Anyone using Zwift?

Is there anyone who uses Zwift in this forum?

I want to join it but I'm not sure exactly what I need as it doesn't highlight quite clearly on their site. Does anyone of you guys know how it works?

Edited by omega33

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of late, I have noticed that distances cycled as recorded by Zwift do not tally with that recorded by either of my Garmin devices (a 510 and a Fenix 3) - and there is quite a significant differential!

the background :

1. I Zwift using the Bluetooth functionality of my Kikr to connect to my Ipad;

2. I simultaneously connect the idt using Ant + to one of my Garmin devices (sometimes both, depending on how anal I am feeling);

3. I have a Garmin speed / cadence sensor which is also connected to both the 510 and the fenix 3;

4. The longer the ride it seems, the more of whack the Garmin is with the Zwift reading. Also, flatter routes produce Zwift results which are more compatible with the the Garmin. By way of example, today Zwift told me I rode 50km. Garmin recorded 46km. Last week I did a 3 hour endurance ride, which Zwift recorded at 103.7km. Garmin saw only 92 km. More than a 10% variance, which is crazy.

Anyway, I have been thinking some on this conundrum, and then the other night, coming down Box Hill, I saw Zwift clocking mad speeds, even though I was hardly pedaling. Then it hit me, that Zwift dictates performance (meaning speed) speed by means of W/kg : ergo it uses the same algorithm to determine distance.

All of which has me wondering: when Zwift takes me on a 40km ride, have I really done those 40km?

Anyone have similar or contradictory observations to share?

Of late, I have noticed that distances cycled as recorded by Zwift do not tally with that recorded by either of my Garmin devices (a 510 and a Fenix 3) - and there is quite a significant differential!

the background :

1. I Zwift using the Bluetooth functionality of my Kikr to connect to my Ipad;

2. I simultaneously connect the idt using Ant + to one of my Garmin devices (sometimes both, depending on how anal I am feeling);

3. I have a Garmin speed / cadence sensor which is also connected to both the 510 and the fenix 3;

4. The longer the ride it seems, the more of whack the Garmin is with the Zwift reading. Also, flatter routes produce Zwift results which are more compatible with the the Garmin. By way of example, today Zwift told me I rode 50km. Garmin recorded 46km. Last week I did a 3 hour endurance ride, which Zwift recorded at 103.7km. Garmin saw only 92 km. More than a 10% variance, which is crazy.

Anyway, I have been thinking some on this conundrum, and then the other night, coming down Box Hill, I saw Zwift clocking mad speeds, even though I was hardly pedaling. Then it hit me, that Zwift dictates performance (meaning speed) speed by means of W/kg : ergo it uses the same algorithm to determine distance.

All of which has me wondering: when Zwift takes me on a 40km ride, have I really done those 40km?

Anyone have similar or contradictory observations to share?

Yes, and its a function of how they work. In my opinion Zwift is a more realistic distance to refer to. You seldom refer to distance when on an IDT, you refer more to time. Think of the IDTs of old, you did 45 minutes on the IDT, not 25km. Sure you measured speed and used that as an intensity reference but it was never going to be an x km workout on the IDT.

Zwift is a completely different story because its translating your actual power output into a more meaningful on-the-bike equivalent.

For what its worth, I record on Zwift for records and garmin for Discovery points.

Is there anyone who uses Zwift in this forum?

I want to join it but I'm not sure exactly what I need as it doesn't highlight quite clearly on their site. Does anyone of you guys know how it works?

I think Zwift explain it quite well here: http://zwift.com/hardware/

What is your current set up and where do you think are missing a component?

Yes, and its a function of how they work. In my opinion Zwift is a more realistic distance to refer to. You seldom refer to distance when on an IDT, you refer more to time. Think of the IDTs of old, you did 45 minutes on the IDT, not 25km. Sure you measured speed and used that as an intensity reference but it was never going to be an x km workout on the IDT.

Zwift is a completely different story because its translating your actual power output into a more meaningful on-the-bike equivalent.

For what its worth, I record on Zwift for records and garmin for Discovery points.

Nice reply, thank you.

I also only run  the Garmin for Discovery points, but the con in doing this is that I get duplicate uploads on Strava. It would be good if Discovery would accept Zwift data, though i don't see that happening anytime soon.

Really getting frustrated with Zwift at the moment.

On every ride, I lose all my paired devices - HRM and Tacx Flux.

This normally happens between 5 and 10 minutes into the ride.

Nothing I do during the ride will re-pair them. Only when I exit the ride, and Zwift, and log back in do they pair again.

I am using Ant+ to connect to my laptop. It is a new dongle bought from sportsworld.co.za. I have been through the ANT+ article shown in a previous reply, and disabled all the power saving options on my USB ports.

I have a USB extension cable and have the ANT+ dongle about 6 inches away from the trainer.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to sort this out

Edited by Grantc

See you are using a PC. Do you use the front USB ports or back? I also bought the dongle from sportsworld, have a Flux using an extension cable plugged into a USB 3.0 port at the back of my PC and the dongle lying on the ground about 4 feet from my Flux trainer. Have no problem whatsoever. Front USB ports are known to give issues

Edited by pedal menace

See you are using a PC. Do you use the front USB ports or back? I also bought the dongle from sportsworld, have a Flux using an extension cable plugged into a USB 3.0 port at the back of my PC and the dongle lying on the ground about 4 feet from my Flux trainer. Have no problem whatsoever. Front USB ports are known to give issues

Using a Dell laptop. sorry - have edited my post.

Using a Dell laptop. sorry - have edited my post.

All good  :thumbup: . How long is your extension cable? Too long can also cause power issues. Shorter = better. Have you tried (just for a test) plugging dongle directly into laptop, put laptop on a bar chair next to you and test if it does the same? If not, you know it is the cable. 

Also...are there any other signals in the room (i.e. bluetooth music etc). Although it should not impact this at all, worth a try to switch off as well. 

Edited by pedal menace

Is your laptop plugged into AC power? I also had the same frustration, but only after about 45 minutes. When I'm on AC Power, it doesn't happen.

Really getting frustrated with Zwift at the moment.

Sounds like a trainer / ANT issue - not Zwift it self.

As mentioned in the posts above try the following:

1:  Plug ANT stick direct into laptop.

2:  Make sure laptop plug into power and make sure the laptop does not have any power save modes enabled.

3:  Don't use your phone/ipad etc to connect to the trainer/ zwift via bluetooth while running the tests. 

If you do all of this and still have issues then try download a trial version of BKOOL or any other trainer software and run the same tests.  If the problem persists there is an issue with the trainer or ANT stick.  In this case, try borrow a stick from a friend to identify if it is the stick or trainer.

If the problem doesn't persist with different software, the problem is Zwift (unlikely).  Remove and re-install.

Edited by Dubber

I use Trainer Road, programs work better for me. i also experienced issues with Zwift where it is delayed on the slopes/decents but it might be as it is a 3D riding experience(need 10mb+ internet then) and Trainer Road is block based programs, since moving over to Trainer Road had no problems with my trainer disconnecting. I connect to laptop via bluetooth and then the ant+ usb picks up my power meter and hrt monitor.

I'm interested in getting Discovery points. Can anyone help? 

I use a CycleOps Hammer with Zwift. I also have a Garmin Edge 510 with speed and cadence sensors on my bike. Obviously when riding indoors on the Hammer my back wheel is off so no distance would be measured. 

Should I merely pop my Garmin on when I am riding Zwift and record my heart rate and cadence? Will this work and will I get the Discovery points (obviously assuming my heart rate is in the correct point zones)? 

Sometimes there is a USB power issue that can cause problems, it varies,.... trying a different port can help, preferably a USB 3, or unplugging any other USB devices. Powered USB hubs might help but those are sometimes dodgy, 

The specs are

• 0.5 A (USB 2.0)
  • 0.9 A (USB 3.0)
  • 5 A (BC 1.2)
  • 3 A (type-C)
  • Up to 5 A (PD)

Those are maximums, it doesn't mean that 500mA is guaranteed for USB 2

Length: the spec for USB2 is 5m max.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

I'm interested in getting Discovery points. Can anyone help? 

I use a CycleOps Hammer with Zwift. I also have a Garmin Edge 510 with speed and cadence sensors on my bike. Obviously when riding indoors on the Hammer my back wheel is off so no distance would be measured. 

Should I merely pop my Garmin on when I am riding Zwift and record my heart rate and cadence? Will this work and will I get the Discovery points (obviously assuming my heart rate is in the correct point zones)? 

Correct. Discovery no longer supports Strava. So either have a watch (i.e. Gear S3, Apple watch) that records your training (not too accurate and is only heart rate based) or add a Garmin to your trainer and record that as well. Discovery supports watches and Garmin. Only issue sometime sis that your trainer may upload to Strava as well as your Garmin which may result in double uploads (a schlep I know!)

Should I merely pop my Garmin on when I am riding Zwift and record my heart rate and cadence? 

Yes. If your Garmin is on and recording, you'll be fine. Just note that if your Garmin Connect feeds Disco and Strava while Zwift ALSO feeds Strava, you'll have two Strava activities, one with a map, the other not, so remember to delete the right one