Bike Hub Features

The Specialized Tarmac is a bike synonymous with road racing performance. In over a decade on the WorldTour, the Tarmac has scooped up an almighty array of race wins: from the grandest of the Grand Tours to the World Championships. And while the WorldTour riders did the winning, the engineers at Specialized have continually refined the platform, with the input from riders, in the pursuit of the ultimate lightweight, stiff, and responsive road racer.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How does the 2 bike compare, I know the numbers, but to you personally. did you gain 40s over 40km with the new tarmac?

How does the 2 bike compare, I know the numbers, but to you personally. did you gain 40s over 40km with the new tarmac?

Stiffness, efficiency and handing are the three areas that I note a MASSIVE improvement over my old bike. Of course, it's a little unfair to compare the two head to head given the age difference and that the Pro version uses lower end carbon (Specialized FACT 8R) compared to the S-Works (S- Works FACT 10R on the 2007 Tarmac S-Works and 11R on the 2017 version), but an interesting exercise nonetheless. 

Although I don't have stats to back it up, I'd put money on being more than 40s faster over 40km on the new bike vs. my old. The difference is truly astounding and I'd imagine this will filter down through the entire Tarmac range. Of course the carbon hoops on the 2017 S-Works model do help the overall feel, but the frame itself has been significantly improved since that first SL iteration.

it still looks boring compared to others in the same price range..... not very exciting to look at

Which ones in that price bracket do you prefer?

Lovely review, awesome dream-bike but but but but but but ZAR146,000...

Yeah, compare that to a mountain bike (s-works) model, it seems quite excessive. Minus ~R20k for the groupset as mentioned in another post. That's basically R120k for frame and carbon wheels. Where's the suspension, dropper post etc.?

]Yeah, compare that to a mountain bike (s-works) model, it seems quite excessive. Minus ~R20k for the groupset as mentioned in another post. That's basically R120k for frame and carbon wheels.

The CWC special is an upgrade kit only , Sifters and front and rear derailer .

Whats the difference on the frame from the 2016 model? The front fork looks a little narrower but pictures can be deceiving. Aside from that the 2016 also has the integrated seat clamp.