Is Steel Real?

Hairy

Steel and Your Views  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Have you owned a steel bike before?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you consider, or do you plan to own a steel bike?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you think steel bikes are sexy?

• Hell Yes
    • Stupid question, naturally Steel Bike are Sexy!
    • I drool when looking at Steel Bikes

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had to dig deep into “my participated” threads to find this.

Today, I caught up on some podcasts, and this one was quite enjoyable. Like Tom, I can’t tell the difference (poetically) between my carbon frame and steel frame, but the steel frame just feels better.

https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/the-cycling-podcast/id665713706?i=1000479478074

In this episode of Service Course Tom Whalley and Lizzy Banks delve into the world of bespoke bikes. We speak to Phil Taylor, one of the founders of the UK’s handmade bike festival, Bespoked, which had been due to take place in May. Phil tells us the story of how he set up Bespoked while holding down his other day job as a psychotherapist.

We also speak with custom bike builders Liz Coleman and Duncan Crossley about the challenges of keeping building during the lockdown period.

Finally we hear from Rick Bailey and Dan Smith of Cycles in Motion about the intricacies of selecting the right tubing for the right job and how to get the perfect custom fit.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I am a big fan of steel mtb frames because they are comfortable.

I own an orange P7 29 which is great but it comes from the UK

My question: is there anywhere in SA where I can get steel mtb frames 29 ?

I see there is Momsen but the geometry is not the new slack geometry yet.

I see there is Mercer (hand built) but they come at a high cost.

Are there any "Cotic" type of steel Mtb frames available here in SA ? 

If they are not manufactured here is there maybe an agent in SA who imports these from the UK, Europe, US etc?

Looking forward to your feedback.

Regards

If they are not manufactured here is there maybe an agent in SA who imports these from the UK, Europe, US etc?

Regards

Hey Marksug

No.... 

Cotic used to have a SA agent. Perhaps not anymore? Can't remember the oke's name. Anyone?

And Ride Farr used to import their own steel frames. Also can't remember if they made the switch to Al only?

Regards

Edited by Fat Boab

Cotic used to have a SA agent. Perhaps not anymore? Can't remember the oke's name. Anyone?

And Ride Farr used to import their own steel frames. Also can't remember if they made the switch to Al only?

Thank you for your feedback. I do appreciate it

My medium sized Singular Swift frame and fork are on the market as my new frame is on its way... message me

"I'm not sure what steel is for.... My memory of steel frames is not good. They all break. Reynolds 531c, 531P, 708, 753, Columbus SLX. Only one that didn't was an SPX track frame."

You arent going to see many 40 or 50 yr old aluminium or carbon bikes in years to come, there are many steel bikes that age even doing rides like Eroica

Soma makes the Juice, Riff, and Valhallen. They are available locally (on order). Tange Prestige steel bikes. They are not the extreme 64* headangle things that some people make and are the flavor of the day but all offer a good compromise And are super classy bikes. I have the Valhallen and i love it, depending on the configuration it can be anything from a 140mm trail bike to a bikepacker to a monstercross to a xc machine...in 29” or 27+.

The are brought in by David:

https://everydaycyclesupplyco.com/

Then you get the a Kona Honzo ST from trail tech cycles In nelspruit:

https://trailtechcycles.co.za/collections/bike-frames/products/kona-bikes-honzo-st-29-frameset-green-gold

Soma makes the Juice, Riff, and Valhallen. They are available locally (on order). Tange Prestige steel bikes. They are not the extreme 64* headangle things that some people make and are the flavor of the day but all offer a good compromise And are super classy bikes. I have the Valhallen and i love it, depending on the configuration it can be anything from a 140mm trail bike to a bikepacker to a monstercross to a xc machine...in 29” or 27+.

The are brought in by David:

https://everydaycyclesupplyco.com/

Then you get the a Kona Honzo ST from trail tech cycles In nelspruit:

https://trailtechcycles.co.za/collections/bike-frames/products/kona-bikes-honzo-st-29-frameset-green-gold

Thanks for this!

Now there are heaps of ideas in my head, pity no money in my wallet for it.

"I'm not sure what steel is for.... My memory of steel frames is not good. They all break. Reynolds 531c, 531P, 708, 753, Columbus SLX. Only one that didn't was an SPX track frame."

You arent going to see many 40 or 50 yr old aluminium or carbon bikes in years to come, there are many steel bikes that age even doing rides like Eroica

Steel as a material and it's nature will have a far longer fatigue lifespan than aluminium.

I am assuming the steel frames you are referring to above are older gen steel frames where they were really pushing the steel wall thickness in order to cut weight as much as possible?

New steels, with better science and manufacturing should provide a far better product, and MTB frames are generally thicker tubed frames to take the inerrant abuse it will see. 

My personal experience shows 3 x broken aluminium frames, and zero broken steel frames. I have had a few steel frames.

My road bike is a Hansom Reynolds 708 Classic, circa 1992. New paint job, new wheels, new 11 speed groupset, frame still going strong. Bastard thing just won’t break, so I still ride it and upgrade it along the way.

I also recently acquired a 80s columbus SLX road bike and although it has been restored....the frame looks like the day it rolled off the floor. And it rides amazing. So compliant for something rolling on 23c tires.

And its also no secret that i only have steel Mtb’s lol. Recently when the Tange Prestige one got ‘appropriated’ and i thought it was gone for good...i rebuilt an old Alu mtb just so i could ride. It was the first time on a alu bike in 4 years. The differences in how the materials feel when riding are huge imo. I’m sure modern aloy bikes are a bit better but to me Alu comparatively feels like you are riding on tires inflated to 20bar.

I recently watched this GCN video where the presenter traded his top spec canyon road bike for a vintage steel bike for the day to do a piece on how far bike tech has come. Obviously the new bike was faster, lighter, more efficient. But he could not say the carbon bike was more comfortable...he actually said the vintage steel bike was nicer to ride from that standpoint....taking out the road buzz that the newest and stiffest and best frame materials just inherently cant. He also made the same point mentioned by someone else earlier....our throw away culture and the way consumerism works means things aren't designed to last anymore....and thats part of the reason why you wont see any vintage carbon bikes around in 30y time....just like how generic 2020 model year cars wont be classics in the future...

• 2 weeks later...