Second success for Dalton at SA Road Champs

News bot

Cooler, but still very warm Western Cape temperatures greeted the Elite, U23 and Junior Women at the start of their Road Races for the 2017 South African National Road Championships in Wellington on Saturday 11 February. Team Demacon’s Heidi Dalton rode away to take both the Elite as well as U23 Women’s titles after claiming the U23 Time Trial win on Thursday.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw somewhere that Moolman mentioned something about great confusion on the day. Wonder what that was about

elite and u23's - one race - if an u23 wins then they are elite and u23 champ. the issue was: they didn't know the rules - they thought Dalton would be crowned u23 champ only so they didnt chase thinking they still racing for elite gold.the rules are quiet clear they just need to read and understand them.

This U23/Elite story is not unique to SA, it's happened (in 2014) at the Irish national champs, as well as the other "home" nations, and even Aus (first 3 were U23 and the 4th person an Elite).

The link to the Impey/Meintjes story on this forum ins 2014 explains it quite well... https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/news/road/sa-road-cycling/cycling-sa-clarifies-ruling-regarding-u23-and-elite-road-championship-jerseys-r1210

... but I prefer the Irish explanation: I know it is confusing but it is done that way to ensure that the first rider over the line is the Irish National Road Race Champion.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/confused-about-the-awarding-of-the-u23-and-elite-titles-at-the-champs-this-explains-it/

Just a moan.

Same thing that happened when Meintjies won 2 years ago. After which the rules were very clear.

The rules that were told to the riders and the team managers were not the same as what panned out. They were told that the U/23 and elites would be starting together but it would be two separate race results. So when Elmari who was an U/23 rider broke away the team managers confirmed with the comms that she would be classified as u/23 and the elite title is still open....and the comms apparently confirmed this. They were asked the same question when Heidi broke and confirmed that it is two separate results, but true to SA Cycling they did not take note of the UCI rule on this which overules the CSA rules

Heidi deserves the win she took it to them with one lap to go

Well take Heidi out of the equation, Ashley would still not have won, An-Li would have. Heidi being u23 had no bearing on Ashley not winning.....hence, a moan.

apparently the officials were still debating the issue after the race. typical. the issue should have been cleared up at the team manager's meeting before the race.

By all accounts it was...another good example...at track SA's last year CSA's rules stated no overshoes on the pursuit...UCI permits it...thus overruled.

Mistakes are being made far to often by comms and they have no consistency.

Riders tend not to make a fuss about things because they know it might just bite them in the long run...

So if 35+ wins the race he wins both 35+ and 30+?

Sorry, but I don't understand the rule and I don't understand why different cats race together?

So if 35+ wins the race he wins both 35+ and 30+?

Sorry, but I don't understand the rule and I don't understand why different cats race together?

Probably just a numbers thing - look at the size of the bunch in the pics of the article, and that is Elite AND U23 ladies. As far as I can see from the results, only sixteen Elite ladies started, and twelve U23 ladies.