Bike Hub Features

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No mention of Silverback which have probably been the backbone of German bikes?

Are you drunk so early in the morning?

I haven't seen a single Silverback on the trails in almost two years of living in Europe. Yes, that's just my observation, but it's fairly telling.

YT has won a World Cup series. Canyon has a very extensive portfolio of product: road to DH. Hence the choice as referencing them in the main, as opposed to Silverback, which has (arguably) stronger African roots then either.

Are you drunk so early in the morning?

I haven't seen a single Silverback on the trails in almost two years of living in Europe. Yes, that's just my observation, but it's fairly telling.

Perhaps you should check their website, been around in Germany for last 45 years or so... whether they are popular or not is beside the point.... or in fact is the point of the article... where are the German bikes and why are they not popular unless bespoke.

Think the Silverback Sesta was/is trying to put themselves back on the map

Perhaps you should check their website, been around in Germany for last 45 years or so... whether they are popular or not is beside the point.... or in fact is the point of the article... where are the German bikes and why are they not popular unless bespoke.

Think the Silverback Sesta was/is trying to put themselves back on the map

No. You've got your facts wrong.

In 2004 the Silverback brand was founded by Deon Retief, an entrepreneur, visionary and strategist. He has more than 22 years of experience in the bicycle industry, has conducted extensive brand studies worldwide (more than 300 brands) and has visited more than 400 independent bicycle dealers and sports retailers in more than 45 countries. Deon was born in Cape Town, South Africa and earned a degree in marketing and business economics.

In January 2010, Silverback Technologie GmBh was established, which now owns the Silverback trademark worldwide. Germany was established as the centre of Silverback’s global operations when the company purchased land in Stuttgart and plans for a global operations centre were drawn up. Germany remains central to the design, development and ownership of the brand in becoming a truly great company.

Source: https://ideamensch.com/deon-retief/

There are a bunch of German brands that eclipse Silverback in terms of market presence, product range, etc. YT, Radon, Canyon, Propain all have factory teams in the World Cup DH and/or World Cup XCO and/or EWS. Can the same be said of Silverback.

The German direct-to-sales bike brands are making a massive assault on the bike industry, forcing even cycling behemoths like Trek and Giant to offer hybrid-direct sales models in response to ze Germans.