Spinnekop

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From his brother's FB.

An update on Barry Mccallum

Where to start? The good, and if I get a little long-winded, it is because I was given an crash course in medical charts, machines that go ping and the magic of the human body by Barry's doctor.

Physically, he looks more swollen than on Monday, but that is because of the fluids that are being pumped into him. The work of his kidneys is being taken care of by the dialysis machine, but he is passing some urine and it is clearer than it was on Monday. His lungs are surprisingly strong, no ventilation needed. His blood count is improving and his other numbers are getting better. He has fake skin on his wounds. He is absorbing nutrition through a tube down his throat, which is frustrating him no end. He can't speak, and Christ knows Barry likes to talk. He can't drink, and is given water and ice to help his throat. The tubes will be removed from his throat in the next few days.

The doctor was impressed with how he had progressed.

He is going to have another operation tomorrow morning at 8am. It is another clean-up op, looking at the worst they did in the first op and finding stuff they may have missed. The thing with burns, like a bruise, is that the damage only becomes apparent a few days later.

The bad? I spoke to Liam Brannigan, the head of ICU, this morning. The percentage of the coverage of burn wounds on the body correlates to mortality. Over 50 percent burn wounds is dangerous. Barry is over 50 percent. The fight is against infection and organ failure. Sepsis is the killer in burn trauma. Barry has had no infection thus far. Keeping it that way is not certain and it is likely there may be some infection.

The bottom line is Barry's fight is not yet done. He is better today, but there is nothing certain. It is all down to his doctors, his body and fate. But today is a good day. Mark it, give it a tick. Tomorrow is another fight. Round number four.

Visitors are still being kept to close family, but the ICU has been kind if they think he can handle it. I would rather we did not overwhelm him. Perhaps next week. Thanks to all who have helped. Too many of you. To those feeding Barry's dogs, I think there are four or five of you. They will be fat when he is well. To Grapes and the people there. Jesus, but your love is a tangible thing. I'll get to each of those who have helped when the time is right.

Thank you

Kev

Just saw this. Jeez, Tumbles what the heck!?! Big strongs to you and KMc. Unbelievable. It's always now that is the scariest with burns of that coverage and the first of infection. Holding thumbs and sending thoughts. 

Edited by hellocolour

reading that latest update leaves me a little bit emotional. Here I am worrying about a little niggle for a marathon on Sunday, my mind pre-occupied with thoughts about my future plans..yet pale in comparison to the plight of my forum friend. I am not the praying type, but I while hold hope that he pulls through from this. thinking of the entire McCallum clan - I can only imagine what they are going through

Scotty, can you please go down to grapes, find Kevin, and beat his bank account out of him.

It is so immensely frustrating wanting to help, and show support, but not be able to do anything.

If need be, arm wrestle the owner of grapes for a bank account number. Wait, maybe I'll just phone grapes myself and ask for Kevin.

Scotty, can you please go down to grapes, find Kevin, and beat his bank account out of him.

It is so immensely frustrating wanting to help, and show support, but not be able to do anything.

If need be, arm wrestle the owner of grapes for a bank account number. Wait, maybe I'll just phone grapes myself and ask for Kevin.

Ask yourself this: "Will paying money into an account, now, make any difference?"

Without meaning to sound nasty/unkind/unsupportive, all good things come to those that wait.

As Kevin said, somewhere, now is not the time for visitors - likewise, money might be required in due course... let's wait for the right time. As frustrating as it seems.