Some tips for first timers

Francois Pienaar

So it's a month away, I can't actually believe it.  So let me jump into this quickly.  My partner and I have not booked a mechanic / service package.  What is your take on that?

Also, I'm considering the nutrition package.  Anybody done it before?  Is it worth it or a novelty?

Cheers,

A blisfully ignorant first time Epic rider.

So it's a month away, I can't actually believe it.  So let me jump into this quickly.  My partner and I have not booked a mechanic / service package.  What is your take on that?

Also, I'm considering the nutrition package.  Anybody done it before?  Is it worth it or a novelty?

Cheers,

A blisfully ignorant first time Epic rider.

Most definitely book a service package, after a hard day, which will be everyday, you dont want to spend time on your bike. You need to eat,shower and recover... leave the bike to a expert

Nutrition package sold out by now...nice to have but not absolutely necessary...

Mechanic/service package yes - BUT make sure you don't end up at the bulk operations where the bike is not properly serviced. 

Nutrition no - never had any difficulty at feeding stations. 

The other thing I recommend is (unless you are truely at the sharp end of the field) is to run a camelback with water in - then you can run 1 bottle full of drink and another empty bottle with your race mix in - then just add water at a waterpoint - otherwise you are somewhat limited by what is available at the waterpoint drinks wise.

Also running a camelback means you can drink more easily and still have full control - especially on long technical/rough downhills - one handed dh is not a skill I have.

V12 has a point, also be weary mixing a lot of the newer race drinks, a lot no longer have any preservatives, mix them too early and they go off you gonna have a really bad day...

I got caught out mixing a bottle the night before, 8 hours into race it had gone off badly, there you sit with a lovely decision. Keep drinking the off juice and hope for the best and end up dehydrated from throwing up/sh@@ing yourself or go without till you next have access to water and end up dehydrated.

11 years ago. 

Wow.  And I still don't want to go do it again.  :whistling:  :P

I don't know what "sharp" end of the field means but we were pretty fit and we still did the camelback thing.  It definitely helped.  Also helped to carry more nutrition that WE wanted food wise instead of relying on the pitstop menu.

Service package is a must IMO.

Get clean.  Eat.  Rest.

Talk crap with the mates

Rest some more.

You don't want bike maintenance to get into it.  :rolleyes:  <_<

I remember going for a nature call at 2am and finding the guys outside their tents still trying to figure out which way the chain gets routed.

Enjoy it.  Amazing experience!!

post-25-0-82918900-1487167304_thumb.jpg

11 years ago. 

Wow.  And I still don't want to go do it again.  :whistling:  :P

I don't know what "sharp" end of the field means but we were pretty fit and we still did the camelback thing.  It definitely helped.  Also helped to carry more nutrition that WE wanted food wise instead of relying on the pitstop menu.

Get clean.  Eat.  Rest.

Talk crap with the mates

Rest some more.

You don't want bike maintenance to get into it.  :rolleyes:  <_<

I remember going for a nature call at 2am and finding the guys outside their tents still trying to figure out which way the chain gets routed.

Enjoy it.  Amazing experience!!

that picture, looks much more tame than oak valley and paul cluver :ph34r:

11 years ago.

Wow. And I still don't want to go do it again. :whistling: :P

I don't know what "sharp" end of the field means but we were pretty fit and we still did the camelback thing. It definitely helped. Also helped to carry more nutrition that WE wanted food wise instead of relying on the pitstop menu.

Get clean. Eat. Rest.

Talk crap with the mates

Rest some more.

You don't want bike maintenance to get into it. :rolleyes: <_<

Enjoy it. Amazing experience!!

That looks like the river crossing through the Sonderend Rivier on the stage between Swellendam and Greyton in 06? My teammate fell over in the river and everything got wet.

The TCS colours are also a blast from the past.

That looks like the river crossing through the Sonderend Rivier on the stage between Swellendam and Greyton in 06? My teammate fell over in the river and everything got wet.

The TCS colours are also a blast from the past.

Team ComputerSmith, right?

Iirc Spinnekop was the most.... Level headed of the lot. :P

The team got a fair bit of schtick in the past. And yeah... One helluva blast

11 years ago.

Wow. And I still don't want to go do it again. :whistling: :P

I don't know what "sharp" end of the field means but we were pretty fit and we still did the camelback thing. It definitely helped. Also helped to carry more nutrition that WE wanted food wise instead of relying on the pitstop menu.

Get clean. Eat. Rest.

Talk crap with the mates

Rest some more.

You don't want bike maintenance to get into it. :rolleyes: <_<

Enjoy it. Amazing experience!!

I know why you don't want to do it again... you forgot to drink BEER... lots of it... ;)

Mechanics: Absolute must. Meal plans etc: I would not do anything that I have not done during training, try anything new at the last minute

first timer too..  Mechanic YES , Massage YES ..  Nutrition? no , you should be able to manage it the way youve been managing it during your training.

Excited much!

Also first timer... Mechanic and Massage big YES!!!

Plan your ride from water point to water point, try not to carry unnecessary stuff and don't try new stuff on race day.

Thanks guys,

Just for context, the "nutrition package" I am referring too is literally the bottle vibe.  For R735 they give you 5 bottles and take 2 bottles to a WP each day.  They claim that it will be cold when you arrive and when you finish they give you a recovery drink of choice.

What I'm reading into the discussion above is:

- Mechanic - HELL YEAR

- Nutrition - NOT SO MUCH

Thanks a ton, appreciate the feedback.