Power meter

Henryfeather

Hi Hubers.

I'm looking at going the power meter on my mtb .

My I please garner advice on what is a good brand to go?

Is there various applications as I notice some on wheel hubs and some on cranks.

Is the spend worth the return.

Thank you all.

Powemeter is a great tool for "directed" training - ie interval training etc. However, I have a powemeter (PowerTap on my MTB, and find it of little use - you can not watch your powermeter readings when you are riding offroad. So, in the end, you look at history and analise that. Now, on a stationery trainer, it's a different story all together- you plan your intervals and monitor it whilst you pedal. For that reason, I bought a trainer with a powermeter as well. Thàt I use regularly for improved training. The pm on my MTB is now basically just a gimmick - I like gimmicks though...

As for your real question, my PowerTap is on the rear wheel - I find it very accurate, compared to the trainer. I can not comment on the benefits vs cranks though.

Edited by Speeltyd

Unless you ride on very good dirt I don't think you will get the full value of power meters on a MTB.

I have just installed Garmin Vector 2 pedals on my Spinning machine and I am amazed at the amount of info they provide about the pedal stroke for each leg. What it all means is going to require a lot of reading on my part to unlock the info.

The advantage of the Pedals is that they can be transferred from one bike to the other in a matter of minutes, so I will be able to use them on my road bike when I am home.  The cost is about the lowest out of all the different systems.  

I use power meters on all my bikes, including my mountain bike. My training is planned around power so all sessions have got power. The data is very useful as it not only guides my efforts but I always know what my fitness and form are like.

To answer your question. Stages is the most available power meter and I have been very happy with mine. If you are prepared to pay a bit more and ride Sram, a Quarq is also a great option.

Stages

No need to change wheel sets

Very light - 20 grams

Calibrates itself

Updates software easily via an app

Generation 2 is best - improved water resistance

Power is the force through the pedals

Instant, doesn't lie about your effort for the day

Hi Hubers.

I'm looking at going the power meter on my mtb .

My I please garner advice on what is a good brand to go?

Is there various applications as I notice some on wheel hubs and some on cranks.

Is the spend worth the return.

Thank you all.

What crank do you have?

I struggle to see the effectiveness of a power meter on a MTB unless you're not paying for it then all good. A nice to have.

I struggle to see the effectiveness of a power meter on a MTB unless you're not paying for it then all good. A nice to have.

I have one on both my fietse.

Focus on road racing.

The PM on my dirt bike assists me to:

Manage my fitness/fatique chart (measures my training stress)

When I do CX loops, I can control my Intensity Factor (say I wanna work at 0.83 for 90 minutes)

Very useful to chase Strava PRs and KOMs on certain climbs  :devil:

I also spend lots of time on gravel and tarmac with the dirtbike with little or no technical sections

Edited by 'Dale

I have a PM on my MTB and find it extremely useful. My training program is planned around power, and i will choose my route accordingly to be able to do that effort.

It is also very useful during a race to see what kind of effort(NP, IF, etc) you are putting in throughout the race. In a race I wont look at my power number consistently but I will check it about every half an hour to make sure I am not going to hard to early.

Riding in a trail park, shredding trails it is just a gimmick though, as you are not able to watch the numbers at all.

My next purchase is a 4iiii meter for my road bike.

Edited by Rudi Pollard

Have a stages PM which I use in my road and TT bike, when on the MTB I use a powercal HRM which is good enough to give me numbers when out riding and for analysis and TSS