Buffelsdrift Mountain Bike Park

The free radical

Hi,

I'm staying near Buffelsdrift Mountain bike park for the next 6 weeks, does anyone know the trails? Is it safe cycling to the park?

Are there any group rides?

Thanks for the help in advance.

we have cycled to the park from pta a few times, but always in a group, usually seems safe, probably safer than driving on that road out towards it...

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

2nd outing there today, and man, It's a great place. Pity it's 90kms one way drive for me.

Lots of climbing, technical fast downs, a little river section (blew all my matches there) suffered up occies climb.

Was very chuffed making it all the way up concrete climb, after I had to dismount and walk twice in the beginning of december. Fitness has gone up nicely.

Will be back for sure.

2nd outing there today, and man, It's a great place. Pity it's 90kms one way drive for me.

Lots of climbing, technical fast downs, a little river section (blew all my matches there) suffered up occies climb.

Was very chuffed making it all the way up concrete climb, after I had to dismount and walk twice in the beginning of december. Fitness has gone up nicely.

Will be back for sure.

Same here I am about 156km from my home to the park. Must do a double loop to make it worth the drive.

• 2 years later...

Anybody heard anything about an attack on a rider there yesterday?

Heard a rider was attacked with rocks after getting off to remove branches on the trail, around the Supertube area?

Don’t see anything on IG about it and I’m not on Facebook to check.

I ride there most weekends and ride alone so interested if any truth to this.

That's a shame. Buffelsdrift was my favourite spot when a lived in Pta - still actually ranks as one of my favourite trail centers. Hopefully this is an isolated incident. 

BD is pretty remote and I've never had an issue riding alone there. Pretty sure this is an isolated incident, especially given Francois's description of that section. Seems like it may have been an moment of opportunism from the poachers more than anything.

If anything this should be met with more support and riding.

Glad the guy got away unhurt. Although it would also have been good to acknowledge the response from Buffelsdrift and police in the description.

BD is pretty remote and I've never had an issue riding alone there. Pretty sure this is an isolated incident, especially given Francois's description of that section. Seems like it may have been an moment of opportunism from the poachers more than anything.

If anything this should be met with more support and riding.

Glad the guy got away unhurt. Although it would also have been good to acknowledge the response from Buffelsdrift and police in the description.

Hi, after the incident I made my way to safety, phoned Buffels and returned to the coffee shop. I waited a while and then returned home.

Yes they reacted and said they would go out and mentioned Metro police and that they would change the route (by WhatsApp), I was not around for this.....

My aim was purely to make solo riders aware of the incident....I am convinced Buffels will do everything in the power to make things safe but it is a large area....

Hi, after the incident I made my way to safety, phoned Buffels and returned to the coffee shop. I waited a while and then returned home.

Yes they reacted and said they would go out and mentioned Metro police and that they would change the route (by WhatsApp), I was not around for this.....

My aim was purely to make solo riders aware of the incident....I am convinced Buffels will do everything in the power to make things safe but it is a large area....

I ride there mostly alone .Please show us the spot exactly so that we can be prepared