The science of cross-country mountain biking: What does it take to succeed in XCO?

Cross-country mountain biking or XCO (the acronym given to the Olympic discipline) has increased in popularity in South Africa and globally over the past few years. So much so, that famed South African artist, Jack Parow, even wrote a song about it, Eksie Ou. Poor attempts at humour aside, the growth of this particular cycling discipline can largely be attributed to its inclusion in the Summer Olympic Games in Atlanta in 1996.

Click here to view the article

That's the first time I have seen suspension described as a vibration damper for the rider to reduce fatigue. I suppose it is but I have always seen it in terms of traction and control over rough ground and the ability to tackle rougher and more obstacle ridden lines at higher speeds.

I have to wonder if instead of viewing it as a vibration damper and seeing it as a tool to improve dh handling would not give XCO riders another avenue to make up some seconds in a race. Coupled with a dropper post that could allow a few extra pedal strokes on the roughest descents, and improved bike control, a winning margin of a few seconds a lap could be gained...

That's the first time I have seen suspension described as a vibration damper for the rider to reduce fatigue. I suppose it is but I have always seen it in terms of traction and control over rough ground and the ability to tackle rougher and more obstacle ridden lines at higher speeds.

I have to wonder if instead of viewing it as a vibration damper and seeing it as a tool to improve dh handling would not give XCO riders another avenue to make up some seconds in a race. Coupled with a dropper post that could allow a few extra pedal strokes on the roughest descents, and improved bike control, a winning margin of a few seconds a lap could be gained...

You are quite right Headshot. Suspension does assist with traction and control, but it also reduces the vibrations experienced by the riders.

Increased speed through technical sections certainly will assist performance. Suspension may assist with this as you pointed out above. 

The dropper post is an interesting one. We saw Julien Absalon use one last year. Will others follow his lead?

You are quite right Headshot. Suspension does assist with traction and control, but it also reduces the vibrations experienced by the riders.

Increased speed through technical sections certainly will assist performance. Suspension may assist with this as you pointed out above. 

The dropper post is an interesting one. We saw Julien Absalon use one last year. Will others follow his lead?

Others already have. Even though they're a relatively small drop (35mm I think?) they're a marvellous addition for nervous descenders. Nervous in the XCO discipline, meaning bloody good compared to the general population. I expect more to adopt droppers this year. 

As for full sus - it's a good thing on technical climbs as well, as it gives more traction when compared to hardtails. Hardtails are great for sudden bursts of power and non technical climbs, but when it comes to tech the solid rear triangle and lack of squish tends to result in deflection from obstacles rather than absorption, therefore resulting in less total grip. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

"Suspension systems on mountain bikes are designed to reduce the vibrations experienced by riders while they navigate technical single track descents."

Jeez laaik it oaks, you shed light on an age-old question that was burning - what is it that pumps between my legs...???!

do you know what happened to the Doc?

Bad timing.

Gastro the week before the race and then caught a cold on the day.

I tried one lap but realised I was doing harm and called it a day.

Bad timing.

Us weekend warriors could learn a lesson from that, knowing when we're doing harm and call it a day!

Bad timing.

unlucky Doc, as stated Earlier in this thread just glad you didn't get to lap me at this race as we all know what you are capable of.