Anyone using Zwift?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ride every day, fasted, and real easy.

but thats just my body type.

Thanks and good idea, thing is a scheduled training program keeps you motivated.

There is apparently some science behind this, but you needn't fuel for anything under two hours. 

Keep your easy workouts real easy, and make your hard ones real hard. Don’t overdo the hard ones just because you only have a certain (short) amount of time to train. 

Take your time to ramp up, a good base is done in a matter of months, not weeks. 

* I am not a coach, or possess any authoritative knowledge. 
I have had good progress from following the above methods. 

Thanks and good idea, thing is a scheduled training program keeps you motivated.

Sign up for TrainingPeaks (TP) (if you're not already signed up, also consider paying for paid version if you see value in it, I do)

Pick a proper training plan from TP that suits your needs.

Link TP to Zwift - workouts from TP will then appear in Zwift under workouts.

TP will send you a daily mail about upcoming training-  I find that this helps with motivation

How long do the rides need to be to be effective. Are you talking hr zone 2 easy?

I have done 120min rides fasted. Towards the end however, I have felt quite hungry, and low on energy. (Outdoors)

Indoors, 2 hours fasted is quite achievable, but low intensity.

It's suggested to only do one a week to see how ones body copes with fasted riding. Some people really struggle with energy, and one should listen to one's  body. If after 30 mins it's unbearable, stop and next time try and ride a bit longer while fasted.

Keep in mind, that it does not work for everyone, I am fortunate to have a "fat metabolism" which means my body burns fat for energy kinda without much intervention from me (I know, I am a lucky bastard) 

I have done 120min rides fasted. Towards the end however, I have felt quite hungry, and low on energy. (Outdoors)

It's suggested to only do one a week to see how ones body copes with fasted riding. Some people really struggle with energy, and one should listen to one's  body. If after 30 mins it's unbearable, stop and next time try and ride a bit longer while fasted.

Keep in mind, that it does not work for everyone, I am fortunate to have a "fat metabolism" which means my body burns fat for energy kinda without much intervention from me (I know, I am a lucky bastard) 

Here is a graph to illustrate RocknRolla's advice.

At low aerobic power you should be able to burn fat all day (as long as you have fat) with very little carb use.

As you ride harder and harder you use more and more carbs and less and less fat.

With training you can change the fat and carb curves a little.

post-2412-0-12493100-1613472516_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eldron

If you're keen to learn more about how energy systems work I'd highly recommend this e-course on coursera.org

Science of Exercise
by University of Colorado Boulder

I think it was $50 and you get a cool certificate to hang on the wall.

It dispels a lot of these stupid myths that people keep perpetuating around fat loss and fad diets.

It's suggested to only do one a week to see how ones body copes with fasted riding. Some people really struggle with energy, and one should listen to one's body. If after 30 mins it's unbearable, stop and next time try and ride a bit longer while fasted.

Thanks, I think I will try and give it a shot. Probably better to do the experiment indoors to start off with.

Signed up already  :devil:

Spot the new guy questions coming up... 

Andymann, do I understand it correctly if I say you do TT leg, finish and then quit as per normal event, go out of Zwift, transition yourself, re-enter Zwift in run mode, pray that the pod calibration is more or less ballpark and go? 

Esp since it's completely separate events to register for, you must just register for same set. 

And then WTRL stitches it all together.

Spot the new guy questions coming up... 

Andymann, do I understand it correctly if I say you do TT leg, finish and then quit as per normal event, go out of Zwift, transition yourself, re-enter Zwift in run mode, pray that the pod calibration is more or less ballpark and go? 

Esp since it's completely separate events to register for, you must just register for same set. 

And then WTRL stitches it all together.

oops sorry - was a non-hub day!

Yup - but I guess from your reply below you got it sorted!

Holy cow... Eina!  :blush:

No ****!  I had a good bike but yesterday's interval set caught me on the run and I struggled to get my pace up - was pushing for 4:45's but in the words of our famous Vegan:  "Not going to F-happen"

No ****!  I had a good bike but yesterday's interval set caught me on the run and I struggled to get my pace up - was pushing for 4:45's but in the words of our famous Vegan:  "Not going to F-happen"

Ja, also never took it seriously and was full-out in training, incl Norseman previous evening on top of Gran Fondo intervals yesterday morning. 

Fortunately did nothing on the morning, otherwise I would have died and not just felt like it! I tend to say I'll take it easy. And then I see the xx/xxx numbers. And then whatever is left in the legs get used.

Yes and yes.

Looks like Friday's stage is the baby one, to allow one to more easily do it before or after work. I'm planning on before.

What's worse, for me, is that IIRC the Norseman race is also on Saturday.  :huh: