Anyone using Zwift?

So I have a question.... My avatar is constantly getting 'stuck' behind other slower moving avatars.

Up Alp d'zwift the other day I was pushing 3.5-4w/kg, clearly going faster than a small bunch and my little man went round 1, then tucked back behind the next guy (pushing 1.5) then sort of got 'stuck there' till I put in a big effort to go around, then did it again and again for the rest of the 8 bends.

Is my avatar dumb or am I dumb or is there something one can do? I got a bit annoyed with the whole thing and shouted at the screen. It didn't help and I imagined myself driving a white bakkie and was instantly embarrassed

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have a question.... My avatar is constantly getting 'stuck' behind other slower moving avatars.

Up Alp d'zwift the other day I was pushing 3.5-4w/kg, clearly going faster than a small bunch and my little man went round 1, then tucked back behind the next guy (pushing 1.5) then sort of got 'stuck there' till I put in a big effort to go around, then did it again and again for the rest of the 8 bends.

Is my avatar dumb or am I dumb or is there something one can do? I got a bit annoyed with the whole thing and shouted at the screen. It didn't help and I imagined myself driving a white bakkie and was instantly embarrassed

There is a game mechanic called 'sticky draft' which was originally intended to help riders stay together in groups and make it easier to draft. Unfortunately on climbs where the speed differences in terms of km/h are generally smaller this can result in you getting stuck on the rider in front of you. 

View it as an opportunity to assert your dominance and sprint around them

Check on ZwiftInsider - he wrote an article about this recently.

Yup - I had visions of doing them all and getting the stars.  But Sunday that all went out the window.  I could do the 5min above Threshold sets, but the 10min "recovery" in between were anything but that.  I lost 4 of the 12 stars.

Talking stars, I see the shortlist for the ZA Run Academy was announced.  I hit every single star on the ZA Run, and followed everything by the book.  I'm not a natural runner but I did think they would look at how well you could follow a program, and by doing that I might make the shortlist.

No such luck unfortunately.

Part of my problem is the lekker weather now. So I tended to end up saying "I did it" to a lot of the long rides. I plan to do them later when the whole thing is "unlocked" when completed. As I hope happens... 

As for ZA Run - I did not have equipment to run in that period and got it just before ZA Tri ended. So I quickly did the ZA Tri run bit as well (already did bike) for sheets and giggles. You could have heard my jaw drop on the floor (no, that was not a thunderstorm) when I received an email to say I am on the shortlist. I quickly informed them that... ehhhrrr... they obviously don't eval swimming in Zwift. My mind and open water swimming is not friends.

There is a rubberband feature as far as i know. So when you are in drafting position you need to pedal a bit harder than normal to get past. It is normally not severe and you get past quite easily. Not sure about your experience on Alpe. I am normally the guy getting passed.

very possibly a bug. I did a race at the beginning of lockdown and in the process of getting dropped min into the race, my speed increased to about 180kmh up the big snowy watopia climb. downhill i clocked about 230. i hit the hard reset and had a beer. 

Ja... That's it, but it seems ridiculous to go from passing 1 guy to tucking in HARD behind another guy going equally as slowly when one could just hold ones line and breeze past the whole group.

But I do understand the dynamic of only having a 2 to 4kph speed difference and how it plays havoc with the formula

I was just annoyed as I am pathetic and weak and was tired...... 

For the IT challenged as myself, is there a way which I can display Zwift from my Android device to a dummy monitor, and in a way which allows my device to keep charging as I use it during a virtual ride? I'm sick and tired of having to set up (and disconnect) my Notebook each time, and wireless options like Google Chromecast don't seem to work on my device.

Please help!!

Repost. Any pearls of wisdom would be much appreciated. Google has been inconclusive until now. 

Repost. Any pearls of wisdom would be much appreciated. Google has been inconclusive until now. 

I'm no android expert and my limited experience with Chromecast's has been terrible so my suggestions would be:

Use your notebook run Zwift.. 

What ports does it have?

Does it have an HDMI port?

If not but it's got USB 3/USB C, you can get an adapter and USB 3/USB C -> HDMI/VGA to connect the other monitor to it. 

Leave the monitor in place/permanently setup and then when you want to ride, you'll just need to give the notebook power and plug in the adapter/HDMI/VGA cable.

Another option would be to get a dedicated PC/Laptop for your pain cave.

Edited by Muttley

Sticky draft. Awfully annoying. We ride WTRL TTT every Thu and the lead rider has to sit up and soft pedal to let the next turn come past, else he effectively blocks. If you are next at 85-90% HR and the leader doesn't sit up, you not getting past ever. You'll need to go probably 20% harder to get past. As I said, very annoying.

Even worse is when you're in a small group, passing another small group and you get stuck while the others go past and open a gap. Life in the "virtual fast lane" issues.

I'm no android expert and my limited experience with Chromecast's has been terrible so my suggestions would be:

Use your notebook run Zwift.. 

What ports does it have?

Does it have an HDMI port?

If not but it's got USB 3/USB C, you can get an adapter and USB 3/USB C -> HDMI/VGA to connect the other monitor to it. 

Leave the monitor in place/permanently setup and then when you want to ride, you'll just need to give the notebook power and plug in the adapter/HDMI/VGA cable.

Another option would be to get a dedicated PC/Laptop for your pain cave.

It's what I'm doing already, except I hate the (relatively inconvenient) hassle of moving my notebook around after working late in my home office to where my bike and monitor are set up. And visa versa in the morning. I'd far rather be using my Samsung S8, which I couldn't Chrome Cast, and so am enquiring whether any cables can be used to link my device to the monitor.

It's what I'm doing already, except I hate the (relatively inconvenient) hassle of moving my notebook around after working late in my home office to where my bike and monitor are set up. And visa versa in the morning. I'd far rather be using my Samsung S8, which I couldn't Chrome Cast, and so am enquiring whether any cables can be used to link my device to the monitor.

I think an OTG cable may work... you’ll just need to check what type of connection the S8 has and get the right type of converter.

Maybe something like this/along these lines:

https://www.takealot.com/usb-3-1-usb-c-type-c-to-hdmi-digital-av-otg-adapter/PLID49127103

Sticky draft. Awfully annoying. We ride WTRL TTT every Thu and the lead rider has to sit up and soft pedal to let the next turn come past, else he effectively blocks. If you are next at 85-90% HR and the leader doesn't sit up, you not getting past ever. You'll need to go probably 20% harder to get past. As I said, very annoying.

Even worse is when you're in a small group, passing another small group and you get stuck while the others go past and open a gap. Life in the "virtual fast lane" issues.

We had a flippen messy TT last night! Caught a team that wouldn't let us by with kit on almost like us.. ended up following wrong wheels and our bunch split.. 3 across the line and me limping home in 4th 2mins back. For me, first time back on Zwift since the 12 Nov TTT. Average power down from 3.8w/kg to 3.2w/kg and HR higher than usual.. moerse wake-up call!!