Where are all the tandems at?

dylangeorge

Am I looking in all the wrong places, or are there only 3 options for buying a new tandem? 

Option 1: Canondale Tandem  (R45k+)
Option 2: Avalanche ENVI 29er (R13.5k), 

Option 3: Raleigh Duo (surprisingly, only listed on Makro's site R29k - No bicycle shops have actually mentioned it to me)

Where are the rest of the options? Surely the market is big enough for more than 3 brands to compete? 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Meyer1. I've dropped them an email. but they only list the above 2 bikes (Canondale and Avalanche) and one other random cruiser. 

I'm looking for more affordable road bike tandem options. 

I'm looking for something between R15k and R30k. 
Ideally, 105 components and disc brakes. Nothing else (other than size) is that important to me. 

Canondales are excluded because of price, 

The Avalanche didn't impress me when I took it for a test ride, and I wasn't really looking for a MTB tandem anyway. 

I already have a  decent second hand tandem, but I'm looking to upgrade to a newer model with disc brakes. 

Given the price range, I expected to at least have a few options to choose from?

• 11 months later...

I'm looking for something between R15k and R30k. 

Ideally, 105 components and disc brakes. Nothing else (other than size) is that important to me. 

Canondales are excluded because of price, 

The Avalanche didn't impress me when I took it for a test ride, and I wasn't really looking for a MTB tandem anyway. 

I already have a  decent second hand tandem, but I'm looking to upgrade to a newer model with disc brakes. 

Given the price range, I expected to at least have a few options to choose from?

Dylan, I have an RT 2 Tandem Cannondale with many additional features - its a medium small set up to take my wife and IO - I am 1,79m and so is she (you can get the people on it).

It has TRP HYRD Hydraulic disks added rather than the Avid Cable discs and a 105 Groupset - we aren't really using it any more.

The wheels were handbuilt by Ruan Deysel from Spokeworks to make them extra strong at about R7k. Brakes are a R4500 Upgrade.

the bikes in very good condition. I will take R 28k if you are interested.

One of these - also white with red detailing:

https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com/product/cannondale-road-tandem-2-196337-1.htm

While we're on this topic please let me know if anyone can assist with a conversion to a 56 (or whatever is advisable) front blade from a 53... we running out of gears on the flats!

It's for the FSA standard Cannondale 2 105 cranks.

While we're on this topic please let me know if anyone can assist with a conversion to a 56 (or whatever is advisable) front blade from a 53... we running out of gears on the flats!

It's for the FSA standard Cannondale 2 105 cranks.

We run a 56, Tried a 55 and still ran out of gears. what size small blade you want to run? We went up to a 44. The jump up from the standard sizes is just too big for the deraileur to handle. A 42 can work but it's not ideal, you need to plan your changes and both back off the power. 

We run a 56, Tried a 55 and still ran out of gears. what size small blade you want to run? We went up to a 44. The jump up from the standard sizes is just too big for the deraileur to handle. A 42 can work but it's not ideal, you need to plan your changes and both back off the power. 

Thx for the feedback - we have a 3 blade but would like to take the small blade off as we've never used it. Our total weight is 125 kgs (incl. tandem).

Will any bike shop be able to source the blades and fit them?

Thx for the feedback - we have a 3 blade but would like to take the small blade off as we've never used it. Our total weight is 125 kgs (incl. tandem).

Will any bike shop be able to source the blades and fit them?

Jeez 125kgs all incl-eat some slap chips :clap:

Yeah we chucked that tiny ring long ago. we managed to climb that jim parsons climb at tshwane classic with the 44-28 so it's fine for most of our local races.

When we bought our 56 the shops we tried could only sell us what cool heat stock and at that stage cool heat had nothing(they pretty useless). Also it's an older shape when it comes to pitch and amount of holes. We ended up getting from CRC. A bike shop should be able to fit it, same as fitting on a single bike. 

If I am looking at getting a tandem (me and my wife), what are the key stuff to look our for, and what to avoid.  I mean I see there are limited options available, and a number of customised / smaller builders out there (like Exocet, Ravo, etc).

More thinking of going road tandem than mtb tandem.

If I am looking at getting a tandem (me and my wife), what are the key stuff to look our for, and what to avoid.  I mean I see there are limited options available, and a number of customised / smaller builders out there (like Exocet, Ravo, etc).

Try borrow one first(if you have never ridden with the wife before). We have such a small variety available in this country if you buy from the bike shops. If you have the time, money and resources then import one.

Things to look out for-STRONG wheels. We have 2 sets of rolfs for our racing tandem and they constantly out of true and breaking spokes. On our training tandem we have much stronger wheels with white industry hubs and they haven't given us a days trouble.

Geometry at the back-make sure the stoker fits properly as the back is traditionally a little shorter than a single bike(this is where a custom frame could help).

So I guess the first question is whether you're going to get on while on the bike? - Myself and my wife get on really well on the tandem, but I think it may be harder for couples where you're both experienced cyclists (tandem was her first adult cycling experience, and a great way for her to get some exposure to some really long distance cycling and doing some races).

Then there are a few things you should consider:

What bike:

Second hand is a good option, and Cannondale is probably the most robust and best supported in South Africa. A tandem under 10k is probably too cheap - remember this is a bike that the 2 of you may ride at over 100kph (we've clocked over 100 on cedar road on the 94.7). You can probably pick up something good for 20-25k if you're patient.

Disc brakes (or cantilevered) are a good option. I've always had more success with a 2x10 gearset than I do on 3x. Finally if you take a look at the Mpumalanga tandems you'll see that most of them have an elliptical inner chainring - very worthwhile upgrade if you're planning on lots of climbing.

Tandem fitting (I'm assuming you're a few inches taller than her, and probably the more experienced cyclist):

Look to get her a shorter crankset than the one you're using. shorter legs on shorter cranks will manage a higher range of cadence (I.e. if you want her to get 100rpm to match you, then don't expect her to get there with a 175mm crank. a 170mm crank would be better)

Find yourself a really well fitted saddle. For whatever reason you put a lot more force thorough your sitbones on a tandem, and I've found saddles that were comfy on other bikes just didn't support me any more on the tandem. eventually settled on the Spesh Power saddle which has been great.

Finally if you have timing chain trouble you might consider going to wide-narrow timing chainrings. cheaper than the belt, and just as secure.

My 2c worth.