Tumbles in spot of bother

Spinnekop

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the updates, great to hear that progress is being made, one step at a time.

Healing vibes to TW! Never met in person, but you get to know personalities over the years - someone who cares about people and animals (which says a lot about a person), and someone who doesn't give up. Keep fighting bud. 

Hang in there TW. Check in every day for an update and in these instances no news is good news. Keep fighting for life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From Kevin.

Barry Mccallum is fighting for his life tonight.

Last night Barry had a cardiac seizure and had to be resuscitated. His blood pressure dropped dramatically at around 7.30pm, and the medical staff at the Lynnwood had to perform CPR on him for 40 minutes. They had to shock him with the defibrillator several times to start his heart again.

They succeeded and stabilised him.

The doctor on duty, Joubert Steynberg, called me at 8.30pm to tell me that I needed to get to Joburg as soon as possible. He wanted the family at his side. I tried to get a flight from Cape Town at night, but there were none available. Dr Liam Brannigan suggested we all need to get to the hospital this morning. He said it was not looking good for Barry. Keri-Ann Stanton and I flew back on the first flight we could get this morning.

Barry started off the day strongly yesterday. He opened his eyes and recognised my mum. He also recognised Conor Mccallum and smiled at him. Conor flew home to England yesterday, and told his mum - Kelly Jane McCallum - how happy he had been after seeing him. Conor has struggled with seeing his father in the hospital bed. Barry was stable yesterday, things were good. Some time after having his dressings changed in theatre, his fifth or sixth trip there, his blood pressure dropped and they struggled to right it. His body is not holding on to the blood they are pumping into him. He had four units yesterday. Smiling and happy to fighting to live. A rollercoaster rode on a knife along a tightrope.

He was better this morning, a little more settled. He was sedated, his heart rate was around 54. His platelet count remains worryingly low. He is winning the struggle against infection, though, as his markers continue to be clear, or as clear as they need to be. Joubert took us through the events of last night as well as his current status. He will be looking after him for the next few days. They put him on dialysis last night, but he began passing urine by himself, which is good.

My mother asked all the right medical questions, the nurse in her taking over. Jesus, but that woman is strong. She went back to see him this afternoon and said that his breathing was shallower. The way she tells it, she may have given the male nurse a rev and the senior sister came and helped clear Barry's passages. If Mary McCallum gives you a rev, you tend to listen. She called me an hour or so ago to tell me she thinks Barry is "very sick". She told me to prepare myself for the worst. Liam's honest assessment is that it the prognosis for Barry is not good. I've been preparing for the worst since day one, but when it comes this close, when your brother takes you close to that worst of places, you cannot prepare enough for it.

I need to thank people from today. Garry Reed for letting me run out of his hotel early this morning, leaving behind a bike, bike bag and a decent bar bill. Seamus Thompson is a man who needs to be thanked more than just for today. He has been a rock to myself, my mum and the boys and Kelly. He has organised security on Barry's house, removed the burnt car and is available for the next step. He picked us up at the airport today. Liam Coakley-Eager drove from Joburg to sit with us at the Lynnwood today. He has been a good friend for many, many good years. I hate imposing myself on people, but today The kindness by all of three of these people broke and lifted me today.

I've been holding off on writing this as Conor had not landed in London yet and Kelly wanted to tell Breandan McCallum about his dad after he got home from school tonight. She asked me how do you prepare for the worst. I couldn't quite tell her. Probably be honest and practical and think about surviving. She told me the boys feel mostly for me because I am having to do this own my own. The best of boys, they will make fine men. I'm not doing this on my own. There are too many of you lean on and shout and cry with. Tonight, though, I need quiet. Tonight, there is too much noise and fear.

Edited by Myles Mayhew