Malaria protection for Cape Epic

Onlynine

The map is below. But, know the symptoms and if you need any medical help in the weeks following, best mention it so that tests can be done. In malaria areas it's a quick and common test, but in Denmark, I doubt it'll cross anyone's mind.

http://www.malariamaps.hps.scot.nhs.uk/images/malariamaps/southafrica/southafrica.gif

After each stages you will show the symptoms of malaria - 

1) Dehydration 

2) Nausea 

3) Tried and sleepy

4) Hot flushes, when in your two man tent in 30 plus degrees

This is normal and lasts eight days.

You don't need to bring any medication with you at all - the only exception is you may want to bring some treatment for an upset stomach to keep with you to deal with diarrhea and/or stomach cramps.

Anything else the race medical tent will help you with - in fact they will help you with the above as well - but not in the middle of the night when you might need it.

The other thing you MUST have is sunblock - factor 50 and waterproof - you can buy it in SA easily - I recommend Island Tribe products - but you may want to do a bit of experimenting to ensure that whatever you use does not sting your eyes.

Also - a stick of insect repellent - also you can buy it here at any local pharmacy - Peaceful sleep is a good brand.

And chamois cream - the best you can buy....

See you on the line.

One more thing - if you are not running your tires tubeless - then you must convert now and use slightly more sealant than recommended on the bottle.

You don't need to bring any medication with you at all - the only exception is you may want to bring some treatment for an upset stomach to keep with you to deal with diarrhea and/or stomach cramps.

Anything else the race medical tent will help you with - in fact they will help you with the above as well - but not in the middle of the night when you might need it.

The other thing you MUST have is sunblock - factor 50 and waterproof - you can buy it in SA easily - I recommend Island Tribe products - but you may want to do a bit of experimenting to ensure that whatever you use does not sting your eyes.

Also - a stick of insect repellent - also you can buy it here at any local pharmacy - Peaceful sleep is a good brand.

And chamois cream - the best you can buy....

See you on the line.

One more thing - if you are not running your tires tubeless - then you must convert now and use slightly more sealant than recommended on the bottle.

Thanks a lot to all...very usefull answers! I'm so exicted that in a few weeks we'll be in SA at the start line.....will be such a change from Sub-Zero temps here in Denmark...brrrrr

Thanks a lot to all...very usefull answers! I'm so exicted that in a few weeks we'll be in SA at the start line.....will be such a change from Sub-Zero temps here in Denmark...brrrrr

You might want to find a sauna to train in a bit... :) aim for high 30's Centigrade.

damnit, was about to start writing stories about lions in the streets! good luck!

damnit, was about to start writing stories about lions in the streets! good luck!

Yeah, I feel we've been robbed here (which in SA, could be interpreted in a literal sense).