Tyre choice for Epic 2017

Brakenjan

I have done two Epics on the ever-popular Rocket Ron / Nobby Nic (front) and Racing Ralph (rear) combo. Of late the Racing Ralph has been particularly puncture prone. I guess it is the price you pay for the weight saving. In any event, it is time for me to explore other options as I am gatvol plugging tyres.

Please share your favourite tyre combos for the Epic.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maxxis Maxxis Maxxis : Ikon back, Ardent Race front, not one plug or puncture in 12 years of W2W, Sani. Imana, J2c, Berg and Bush ! Even the  Crossmark - ask the Freedom Challenge guys,

Schwalbe - every one I have used has cut sidewall or leaks - only puncture I ever had at Sani - Racing Ralph !

Heard good things about Vittoria

Edited by bolt67

Maxxis Maxxis Maxxis : Ikon back, Ardent Race front, not one plug or puncture in 12 years of W2W, Sani. Imana, J2c, Berg and Bush ! Even the  Crossmark - ask the Freedom Challenge guys,

Schwalbe - every one I have used has cut sidewall or leaks - only puncture I ever had at Sani - Racing Ralph !

Heard good things about Vittoria

Thanks bolt67! The Ardent Race/Ikon combo is currently at the top of my list. Just to make sure, it should be the Ardent Race, as opposed to the Adent? Is that correct?

The Vittoria Barzos are great tyres and can either be run front and back or front with a Saguaro at the back. They have a similar tread pattern to Conti X-Kings but far more durable and can often be found on sale (currently R540 at CWC).

Also a fan of Maxxis Ardent Race at the front and Icons at the back.

You can't go wrong with any of the above combinations.

The Vittoria Barzos are great tyres and can either be run front and back or front with a Saguaro at the back. They have a similar tread pattern to Conti X-Kings but far more durable and can often be found on sale (currently R540 at CWC).

Also a fan of Maxxis Ardent Race at the front and Icons at the back.

You can't go wrong with any of the above combinations.

Thanks Cylon!

Im no Epic contender, but currently have the Barzo front and Saguaro back and loving it. Much better grip than my previous Maxxis Crossmarks. The Saguaro also has a option for grip and speed depending on the rotational direction.

I would not be taking chances with any tyre with thin sidewalls. Maxxis is great, but my first choice would be Barzo/Sagauro. Because they handle better in my opinion. I don't like the closely spaced sideknobs on the Ardent. 

Saving weight on tyres is just plain risky. 

I would not be taking chances with any tyre with thin sidewalls. Maxxis is great, but my first choice would be Barzo/Sagauro. Because they handle better in my opinion. I don't like the closely spaced sideknobs on the Ardent. 

Saving weight on tyres is just plain risky. 

Also loving that combo at the moment.

Done about 200km with Barzo/Saguaro combo and very impressed (wet, dry and muddy). Used to run Saguaro front and back but can honestly say the Barzo up front makes a difference.

Thanks bolt67! The Ardent Race/Ikon combo is currently at the top of my list. Just to make sure, it should be the Ardent Race, as opposed to the Adent? Is that correct?

Yup, Race has Ikon tread in middle and Ardent knobblies on the side, rode as front tyre at W2W, Ikon is fast rolling but as a mate said it has "ikona Grip" ! - ok as front tyre for Sani or J2C

Maxxis Ikon both front and back.

If you're more aggresive Ikon back and Ardent front.

There are many combinations that will work but not many that will work this well.

Thank you for the replies!

I don't know the Vittorias. It seems like the Barzo (front) and Saguaro (rear) might be a great combo? Any thoughts/experience on the puncture protection of these tyres?

Running Barzo front and back on Hubber recommendations, and am loving it!!

Barzo /Saguaro is a very good combo that I too have been using for some time. I'm on my second set now.

Round my neck of the woods /mountains we have a lot of slate rock that destroy tyres like Continental and cut sidewalls like cheese on the likez of Schwalbe's and Onza's.

The most popular tyres around here comes from the Maxxis stable, the 'snakes' go for Ikon's and the rest just don't give a f@ck about weight and choose the Crossmark for its durability.

I know of a lot of guys from around here who have done Epic, more than once, on the above mentioned combinations.

Although this should mean that I could also ride the Maxxis combinations I have grown fond of the width of the Vittoria's.