Lights that last?

BOB5

I'm looking to buy some good quality lights, something that would make night rides enjoyable with long lasting battery life or re-chargeable.

For now this will be for short night trails, but want to use the same lights for trans baviaans/36one going forward.

Any ideas on lights that's worth their bucks?

My experience with Extreme Lights involved 2 rear flashers bought for myself and my brother. Both failed within a few weeks. Had mine replaced under warranty. It failed again after another week. I walked away as it's not worth my time.

I was also shopping for a new headlight at the time and wanted something without wires and battery packs. I'd been considering Extreme's offering and had it in my hand a few times when visiting my LBS, but the rear light problems dented my confidence.

I subsequently bought a Lezyne DecaDrive1500XXL. It claims to get 9hrs at 250 lumens, 3h30min at 600 lumens, 2h10min at 1000 lumens and 1h45min at 1500. I would assume you could extend battery life with a power pack. I could be wrong.

Paid R2000 a year ago including handlebar and helmet mounts

My experience with Extreme Lights involved 2 rear flashers bought for myself and my brother. Both failed within a few weeks. Had mine replaced under warranty. It failed again after another week. I walked away as it's not worth my time.

I was also shopping for a new headlight at the time and wanted something without wires and battery packs. I'd been considering Extreme's offering and had it in my hand a few times when visiting my LBS, but the rear light problems dented my confidence.

I subsequently bought a Lezyne DecaDrive1500XXL. It claims to get 9hrs at 250 lumens, 3h30min at 600 lumens, 2h10min at 1000 lumens and 1h45min at 1500. I would assume you could extend battery life with a power pack. I could be wrong.

Paid R2000 a year ago including handlebar and helmet mounts

For the price those Lezynes are the business. Have ridden a few rides with one I borrowed from a riding buddy.

If you've got some cash to spare, Hope is a great option. Lots of head unit and battery options, great beam spread, bulletproof warranty and basically crash proof with a magnetic breakaway mount.

My extreme core light failed after a few months. Sent it back this morning at my cost, so just gotta wait for the outcome.

I also didn't find this core light to be great, so if you do decide to go with them then best you get the endurance model, and maybe invest in the higher capacity battery they sell.

I can only recommend what i have used, 

Ryder Orion - has never failed me and has really good battery life 

I have, had a blackburn, which is not bad at all. The Lezynne is also very good.

Currently I am using a 300lumen cree LED torch with Hi, lo and strobe functions. I can also spread or narrow the beam. Only downside is the shape even though its small, the entire body is alu. Torch only cost me R150 and been using it 3 or 4 years now.

I have the Ryder Orion, a Magiclight and the Extreme lights Endurance light. I switched to the Endurance just before Trans Baviaans last year even though people said it wouldn't make a huge difference. But it did! Am very happy with the Endurance as it is far more efficient and effective than the others. The battery is smaller and lasts longer especially on the low beam setting. But you still have the high beam for the gnarly bits. I would really recommend it for anything like Trans Baviaans especially if you're a back of the pack rider like me.

Run time is a function of the battery capacity and LED's light outputting efficiency, lights are getting ever brighter by the year but also their efficiency is getting better which means running at a light at a lower beam than max they run significantly longer.

The chinese lights are very decent these days, even ones with dodgy fake Cree emitters, a little bit of thread sanding and contact cleaner and they work pretty much flawlessly. You can also get wide angle lenses that fit any mgicshine compatible light, which can adjust the beams usefulness, depending on your uses.

Few things here-

Are you and will you be riding with friends on these rides, if so check what batteries/light set ups they run, it is nice to have compatiable ones so you can carry 1 spare battery between the 2 of you. At EA last year one team member had an Ayup light setup, her batteries died, 2 of us had spares but incompatible...

My presonal choice is the Ryder Orion, it is small and light and 800 Lumens is more than ample, anthying over 1000 you just going to murder batteries withing an hour or three. It is compatible with the extreme lights batteries, so I have a few of those as spares but I got through EA on 1 battery(dim when climbing and mid light when descending)

I have been using MagicLight/Shine lights and batteries for years with varied success. The orginal 900 lumen output made way for the 1200 and eventually to the 1600 lumen version with batteries of various sizes and capacities coming and going. Pricing has always been good, but matching a head unit with a battery that can last hasn't been all that succesful.

I am doing my 2nd Trans Baviaans this year, and apart from the event itself, will be out training on many dark mornings, so need a reliable light with good output and a battery that is matched. The Extreme Lights Endurance+ Cycle Light should be delivered today, so am very keen to see how that works for me.

One other thing, is that lighting requirements when road riding is quite different to on the mountain, so I will keep my Magic-Shine on my road bike and use the Extreme Light on the mountain.