[Event] The 36ONE MTB Challenge

Dryland Event Management

Why flat pedals?

I put them on for the holidays for the slipslop rides with the kids.  Kept them on and also did some longish rides which went OK and gives me some alternative foot positions, especially when standing on uphill.  The 36One is not technical, so there is probably no need for flats, but just playing with the idea (would make an easier walk up Rooiberg though)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not long to go guys, how's the training going? Looking forward to this one. Still nursing a crack rib from a tumble 2 weeks ago but should be good to go for the race. See you in 5 weeks time.

Training only now starting to pick up after a 2½ month lay-off after the Dash and the weather also not playing along. Hopefully I can still make a difference in these next 4½ weeks. I did put in quite a lot of miles for the Dash, but I don't think I can ride this one on latent fitness and muscle memory  :)

Training only now starting to pick up after a 2½ month lay-off after the Dash and the weather also not playing along. Hopefully I can still make a difference in these next 4½ weeks. I did put in quite a lot of miles for the Dash, but I don't think I can ride this one on latent fitness and muscle memory  :)

[/quote You should Dash through the 36one after doing the Dash, but ya I think you need to climb on your steed very soon.

Training on a  go- slow, nursing to many injuries 

But hopefully base still enough for slow long slog and injuries healed by then

I would like to sell my half race solo entry for 2017, due to a bad fall I am unable to compete. Pls contace me at 0845224994 if you are interested

Has anybody done this with flat pedals? 

I am considering it, but not sure given the distance as my longest ride with flats is only 100 k's and had different aches than "normal" after that.

Will make sure that I stand during Rooiberg descent :whistling:, although my hands took a while to recover after last years ride.

2 years ago a chap did the 180km with bear feet and clipless peddles, not even smooth flats 

2 years ago a chap did the 180km with bear feet and clipless peddles, not even smooth flats

Where did he get the bear feet???

My first 360ne , just got a couple of questions for the people who have done it before. 

What would you suggest for lighting? Strong headlamp with a few sets of batteries? 

Charging HR and GPS watches? Anyone used the garmin Fenix charger with a powerbank? how would you secure this to the bike? 

Ive done loong hours on enduro motorbikes etc and managed to handle the chafe and bum ache ok. Any suggestions for the MTB ?

Also what kind of clothing would you wear in the cold parts of the night?

Thanks,, looking forward to this! Kaking myself a little as a haven't really done adequate training

Edited by sudraka

My first 360ne , just got a couple of questions for the people who have done it before.

What would you suggest for lighting? Strong headlamp with a few sets of batteries?

Charging HR and GPS watches? Anyone used the garmin Fenix charger with a powerbank? how would you secure this to the bike?

Ive done loong hours on enduro motorbikes etc and managed to handle the chafe and bum ache ok. Any suggestions for the MTB ?

Thanks,, looking forward to this! Kaking myself a little as a haven't really done adequate training

lights: I started with 1000 lumen & changed it at 100kms, this is where i put on my windbreaker as well & arm warmers, along with the undervest I started with this was sufficient to ride through the night. You can apply chamois cream if you like but I wouldn't bother just make sure your butt is ok with long hours in the saddle. Most importantly get the tire pressure right for the corrugation & dual suspension Will be a bonus. Before the race I was very tempted to take my gravel grinder but soon after we started, only after a few kms in I was glad I didn't.

lights: I started with 1000 lumen & changed it at 100kms, this is where i put on my windbreaker as well & arm warmers, along with the undervest I started with this was sufficient to ride through the night. You can apply chamois cream if you like but I wouldn't bother just make sure your butt is ok with long hours in the saddle. Most importantly get the tire pressure right for the corrugation & dual suspension Will be a bonus. Before the race I was very tempted to take my gravel grinder but soon after we started, only after a few kms in I was glad I didn't.

What tyre pressure would you recommend from your past experience?

Also what size wheels did you have? 

It's a cool ride and go to enjoy it as well :thumbup: .

Have a look at the old thread that was used last year - I got a lot of useful information on that.  Used Extreme Endurance light, alternating between low and high.  Also used a head lamp with a set of spare batteries in Camelback (spent loooong time on road).   

Only went with HR which lasted, did not really bother with GPS or charging along the way.

I applied bum cream at every checkpoint - had it in those small plastic pill containers in my boxes at the checkpoints.  Definitely worth it in my opinion.

Check the weather closer to the day (it will hopefully not be windy :whistling: ) - last year it was warm enough to go through the night without anything extra, but it turned chilly at sunrise to at least use a windbreaker.  You can always leave or get warm clothing from your boxes, especially at CP 1 and 2 which are accessed in the night.

If you're underdone in training, go slower and treat it as a bunch of Saturday morning rides of some 30k's - after halfway it's all in the mind anyway.  Just keep something in the tank for those last 60 k's.

Enjoy!

What tyre pressure would you recommend from your past experience?

Also what size wheels did you have?

29er, pressure is weight dependent, I was probably 74kg at the time so I would recommend 1.5-1.8bar.

As for gps I used a edge 500 I did some research & it said battery life was about 20 hours or so. I thought since I'm not planning to ride that long I didn't fit my power bank & modified cable to charge on the go. Well it died at 320kms, it probably would've survived if I turned off all other features that it was trying to search for i.e.calorie alert for every 100 calories burned useful if you want to get the fueling right, cadence & powermeter sensors which I didn't have on my Mtb at the time.