Stopping carnage on SA roads - Prayers Required

JanJan

There is currently a negative attitude with regards to the safety of cyclist on SA Roads. With various accidents, bike jackings and presumably mis-managed organizations and governmental initiatives, the overall feeling on BikeHub is that something needs to be done, but the 'what' and 'who' has not been pin pointed yet.

Last weekend while cycling on the R104 shoulder from Cullinan to Pretoria, a miracle happened: A super natural force pushed me off the shoulder onto the gravel (this wasn't fatigue) just split-seconds before a drunk or inattentive driver swooped by on the shoulder of the lane @ 140 km/h. Without a doubt I would've been hit and died if it wasn't for God's intervention. The few cars behind honked their horns at the fleeing car and slowed down to ask if I was alright.

A testimony of life saving miracle is always a sensitive story, as there are many other cyclists who did not have the luck which I did and either fell, got bike-jacked or collided with cars with terrible consequences. Therefore, my testimony is rather the incredible power of prayer and the effect it has had on the well-being and safety aspect of my cycling. Countless times, the grace of God protected me and putting my mind at ease as I ride next to reckless taxis, through dodgy areas and even preventing me getting aggressive with the hooligans on the road.

Dedicated cycling lanes, carrying pepper-spray, flashing lights and bumper stickers reduce cycling risks but don't act on the problem: People's hearts.

That is where God and our prayers come in: God is the only One that can act supernaturally on peoples hearts, in weird and wonderful ways. And they don't even have to make a conscious decision to change; it can be enforced by the prayers of anyone believing their prayers will be answered.

I would like to encourage all Christians to pray the following once, before every ride or even daily:
  • Pray for your and all other cyclist's safety, for sound decision making, for calmness and that you will again appreciate the ability to do this wonderful sport. There is a nice book called Prayer of Protection by Joseph Prince.
  • Pray for all drivers and other road users, their safety, their awareness and patience when encountering a cyclist or group ride.
  • Pray for the government, PPA/CSA and SANRAL for guidance and a willingness to make the roads safer for everyone.
  • Pray for your family to be safe while you are out on the road or trails and also to give them assurance of your safe return.

I would appreciate if this thread can become a collection of testimonies by people who encountered Godly miracles, to enlighten others about the power of our wonderful God. And also a timeline tipping point where the cycling accidents on our roads decrease (even though it is cycling peak season).

If there are any questions, please post on the thread or pm me. I hope that it would be very beneficial or at least bring a positive outlook to the situation of SA roads.

Have a blessed weekend.

Edited by JanJan

Just in time for Friday.....

Surely we all can show some respect and maturity to JanJan? We expect it from motorists but are quick to make fun of people, their beliefs, viewpoint etc

A little from each of us can go a long. We don't have to make fun of others, even if you think they are cuckoos

I, like JanJan and many of you have stories of being saved miraculously, or as many put it: being lucky. This not only applies to cycling, but all areas of our life

I also ask God to protect me when cycling. It is not a magic wand that will keep you out harms way, but putting my trust and life in the hands of the Almighty.

Surely we all can show some respect and maturity to JanJan? We expect it from motorists but are quick to make fun of people, their beliefs, viewpoint etc

A little from each of us can go a long. We don't have to make fun of others, even if you think they are cuckoos

I, like JanJan and many of you have stories of being saved miraculously, or as many put it: being lucky. This not only applies to cycling, but all areas of our life

I also ask God to protect me when cycling. It is not a magic wand that will keep you out harms way, but putting my trust and life in the hands of the Almighty.

I can not agree more. 

Not sure how you managed to pick out ridicule out of the five words I posted? :eek:

As a long time poster, you are well aware that religion and road safety are very emotive subjects on this forum, and any thread containing these elements will bring out opinions from all points on the spectrum, especially seeing as its The Hub's traditional day of argument.

Wonder why god didn't push Andrew, Delene, Bryne, Gregory etc out of the way. (Not being sarcastic)

You are welcome to pray, that's your right and I respect that.

But please don't fool yourself into thinking praying is a substitute for making real world changes.

So no the carnage is not "resolved".

Edit: So please, pray away.... but help make other changes too.

Edited by Patchelicious

A testimony of life saving miracle is always a sensitive story, as there are many other cyclists who did not have the luck which I did and either fell, got bike-jacked or collided with cars with terrible consequences. Therefore, my testimony is rather the incredible power of prayer and the effect it has had on the well-being and safety aspect of my cycling. Countless times, the grace of God protected me and putting my mind at ease as I ride next to reckless taxis, through dodgy areas and even preventing me getting aggressive with the hooligans on the road.

Thanks for your courage for sharing your story, and your testimony JanJan.

We need more wonderful stories like these to remind us of God's power and His care. Good start to the day.

I am glad you are safe with all the other carnage which has been going on!

Edited by ByronH

Not sure how you managed to pick out ridicule out of the five words I posted? :eek:

As a long time poster, you are well aware that religion and road safety are very emotive subjects on this forum, and any thread containing these elements will bring out opinions from all points on the spectrum, especially seeing as its The Hub's traditional day of argument.

You answered the question in your 2nd part. Like you I know how these type of threads normally end????????

My response not aimed at you personally but more a general one????

Lets not call it resolved. 

I do often pray that I get to return to my family after my morning rides. 

Lets not only use prayer though, other changes are needed as well.

Of course prayer without action isn't effective, I agree with that.

The 'Resolved' part was adding some click bait effect to it, I will definitely change the heading. Any recommendation?

Wonder why god didn't push Andrew, Delene, Bryne, Gregory etc out of the way. (Not being sarcastic)

You are welcome to pray, that's your right and I respect that.

But please don't fool yourself into thinking praying is a substitute for making real world changes.

So no the carnage is not "resolved".

Edit: So please, pray away.... but help make other changes too.

Patch, I regret their passing as much as any one here, and still get a lump in my throat when I think what their families are still going through, but cannot comment on God's intervention. If I get hit tomorrow and pass away, leaving a broken home in my wake, I still wouldn't question the 'purpose' of it, only will appreciate the life I was able to live.

Prayer does however make room for God to allow certain actions to be done, and that is where the change will originate from. I feel the actions of Hubbers during the Memorial Rides, and the consolation that BDF's family received when they read through some of the threads, were started by prayer.

I once asked a dominee (well-respected from a well-known church in Pretoria) weather he thinks there is a statistical difference in fatalities and accident rates between people who pray before they go on holiday, and people who dont.

He said there wasn't any studies that he knew of, but he believed that there would be no difference ...