GPS tags for stolen bikes

lukeram

while killing time at the orifice today I wandered across this inidegogo campaign.

Its aimed at kids and pets but I thought it would be great to use with the things we love the most. Tracking down our bikes. :)

It reads to be a pretty badass GPS tracker that you could hide somewhere on your bike and then if stolen locate your bike on the app.

The cell subscription seems pretty reasonable $89 (+ $10 for international coverage) - and if one bulk buys 10 then this comes down to $78. This include a year of data coverage subs - then i think its $46 a year every year after that...

Oh battery like is 3 months.

What do you guys think?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ping-the-world-s-smallest-global-gps-locator-bluetooth#/

I see it has an accelerometer built in so it could be updated to have crash detection built in..

that would be best as would build the cost into the insurance premium so overall lower cost right?

I guess if this became too well known then the thieves would start looking out for them and you'd have to get creative about where you placed it without compromising the gps signal (I'm guessing in the BB next to the team sky motor) wouldn't work ;)

I like it. Clever actuaries at insirance companies could make a plan possibly?

So I work in the GIS industry and have worked with similar devices/setups and here are my thoughts.

A device like this will always need some form of a power supply. In things like a car one can easily tap into the wiring and steal some power and keep it running with a small battery for if/when they disconnect the main car battery. With this, to hide it in a bike will be tough and then to have to remove it to charge it every now and then it will be an even bigger mission.

These usually rely on cellphone reception, which although is getting very good, if you know where to look there are holes in signal to hide in and those maps used to be available online.

GPS traackers are going to change the world, if I were you and you want a really solid easy to use gps tracker for a bicycle, have a look for the dementia patient/childrens watch based trackers, can leave it on the watch mount when you not using the bike, easy to pull on and off and 'hidden in plain sight' can charge it while you out cycling. There are plenty of options available and most have an SOS function so if you leave it on the bike and you have a crash you can hit the sos, or if you get bike jacked you can hit sos as you hand over the bike...

The problem as with most devices, it uses gsm cellular networks. So if no network, no worky.

From their site:

The device uses a cellular network to receive and transmit its location. In the event that there is no cell coverage, the device may not immediately work until a signal can be received.

The problem as with most devices, it uses gsm cellular networks. So if no network, no worky.

From their site:

The device uses a cellular network to receive and transmit its location. In the event that there is no cell coverage, the device may not immediately work until a signal can be received.

Yeah that is the usual caveat right? good thing our coverage providers are diligently working 24/7 to improve the network in SA ;)

@ Dave - good to know - I agree that the tech is possible - just need to wait it out. Im just imagining the perfect storm where someone is mugged - they activate the tracker and then some of the guys who comment on the hijacking stories find the guys who took the bike...