Tumbles in spot of bother

Spinnekop

I was travelling yesterday when I heard the news of Barry’s passing and since then I have really been at a loss for words. As soon as I heard I called my wife but she had also just seen the news and was in tears. We had been following Kevin’s FB updates daily praying for an improvement but yesterday’s news hit us hard.

My wife and I met through The Hub almost 10 years ago to the day (2007 Argus Hub Breakfast ride) and in the early years the hub was a place we would spend hours on every day, we knew almost every member personally. Barry was one of those people and through the years we would catch up at various hub and cycling get-togethers, be it the 6 hour MTB events, cycle race expos or the mine dump rides he would organise. As other have said he had a larger than life personality with a super sharp wit and his passion for things was infectious. He was a wonderful person that always had time for others and someone that we will remember fondly.

Rest in Peace Holly Roller. Thanks you for all the good times and the memories and our sincere condolences to your family and those left behind. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sad news indeed. Barry and I never met face to face, but we had many discussions on this forum, publicly and privately. Condolences to his family. May he rest in peace.

Barry, dude, thanks for being around in my life.  Even though we only spoke electronically the last 18 months or so it was still awesome getting the chirps, etc early in the mornings.  You were "mensch" my friend and you will be sorely missed!  Rest easy, and know that you touched a lot of people's lives.

To Kevin, Mary, the 2 boys and the rest of the family, take solace in the fact that Barry, although gone, is still living his "larger that life" way in all our hearts.

Wow, it's so nice to see some of the old (read original) hubbers that knew Holy Roller coming back to pay tribute and say cheers.

I have so many memories and I've spent the morning reading our email exchanges over the years. At first daily, then weekly and slowly but surely weeks became months. Then out of the blue I'd get a  "Hey, how are you doing? are you a happy girl?" or "you popped into my head so I thought I'd say hi while you're there", but time never ever put strain on our friendship. Every year there'd be an exchange that went along the lines of 'last year was busy and life got in the way, but lets remedy that this year'

I'll miss that message at the beginning of next year.

In the meantime, I've found some more pictures. I hope you all don't mind me sharing them

Thanks for pics Nancy.  On my way home I saw a pic of you, Barry and Wonder Women.  I saw Barry (not knowing it was Holy Roller from the Hub) several years ago at the birthday party for Evan (Wolverine).  But what struck me as I saw him, it was this person that is just larger than life that walked in there.