Tumbles in spot of bother

Spinnekop

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RIGHT ! If we cant help Barry for the moment, we can help his dogs. If you all recall the hub fundraiser for Ghost.

Who is in ?

I'm in

RIGHT ! If we cant help Barry for the moment, we can help his dogs. If you all recall the hub fundraiser for Ghost.

Who is in ?

I'm in.

But, in my opinion, there needs to be some controls in place. I have some concerns that I need to express based on experience w.r.t. donating money to a specific cause. Here are my comments:

• Helping TW's 5 dogs is priority #1;
  • Obviously, Husky Rescue SA have agreed to assist, so they need to be acknowledged too, priority #2;
  • Assuming the payment reference "Tumbleweed" is used on every donation, the Husky Rescue SA need to account for the funds, and ensure that priority #1 is upheld before priority #2 - within reason;
  • The whole point of the donation is to assist TW in this time of need - hence my concerns. Doesn't mean I won't donate, it's just how I've experience a resemblance of control of donations.

My experiences:

The race I'm involved with donates the proceeds to charities in the area. Instead of merely giving them their potion in monetary value, each charity is requested to submit a "wish list" of things the need (food, clothing, furniture, repairs to the building, solar geysers, etc.). The Rotarians then get quotes to supply according to the wish list, to ensure it is used exactly as it is requested and not "corruptly" spent on something else.

Who is in ?

As always! Let's do this!

I saw this post from Ian this morning and thought about sharing it as I know there are lots here who want to help.

Many of my friends may have heard that a friend of mine Barry Mccallum was very badly burnt when his car exploded as he started it just over a week ago. Barry is putting up a brave fight in hospital but is far from out of danger as he has over 70% 3rd degree burns.

Barry has always been a kind hearted soul who could never say no so he has managed to accumulate some lovely furry friends, 5 of them in total, a Saint Bernard, Boxer, Husky, Labrador with only 3 legs and a X breed lab type. Since the accident the dogs have been alone and outside with a kind neighbour feeding them.

I went to see how they were doing today and after consulting with our Husky Rescue - SA committee members we have decided to help Barry's dogs. Some have been injured, maybe trying to escape and they are all traumatised after being witness to the horror of what happened to Barry in his own driveway. Apparently they all ran away and hid until some time afterwards.

The plan is to take them to the vet tomorrow to get the injuries attended to and then they will be going to a boarding kennel where they can be properly and safely looked after until Barry comes home or other arrangements can be made.

Of course this will involve some costs so we would appreciate if any of Barry's friends or other animal lovers could assist us with donations into the Husky Rescue account below, please use the reference 'Barry' and send proof to ian@huskyrescue.org.za so we can keep track.

Account name: Husky Rescue SA

Bank: Standard Bank

Branch: Cape Gate

Branch Code: 02 39 10

Account number: 271474092

Done, but didn't email proof. But you will see "Patch for Barry" in the reference. Sorry.

Done.

Tumbleweed helped me out in the passed with a donation for new soccer boots for my maids son - his were lost in a shack fire. I asked on Bike Hub if anyone had a second hand pair of boots lying around. Tumbles immediately asked for my bank details - Nicholas got a pair of brand new boots.

Tumbles is a really great guy who was happy to help out complete strangers. Helping to care for his dogs is an honour.

I'm in.

But, in my opinion, there needs to be some controls in place. I have some concerns that I need to express based on experience w.r.t. donating money to a specific cause. Here are my comments:

• Obviously, Husky Rescue SA have agreed to assist, so they need to be acknowledged too, priority #2;
  • Assuming the payment reference "Tumbleweed" is used on every donation, the Husky Rescue SA need to account for the funds, and ensure that priority #1 is upheld before priority #2 - within reason;
  • The whole point of the donation is to assist TW in this time of need - hence my concerns. Doesn't mean I won't donate, it's just how I've experience a resemblance of control of donations.

My experiences:

The race I'm involved with donates the proceeds to charities in the area. Instead of merely giving them their potion in monetary value, each charity is requested to submit a "wish list" of things the need (food, clothing, furniture, repairs to the building, solar geysers, etc.). The Rotarians then get quotes to supply according to the wish list, to ensure it is used exactly as it is requested and not "corruptly" spent on something else.

No need to complicate things, the money will be put to good use. Making my donation today

Latest Facebook update from Ian:

"Barry Mccallum dogs are all safe at the boarding kennels. 

Squamish's wound is healing so they decided not to stitch but have given antibiotics.

Ruby's nose is a concern as it isn't healing but we have tablets and new ointment and we will monitor it. Squams and Ruby need to go back for follow up checks next week.

All the dogs have been checked, vaccinated, dewormed and given tick and flea treatment. 

They all have fly sores on ears so this has been cleaned and treated.

The vets bill alone came to just over R3000 so please keep sharing and keep the donations coming in so we can look after them going forward.

Thank you to all those that have donated so far."

Edited by Wil6

I saw this post from Ian this morning and thought about sharing it as I know there are lots here who want to help.

Many of my friends may have heard that a friend of mine Barry Mccallum was very badly burnt when his car exploded as he started it just over a week ago. Barry is putting up a brave fight in hospital but is far from out of danger as he has over 70% 3rd degree burns.

Barry has always been a kind hearted soul who could never say no so he has managed to accumulate some lovely furry friends, 5 of them in total, a Saint Bernard, Boxer, Husky, Labrador with only 3 legs and a X breed lab type. Since the accident the dogs have been alone and outside with a kind neighbour feeding them.

I went to see how they were doing today and after consulting with our Husky Rescue - SA committee members we have decided to help Barry's dogs. Some have been injured, maybe trying to escape and they are all traumatised after being witness to the horror of what happened to Barry in his own driveway. Apparently they all ran away and hid until some time afterwards.

The plan is to take them to the vet tomorrow to get the injuries attended to and then they will be going to a boarding kennel where they can be properly and safely looked after until Barry comes home or other arrangements can be made.

Of course this will involve some costs so we would appreciate if any of Barry's friends or other animal lovers could assist us with donations into the Husky Rescue account below, please use the reference 'Barry' and send proof to ian@huskyrescue.org.za so we can keep track.

Account name: Husky Rescue SA

Bank: Standard Bank

Branch: Cape Gate

Branch Code: 02 39 10

Account number: 271474092

Hey Batt (and Nancy) thank you for posting this and bringing a lump to my throat... and big up to Ian for taking care of the pack, poor things have no idea what is happening and it's not like they can understand either like us humans....

Will make a donation in the next few days

I'm in.

My experiences:

Just to reassure you Husky Rescue is a registered NPO and is required to account for all our funds and expenditure. I specifically asked that people mark their donations either 'Barry' or 'Tumbleweed' specifically so that we can run a separate account to track income vs expenditure. 

As stated elsewhere the vets bill for this morning was around R3000 which I personally paid but will claim back from Husky Rescue. We will account for every cent donated and any excess will be used for the ongoing maintenance of Barry's dogs as it will be sometime before he will be able to properly support them.

I have a major food manufacturer that has offered to provide food for them so the main expenses will be boarding fees and follow up vets bills mainly for Ruby who has a non healing sore on her nose which we are quite concerned about.

Done.

Tumbleweed helped me out in the passed with a donation for new soccer boots for my maids son - his were lost in a shack fire. I asked on Bike Hub if anyone had a second hand pair of boots lying around. Tumbles immediately asked for my bank details - Nicholas got a pair of brand new boots.

Tumbles is a really great guy who was happy to help out complete strangers. Helping to care for his dogs is an honour.

Hey welcome back.... well said

Btw I was wondering when that crazy girl / NixM was going to respond here... I couldn't remember your hub name at the time....

[insert blush emoticon]

????

Just to reassure you Husky Rescue is a registered NPO and is required to account for all our funds and expenditure. I specifically asked that people mark their donations either 'Barry' or 'Tumbleweed' specifically so that we can run a separate account to track income vs expenditure. 

As stated elsewhere the vets bill for this morning was around R3000 which I personally paid but will claim back from Husky Rescue. We will account for every cent donated and any excess will be used for the ongoing maintenance of Barry's dogs as it will be sometime before he will be able to properly support them.

I have a major food manufacturer that has offered to provide food for them so the main expenses will be boarding fees and follow up vets bills mainly for Ruby who has a non healing sore on her nose which we are quite concerned about.

Excellent work! Thanks.

If I remember correctly Barry has had Ruby's nose biopsied previously and it was something autoimmune causing the wound. Not sure if she was back at the same vet but, if not, it may be worth contacting the previous vet and finding out what the histologic diagnosis was.