Second success for Dalton at SA Road Champs

News bot

apparently the officials were still debating the issue after the race. typical. the issue should have been cleared up at the team manager's meeting before the race.

Wtf ????

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

apparently the officials were still debating the issue after the race. typical. the issue should have been cleared up at the team manager's meeting before the race.

This is just laughable!!

Congrats Heidi...

So if 35+ wins the race he wins both 35+ and 30+?

Sorry, but I don't understand the rule and I don't understand why different cats race together?

No, yesterday the 35-39 dude, crossed the line first and the 30-34 dude second. Each won their own Category. Must say watching the guys come into the sprint there was more looking around trying to figure out which rider was were than concentrating on sprinting flat out. This mixing categories is a bit of a mess.

Two guys celebrating a win in the same picture:

https://instagram.com/p/BQaxdSglpQa/

Edited by Patchelicious

No, yesterday the 35-39 dude, crossed the line first and the 30-34 dude second. Each won their own Category. Must say watching the guys come into the sprint there was more looking around trying to figure out which rider was were than concentrating on sprinting flat out. This mixing categories is a bit of a mess.

Aren't those 2 age groups are rather competitive with a lot of entries, wouldn't it be better to have 2 races for those categories?

Patch, the looking around was us trying to find space, I can promise you that.

I didn't even get to give a proper kick as the finish lane was so narrow with the barriers, it totally negated the sprint.

Sorry, but I don't understand the rule and I don't understand why different cats race together?

Don't confuse Vets racing with Juniors, U23 and Elite - Vets don't qualify for UCI ranking points so it's treated slightly differently.

With it being a lap circuit (12Km), you can't have too many groups on the road at the same time, otherwise the comms will be working overtime to neutralise the bunch each time a fast group/break passes. It's not fair on the riders either.

With more groups, it means more start times - Vets 30-49 raced at 07:00 and 07:05 and finished before the Elite/U23 and Juniors took to the circuit at 11:00. Imagine they split these Vets into 5 year age groups, the Elites would be starting at 14:00 and finishing close to 18:00.

Probably just a numbers thing - look at the size of the bunch in the pics of the article, and that is Elite AND U23 ladies. As far as I can see from the results, only sixteen Elite ladies started, and twelve U23 ladies.

As HbB above below categories are joined together based on numbers. 

For the Elite/U23, if the categories are separated, South Africa won't get UCI points, which means less numbers at World Champs and also at the Olympics (currently not a qualifying year). 

Please note that I am not defending them in any way - I've had my fair share of run-ins with consistency.

30 / 35 / 40 / 50 is not really a "thing".

It is only the NATIONAL title that counts.

That is why FIRST OVER THE LINE matters and not really your age.

So in the "cats" (age wise) it is not really a problem as it is just for "fun" and ego. 

You have to have ONE race where ONE winner emerge as the National Champ.

If you are at Elite level and part of a team, you have to know the rules unfortunately. 

Heidi did a gutsy ride. 

I didn't even get to give a proper kick as the finish lane was so narrow with the barriers, it totally negated the sprint.

I'm trying to find the document, but IIRC the minimum width is 8m.

Will edit this once I find the document, if wrong.

I was more referring to the guys in the podium positions.

Yes, agree the space thing was a issue a bit further back.

I was more referring to the guys in the podium positions.

Yes, agree the space thing was a issue a bit further back.

A metre or two left or right and I could have been contending the podium.

30 / 35 / 40 / 50 is not really a "thing".

It is only the NATIONAL title that counts.

That is why FIRST OVER THE LINE matters and not really your age.

So in the "cats" (age wise) it is not really a problem as it is just for "fun" and ego. 

You have to have ONE race where ONE winner emerge as the National Champ.

If you are at Elite level and part of a team, you have to know the rules unfortunately. 

Heidi did a gutsy ride. 

Please don't say it was just for fun.

So I did the race and was actually very surprised at the fact that there were no Doping control

Nothing , zero.. I mean its only the biggest "Race" in SA.

So I did the race and was actually very surprised at the fact that there were no Doping control

Nothing , zero.. I mean its only the biggest "Race" in SA.

There was a massive tent by the farm stall.

Was it not used? I saw the Fairplay car there too?

Aren't those 2 age groups are rather competitive with a lot of entries, wouldn't it be better to have 2 races for those categories?

Nah, those guys treat it like a coffee ride, lank chilled. 

The rules that were told to the riders and the team managers were not the same as what panned out. They were told that the U/23 and elites would be starting together but it would be two separate race results. So when Elmari who was an U/23 rider broke away the team managers confirmed with the comms that she would be classified as u/23 and the elite title is still open....and the comms apparently confirmed this. They were asked the same question when Heidi broke and confirmed that it is two separate results, but true to SA Cycling they did not take note of the UCI rule on this which overules the CSA rules

Heidi deserves the win she took it to them with one lap to go

She also pulled a Pure Savage move attacking in the feed zone. Thats one of our favourite tactics!