Cyclist down Tokai Road 5th Feb

cadenceblur

I have no idea how we are going to reverse this trend as we are becoming more and more attached to our cells.

I DO :thumbup:

its an amazing concept that's seems to be beyond the grasp of cape town traffic or our scruffy metro.

Its goes like this ....police car switches on lights and siren and PULLS OVER whatever dumbass is texting swerving or generally driving like a tool and writes them a ticket (which is an automatic summons to court if not paid and then means a warrant of arrest) at the same time police officer checks car license roadworthy  and drivers license ID outstanding tickets etc etc etc ......(you guys all know this stuff)

but in cape town almost all our road policing is done from a safe distance on a chair, behind a speed camera ,behind a bush which achieves absolutely nothing (unlicenced drivers with unlicenced cars and out of date addresses don't even pay fines that are not sent registered mail and no one delivers summonses anymore etc etc etc (you guys know this stuff)

so as we all know this stuff why oh why is it so difficult for the traffic manager or whatever overpaid deskjob entity is in charge of this stuff to figure it out ....public outrage and polite letters of concern do nothing ..you have to ARREST a LOT of people and put the fear on drivers...  and then things will change ....

wont actually happen but I think it would help (my 3 cents)

be safe out there brothers and sisters :thumbup:

And if it's the Cop busy doing it?

I had a Police vehicle coming uncomfortably close to me on Bottelary rd on Saturday. As he drove off I could see him lift the cellphone to his ear. He also then only got back into "his" lane proper.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a Police vehicle coming uncomfortably close to me on Bottelary rd on Saturday. As he drove off I could see him lift the cellphone to his ear. He also then only got back into "his" lane proper.

What do you think?

:eek:

ok then! ... we will just have to go back to road cycling as an extreme sport im already used to it that way   :whistling: 

I have no idea how we are going to reverse this trend as we are becoming more and more attached to our cells.

I DO :thumbup:

its an amazing concept that's seems to be beyond the grasp of cape town traffic or our scruffy metro.

Its goes like this ....police car switches on lights and siren and PULLS OVER whatever dumbass is texting swerving or generally driving like a tool and writes them a ticket (which is an automatic summons to court if not paid and then means a warrant of arrest) at the same time police officer checks car license roadworthy  and drivers license ID outstanding tickets etc etc etc ......(you guys all know this stuff)

but in cape town almost all our road policing is done from a safe distance on a chair, behind a speed camera ,behind a bush which achieves absolutely nothing (unlicenced drivers with unlicenced cars and out of date addresses don't even pay fines that are not sent registered mail and no one delivers summonses anymore etc etc etc (you guys know this stuff)

so as we all know this stuff why oh why is it so difficult for the traffic manager or whatever overpaid deskjob entity is in charge of this stuff to figure it out ....public outrage and polite letters of concern do nothing ..you have to ARREST a LOT of people and put the fear on drivers...  and then things will change ....

wont actually happen but I think it would help (my 3 cents)

be safe out there brothers and sisters :thumbup:

100% correct. ARREST ARREST ARREST. Now we just need to find the cops who want to work... 

so as we all know this stuff why oh why is it so difficult for the traffic manager or whatever overpaid deskjob entity is in charge of this stuff to figure it out ....public outrage and polite letters of concern do nothing ..you have to ARREST a LOT of people and put the fear on drivers...  and then things will change 

100% correct. ARREST ARREST ARREST. Now we just need to find the cops who want to work... 

I agree with your sentiment.

What I can say, in Durbanville where I stay, 3 people I know were pulled over by police the past 2 months, received massive fines and their phones were confiscated. ( I actually also got pulled over twice in the last 2 months near home and tested for DUI - after driving close to 20 years without ever being tested.)

So at least where I stay there has been some effort. That said, I agree, before LOTS of DRIVERS are arrested this is not going to change.

Funny story - yesterday morning when I arrived at the lift at my workplace, 3 people were already waiting for the lift, all 3 lost in their own worlds on their cell phones. In fact they were so distracted not one of them noticed that the button to call the lift hasn't been pressed yet... 

Anyone know who these cameras belong to? Should be able to find the vehicle if there's a decent description

https://www.google.co.za/maps/@-34.0641942,18.4471338,3a,40.3y,238.68h,94.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sw3NYXMBNRXePOPpCd2Rhlg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The local neighbourhood watch has cameras dotted around there, some of the local wine farms do too.

Deon may well know who they belong to.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Edited by marko35s

Anyone know who these cameras belong to? Should be able to find the vehicle if there's a decent description

https://www.google.co.za/maps/@-34.0641942,18.4471338,3a,40.3y,238.68h,94.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sw3NYXMBNRXePOPpCd2Rhlg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

If you aren't able to get anywhere with the neighbourhood watch then you could try the IT company that installed them. I think they still maintain them but not 100% sure. http://www.paverd.co.za/

7 pages thus far with numerous suggestions but in reality nothing done YET.

Here's my 2cents for what it's worth:

On Saturday morning at 11:30 all cyclist converge at a central point for 1 hour. In Cape Town perhaps on the Parade.

This to take place in every Province.

PPA to display banners and inform the media of Our protest.

We All send messages via social media to reach as many cyclists as possible to be present.

Sad to hear about this incident! Hope the cyclist is "ok" :thumbup:

Personally I think we need more cycling lanes and I do not think that the City of Cape Town or the Western Cape Dept of Transport & Public Works is doing enough to include cycling lanes as part of their planning processes! I know this is not possible on each and every road/route but at least construct these along popular cyclist roads/routes! If I just think of all the cycling accidents that happened on Botlary road, surely it is a no brainer! I've seen in a couple of instances where road upgrades along popular routes have taken place, but instead of opting for cycling lanes, road authorities rather opted for a wider than ussual "yellow lane" to accommodate cyclist- and we all know that its mostly in these "yellow lanes" where the cyclist get knocked down.

The other part is educating drivers (and cyclist) to respect one another on the road, but that is totally a different "can of worms"! 

I support the idea of speaking to Alan Winde- these politicians use their positions to influence/press their counter parts in other Departments for results :thumbup:  Maybe Auntie Helen can also be approached- she cycled a couple of times if I remember correctly :thumbup:

Edited by Reg Lizard

Another thing that we can do, is get some of our "pro" friends involved.

We all know one of two guys/gals  on the pro scene, lets roll our sleeves up and get them behind this too. They in turn can get their sponsors to help etc.

The neighbourhood watch people are generally very helpful - the helped me last year when somebody tried to hijack me around there.  Email them: OFFICE@CVWATCH.ORG.ZA

If you aren't able to get anywhere with the neighbourhood watch then you could try the IT company that installed them. I think they still maintain them but not 100% sure. http://www.paverd.co.za/

What could be a temporary solution, is to place those little "flaps" on the yellow line, to create a "barrier" between the driving lane, and the cycling / emergency lane. Should a vehicle go into the yellow lane, it can be done safely without damage to his vehicle, but it also creates an visual barrier, and will go a long way in preventing the dreaded "lane drift"

It will also keep the cyclist to the left of the yellow lane, and prevent them from riding on the yellow line, as many are prone to do. 

Something similar to this. It can be retrofitted, and won't cost millions (I think  :blush: )

p1270128.jpg?w=660

What could be a temporary solution, is to place those little "flaps" on the yellow line, to create a "barrier" between the driving lane, and the cycling / emergency lane. Should a vehicle go into the yellow lane, it can be done safely without damage to his vehicle, but it also creates an visual barrier, and will go a long way in preventing the dreaded "lane drift"

It will also keep the cyclist to the left of the yellow lane, and prevent them from riding on the yellow line, as many are prone to do.

Something similar to this. It can be retrofitted, and won't cost millions (I think :blush: )

p1270128.jpg?w=660

Those things ended up causing lots of accidents.

Didn't kill anybody from what I remember, but there was a huge drive to get the removed from the Cradle.

Those things ended up causing lots of accidents.

Didn't kill anybody from what I remember, but there was a huge drive to get the removed from the Cradle.

Was not aware of of that. In what way did they cause accidents? The cyclist not opening his eyes and riding into / falling over it? That's his own stupidity then. OPEN UP YOUR BLOODY EYES.   :whistling:  :ph34r:  :devil:

Was not aware of of that. In what way did they cause accidents? The cyclist not opening his eyes and riding into / falling over it? That's his own stupidity then. OPEN UP YOUR BLOODY EYES.   :whistling:  :ph34r:  :devil:

Its the Cradle. There some guys with the loose fists who ride with the bright colourful shirts.  You wil burn your retina if you open your eyes to much there  :whistling:

Was not aware of of that. In what way did they cause accidents? The cyclist not opening his eyes and riding into / falling over it? That's his own stupidity then. OPEN UP YOUR BLOODY EYES. :whistling: :ph34r: :devil:

No, they just got in the way. I hit them on many occasions, luckily never fell.

What they also did was prevent 2 riders from comfortably riding 2 abreast inside the cycle lane, so cyclists actually started straying into the car lane so that they could ride two abreast and chat.

Now with them gone, there fewer cyclists are riding in the middle of the road, still lots, but fewer.

Would these chevron jobbies stop taxis from using normal emergency lanes? hmmmm not sure. I think visible policing there would be more effective in taxi/lane using hotspots.

Edited by Patchelicious