2017 field includes “the best marathon racers in the world”

News bot

Definitely one of the stronger fields assembled; a winner will be tough to pick. Coming off the 2016 Olympics, though, you have to back Nino Schurter to give it a full go. Not sure Sauser can keep up with Kulhavy for 8 days. My pick for the win; the Topeak crowd or the Olympic champ. Robyn de Groot (strongest rider in the ladies race, no doubt) and Sabine to take the ladies title.

I am hoping that Schurter takes it, but would not mind seeing Platt and Sauser giving each other horns again. Also, Lakat and Hynek would be awesome to see them take the win, as they deserve it.

Ah heck, anyone and all of the above for the win will be great.

On the ladies' side. Luthi for her 4th, but then de Groot, Neethling, Strauss would make it awesome to see homegrown talent making a big impact.

This Epic is going to be soooooo tight , can't wait !

WTF is Anika Langval???? .....And this guy is not the first to pronounce it like that 

I am hoping that Schurter takes it, but would not mind seeing Platt and Sauser giving each other horns again. Also, Lakat and Hynek would be awesome to see them take the win, as they deserve it.

Ah heck, anyone and all of the above for the win will be great.

On the ladies' side. Luthi for her 4th, but then de Groot, Neethling, Strauss would make it awesome to see homegrown talent making a big impact.

How do you come to the conclusion that someone "deserves" to win?

I think Kulhavey will push Sauser around for 8 days in record time.

Once Kulhavey puts his hand on Sausers seat and starts pushing, this is all you will see....

http://blog.edx.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/star-wars-giphy.gif

Edited by Patchelicious

Definitely one of the stronger fields assembled; a winner will be tough to pick. Coming off the 2016 Olympics, though, you have to back Nino Schurter to give it a full go. Not sure Sauser can keep up with Kulhavy for 8 days. My pick for the win; the Topeak crowd or the Olympic champ. Robyn de Groot (strongest rider in the ladies race, no doubt) and Sabine to take the ladies title.

I think its the other way around.... not sure if you follow Sauser on strava, but the guy's not human.... he hasn't weakened an iota since "retiring".

Edited by rattlesnake

How do you come to the conclusion that someone "deserves" to win?

Perhaps not in the "literal" sense, as in for instance Sauser must "let" them win. I was typing faster than I think, whilst trying to multitask. 

What I was thinking while typing was, they have been consistent the last couple of years, and have been putting in some hard efforts over the few times I watched the race since beginning to get interested in this type of sport.

What I meant by "deserved" was that because of their sustained effort and getting close to winning, (not taking anything from anyone else here) they "should" win a race soon. You know like when you watch any sport and the commentator says something like "and that was a well deserved win" or something similar.

geddit?

Sheez, these days even the Hub has gotten to be a place of being "PC". Dot the T's and cross the I's.

The other two that I hear the pros rate very highly are Markus Kaufmann and Jochen Kaess of Centurion Vaude. They were winning in 2014 after Stage 1 from the Bulls when one of them broke his frame. They then handed over wheels to eventual winners Hynek and Mennen when one of the  Topeak Ergon guys got a bad flat. Kaess and Kaufmann haven't been able to race together since then because of injuries

This Epic is going to be soooooo tight , can't wait !

WTF is Anika Langval???? .....And this guy is not the first to pronounce it like that 

Langval is how you pronounce her surname (she was asked how to pronounce her surname at the race a couple years ago by Paul Kaye)

I think Kulhavey will push Sauser around for 8 days in record time.

Once Kulhavey puts his hand on Sausers seat and starts pushing, this is all you will see....

http://blog.edx.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/star-wars-giphy.gif

This is pretty much exactly what I think. He was so much better than the rest of the field two years ago, I was sad to watch a team race. (Like Annika last year)

Really hope Nino comes to fight though.

Langval is how you pronounce her surname (she was asked how to pronounce her surname at the race a couple years ago by Paul Kaye)

She should have asked him how to pronounce his name ????