Shimano Ice-Tech Rotors

Andrew_Smith

Hello all,

Been curious for a while about these rotors, more specific the SM-RT99 model.

Basically just want to know are these rotors better than the ones on my bike (SM-RT64 CL rotors)?

I see both are center lock discs. 

I read that the Ice-Tech rotors handle heat better while braking, 20% better that, and that, but is it really that good or is it only marketing?

Also, would it be a worthy upgrade over my current rotors?

Thanks.

~ André

Edited by Andrew_Smith

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found if you use them with the finned pads they almost don't get hot at all. 

Not sure how its going to go if you use normal pads with the rotor. But logic tells me it has more to do with the materials used in the rotor so the pad should not have an adverse effect.

@BaGearA: Well if the brake pads are going to be a problem, I'll just replace it when installing the new rotors.

Okay, so would you guys say it will be a good move to buy two of these as spares until my current rotors go.

Will it be a problem if I replace my current 180mm with a 160mm Ice-Tech rotor?

Also, will these rotors fit on my current wheelset?

EDIT: Reason for making this thread, I see CWC has the 160mm on special for R299 for quite some time, just thought it is a good price.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

I ride a road bike with discs... (I KNOW! right?). anyway, the OEM discs would start to grind and grate under heavy braking... So, pads out, bit of sandpaper on a flat surface and all would be right for a ride or two... Then it's start again. Got some Ice Tech rotors and it's a things of the past. Braking is better too. And this AFTER the bike store eschewed selling me the Ice Tech rotors, saying they were a waste of money. Ok, they didn't have stock... so there's that....

@BaGearA: Well if the brake pads are going to be a problem, I'll just replace it when installing the new rotors.

Okay, so would you guys say it will be a good move to buy two of these as spares until my current rotors go.

Will it be a problem if I replace my current 180mm with a 160mm Ice-Tech rotor?

Also, will these rotors fit on my current wheelset?

EDIT: Reason for making this thread, I see CWC has the 160mm on special for R299 for quite some time, just thought it is a good price.

Rather don't fit old pads to new rotors. Ride the old ones till they are done, if you can tolerate them, then fit new pads together with the new rotors.

Ice tech rotors are alu centre sandwiched between steel facings then riveted to an alu carrier. This helps to conduct heat away on long fast descents. They work noticeably better than same sized normal steel rotors in those conditions. I also find they are quite stiff and seldom bend or drag.....pricey though. My 1st set has lasted about 8000 km of riding and has 20% life to go . I've only used normal resin pads so far.

The SM RT99 have fancy additional cooling fins on the rotor. I would not personally downsize from 180 to 160 in front...maybe rear though. I'm 90kg on a 29er and ride a 203mm up front (SM-RT86) due to weight and the larger wheel.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edited by JXV

Initially I wasn't sold on the idea of these rotors. Not that I doubted the science behind them but that I didn't believe we had long enough descents in RSA to justify them. I was so wrong. Turns out being a heavy novice rider back in the day led to hectic unnecessary brake usage. I ended up warping rotor after rotor front and rear due to super overheating. The lack of stiff center diecast star in standard discs also made them more prone to becoming warped. Not even going into how spongy my brakes became with the regular oil abuse. Since switching to ice tech ive only had to replace the finned scintered brakes as they worn out. Bleeding my xt sets became a thing of the calender rather than brakes feeling gross. So ja. Ice tech all the way. And definitely not only for pros.

Thanks for all the replies guys, sounds like I need to jump on these. :)

@JXV: My dad suggested getting these as spares for when my current rotors reach its end of life, so would definitely only fit and use them later on. I am a very light rider, to be specific: 58kg and 1,74m. With that given information of myself, would you say 160mm front and rear would suffice?

Just my last question, would these rotors fit on my bike?

Thanks for all the replies guys, sounds like I need to jump on these. :)

@JXV: My dad suggested getting these as spares for when my current rotors reach its end of life, so would definitely only fit and use them later on. I am a very light rider, to be specific: 58kg and 1,74m. With that given information of myself, would you say 160mm front and rear would suffice?

Just my last question, would these rotors fit on my bike?

The RT99 rotors are centrelock specific. If you dont have centrelock hubs then you must go for a 6 bolt rotor (SM RT86 is the 6 bolt version of icetech).

At your weight you would probably be ok on a 160 front rotor but remember wheel size is a factor too. And if you change from 180 to 160 then you will need to change the caliper's mount adapter. The 160 may enable the caliper to be mounted directly to posts without an adapter but if its an IS mount then you def need a new adapter.

Edited by JXV

Great rotors, but just be careful, they are very soft and fragile.

I have replaced two already. One hit from a klippie and they are thrown in the bin. 

Edited by Wil6

What you gain in going icetec, you lose when you drop the size from 180 to160mm. And you have to spend more money to buy a new adapter. Smaller rotors has less braking power than bigger rotors, and gets hotter than larger diameter rotors - due to more friction (smaller surface area, have to be harder on the brakes), so they also wear quicker.

Yes you may be light, but you also have to look at what kind of riding you do, what brakes you have on your bike, what wheelsize do you ride, if you brake with a single digit or two fingers, or full hand, then do you ride on your brakes on downhills (are you a cautious rider?) or do you just brake when all other options run out?

Do you actually wear rotors out?  I have been riding for quite some time, and have actually never had to replace rotors due to wear.  Damage - yes, aesthetic reasons - yes, updating parts - yes, wear - no.

Icetec is super stuff and lekker bling - and if it was a case of your existing rotors are wasted, and you just wanted to replace with same size, I would say it was a no-brainer. Dropping a size, just to buy something at a discounted price, could come with a whole bunch of unwanted side effects - and leave you in exactly the same place you were before spending the money, or maybe off worse.

What you gain in going icetec, you lose when you drop the size from 180 to160mm. And you have to spend more money to buy a new adapter. Smaller rotors has less braking power than bigger rotors, and gets hotter than larger diameter rotors - due to more friction (smaller surface area, have to be harder on the brakes), so they also wear quicker.

Yes you may be light, but you also have to look at what kind of riding you do, what brakes you have on your bike, what wheelsize do you ride, if you brake with a single digit or two fingers, or full hand, then do you ride on your brakes on downhills (are you a cautious rider?) or do you just brake when all other options run out?

Do you actually wear rotors out?  I have been riding for quite some time, and have actually never had to replace rotors due to wear.  Damage - yes, aesthetic reasons - yes, updating parts - yes, wear - no.

Icetec is super stuff and lekker bling - and if it was a case of your existing rotors are wasted, and you just wanted to replace with same size, I would say it was a no-brainer. Dropping a size, just to buy something at a discounted price, could come with a whole bunch of unwanted side effects - and leave you in exactly the same place you were before spending the money, or maybe off worse.

Me neither, wonder how many pads you must go through to get there... 9000km on my one set and still in perfect condition

Nothing more to say than this. 

Listen to the man, Andrew. 

Icetech discs may have less tolerance for wear because you can have a nasty crash if you wear through the steel facings into the alu core. They start life at 2mm thick and Shimano recommends replacing at 1.5mm. There will be some extra meat for safety factor but be careful.

My set has done about 7500km of 90% trail riding and worn to 1.6mm in that time. Spares are waiting in the cupboard. I use the RT86 in 203 front and 180 rear. Expensive but specials come up from time to time.