Incident at Cycling SA Road Champs

News bot

I heard about this last night from someone doing timing at the event. She didn't know how the rider was so its good to get an official release. You have to wonder how this could happen at a national event...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been on their case about this since yesterday.

Mike Bradleys only response was:

"we did every possible effort to keep cyclists safe. Driver of truck ignored marshalls & blocked road."

We im still surprised that this happened but now I can say im not surprised ! This should NEVER have happened.... im gutted to hear that someone will have back surgery and on that age .....? This could affect his life (I hope it doesn't and I hope hes back soon).

it just shows you how FAAAAAAR behind we are in Cycling and in the world overall when it comes to respect for cyclists on the roads!

I too ride on those roads and the farm owners and workers (driver) have total disregard for us... if I had to count the number of times I nearly got ran over by them ill never stop counting... its shocking !!!

Same thing when we had tour of SA (think it was 2011) when drivers threatened to drive into the cyclists lanes and run them over... "wat de *&^* soek hulle op die pad" is what I saw !!!

I totally agree with what everyone said here so far....

I've been on their case about this since yesterday.

Mike Bradleys only response was:

"we did every possible effort to keep cyclists safe. Driver of truck ignored marshalls & blocked road."

Now this is a good time for the CSA to do what they must.  CSA should now lay a charge of Driver negligence and Assault against the driver and get a conviction, then they can say they have done what they can. 

Guys, apparently the truck ignored marshals and went on the course wherafter the incident happened. Can't really blame CSA on this one, except if you expect them to literally jump in front of the truck?!

Edit: Here is the tweet I saw " @GenOrnsby @AndreSymes @Cycling_SA we did every possible effort to keep cyclists safe. Driver of truck ignored marshalls & blocked road."

Edited by andydude

Guys, apparently the truck ignored marshals and went on the course wherafter the incident happened. Can't really blame CSA on this one, except if you expect them to literally jump in front of the truck?!

Edit: Here is the tweet I saw " @GenOrnsby @AndreSymes @Cycling_SA we did every possible effort to keep cyclists safe. Driver of truck ignored marshalls & blocked road."

I fully understand that and accept that they have not caused the accident.  I would like to see CSA as the official body of the sport, to be our voice and take on the matter to have people that ignore marshals at events get dealt with.

This is not the first time that people ignore marshals at events and just drive as the like and causing accidents, yet nothing is done about it.  CSA officials are at events and enforce all kind of little rules wrt to licenses and sponsors and clothing and you name it.  As I have said many times before in the last couple of days, we need a body to take on the road safety issue and I am of the opinion that this should be the CSA.

I fully understand that and accept that they have not caused the accident. I would like to see CSA as the official body of the sport, to be our voice and take on the matter to have people that ignore marshals at events get dealt with.

This is not the first time that people ignore marshals at events and just drive as the like and causing accidents, yet nothing is done about it. CSA officials are at events and enforce all kind of little rules wrt to licenses and sponsors and clothing and you name it. As I have said many times before in the last couple of days, we need a body to take on the road safety issue and I am of the opinion that this should be the CSA.

Agreed. But not just CSA, all bodies are needed to address the current road carnage.

We need a voice, and these bodies are our voice.

This is SA and CSA. I more or less stopped riding on the road, even in races organised events, when I was very, very nearly taken out properly by a mommy who ignored marshalls and a red traffic light and headed straight for me during a big local event. Very scary.

This case is a shocker. CSA should have traffic police, even SAPS on stand by and driver should have long been arrested. At the very least name and shame truck owner (please don't say it was Super Group - unlikely I know) and maybe where he was delivering to. CSA / PPA to open a damages case against driver and owner (provided they (CSA) were within the law regarding the event and marshalling).

Why did they just not stop the race/rider until road was safe again ?

Edited by Karman de Lange

Same thing when we had tour of SA (think it was 2011) when drivers threatened to drive into the cyclists lanes and run them over... "wat de *&^* soek hulle op die pad" is what I saw !!!

Someone actually drove into person next to me on the Durbi Dash .. Doctor nogals. Luckily no harm done.

Why did they just not stop the race/rider until road was safe again ?

ever done a TT? 

Rider had mentally prepared that entire day. 

in the moment i bet he had his head down giving it his all.

imagine getting stopped and told to start over?

doubt he would have been able to put out the same effort for a second time

a shitty incident. 

i really do hope they push charges against the driver and subsequently the owner of the truck.

the owner needs to be responsible for the drivers actions via a company code of conduct.

My wife and I were for a short while watching the men 60+ and women 50+. On one of the first laps of the race the men came past us as we standing at the Lady Loch bridge intersection. The men were racing with a farm truck right behind them and in the truck's slip stream was a hand cyclist. The race commissioner was trying to get the truck out of the way. The commissioner was overtaking the truck on the wrong side of the road around a corner where there was a solid white line. That was an accident which has was about to happen. That was a very unsafe moment in the lives of all the riders especially the para cyclist would have gone under the wheels of the truck should it have braked suddenly.

The commissioner was trying to manage a situation which was totally out of his or her control.

Are the roads closed for the event or left open? If open, this kind of incident will probably repeat itself.

ever done a TT? 

Rider had mentally prepared that entire day. 

in the moment i bet he had his head down giving it his all.

imagine getting stopped and told to start over?

doubt he would have been able to put out the same effort for a second time

a shitty incident. 

i really do hope they push charges against the driver and subsequently the owner of the truck.

the owner needs to be responsible for the drivers actions via a company code of conduct.

Nope, but I rather redo a race than lie in hospital bed.  

For me its always safety first, there always another day for a race.