry about anyway) and ask yourself what R15k gets you at the bike shop? Carbon: No Light weight: No, Quality Mavic wheels: No, Decent lightweight suspension: No .... If you don't like the answers then go get a Titan Sonic and see how you like that piece of weighty spindly wheeled cheapness. In my mind there is no comparison. 

I'm not discussing my opinion on its value. That's between the seller and buyer.

Just thought I'd point out that the msl is ever so slightly slacker than the 100mm Element. It has 120 squish in the back too. Also those Elements are pretty low bikes. Even by today's standards. Definitely some trail spirit for such a racy sled. Light, fast and squishy. Should be tons of fun in the dirt.

Are those wheels strictly a propriety spokes and nipples affair?

My 2c (and this is not directed at the seller of this bike): People are delusional about the second hand values of their bikes. Have seen many advertising bikes at 90% of their new value. My general rule - In general I won't pay more than 60% of retail for a second hand item.

According to PinkBike the original price was $3500, which makes R15000 less than 45%. and that's with a RS Recon Silver and DT Swiss wheels 

http://www.pinkbike.com/product/rocky-mountain/2011-Element-30-MSL/

I like HeadShot's Comment "ask yourself what R15k gets you at the bike shop?" or Seccond hand on BikeHub.... that's the real comparison!