Which one - Giant or Silverback entry level

Dom031

Hi all,

Just starting out recreational MTB, deciding on my first entry level bike that fits my budget.

The local store recommends a Giant Revel 1 or the Silverback Spectra Comp. Both 29er's.

Giant standard at R8600  and the Silverback with an upgraded rear derailleur for R8400.

The SB has air shocks which is quite a nice upgrade I am told over the Giant coil shocks and the Giant has one level up (Acera) on the shifters over what the SB (Altus) has, that's the only difference. 

Otherwise, they're the same for the most part. Sales guy reckons Giant is the "in" brand, he'd personally go for the SB. I am leaning towards the SB as well, but I'd like some opinions please.

Thank you

I would go with a secondhand bike if you're starting out. That way you can sell it for close to what you paid if you like it and want to upgrade.

You would be able to get a really good silverback secondhand for R8-R9k with all round way better components.

But agreed, between the two mentioned take the Silwerbek!

With an R8400 to R10000...you will be much beter off buying a  2nd hand bike in the Classifieds...I will save up at least R5000 more and you will be able to buy a near super bike

But if you have to go New...SB

Edited by MDK!

I will def buy new, last thing what you want when starting out is spending on chains / casette and blades. At least yiu have minimal risk when going new.

Edited by Robo

Buy new, if you have any hassles or need help you can always go back to the shop.

If you buy second hand you may have to spend more afterwards to get the bike 100%.

Go with the silverback.

Silverback, the price to upgrade the Giant to similar Silverbacks air shock will be more expensive than replacing the Silverbacks shifter's to similar Giant, 

Make sure of the Giant shock. As far as I know the Revel 1 comes with a air shock as well.

Revel 1 now top of the Revel range ( no more 0 ).

Should have a XCR air shock.

Silverback without a doubt. Under rated bikes but exceptional value for money.

I looked at one today and think I'll buy it on Monday. Frame has a 5yr warranty and 1yr on components.

Even received a very generous discount from LBS.

btw. Been riding a Silverback road bike for 4yrs now and it's awesome.

Another for the Silverback. Exceptional bikes & exceptional value for money. I should know as I have owned two previous to my current Silverback Slade.

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your feedback. Overwhelming in favour of the SB. Confirmed my leanings in that direction, thank you. 

Just a note on the 2nd hand route, I considered it but as others here stated, I am far more comfortable starting out with new, I've got the store to go back to with queries and questions, they have also offered to let me come back after riding it for a while and make adjustments to the seat position, stem angle, length etc etc to better suit me. At this initial starting stage, I wouldn't have a clue what to look out for in used bikes that might bite me after buying one, so for right now, I feel going new is the best option for me.

Thank you again all.