Martin and Jeannie Dreyer set new record mountain biking Kilimanjaro

News bot

Awesome achievement, seems there's nothing these two cant do. 

But I remember reading Rebecca Rusch doing this?

Apr 27, 2016

An Unsupported Mountain Bike Ride of Kilimanjaro

Earlier this year, adventurer Patrick Sweeney teamed up with professional mountain biker Rebecca Rusch to attempt something that's only been done once in history: climb and descend Mount Kilimanjaro on mountain bikes. To make things even more interesting, the two decided to keep the mission totally self-supported, meaning they didn't accept help from porters, or from medicine to help with altitude sickness. The goal of the expedition was to raise one dollar for every foot of climbing they did (that's $19,240) for World Bicycle Relief, a charity that builds burly bikes for folks living in remote areas throughout Africa. 

Subtitle is misleading -

Adventurers Martin and Jeannie Dreyer have become the first people to ride mountain bikes to the top of Africa’s highest peak, Mount Kilimanjaro.

I've been fortunate enough to climb Kili, and when I read this title, I couldn't imagine how it would be possible to ride some of the sections.  As the article itself states, there was a lot of pushing and carrying of the bikes, likely even more of that than actual riding.

EDIT: Regardless, big congrats to Martin and Jeannie.  Tremendous accomplishment!  I cannot imagine doing the final ascent carrying a bike!

Edited by BigTom

awesome stuff!

not sure if this was purely coincidental, but look what's happening next week on kili, with mtbs

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1244938075593679&id=638217026265790&pnref=story

Having been to the summit of Kilimanjaro on 17 occasions, March 2017 will see Alex on top of Africa's highest mountain, with a bit of a difference. He will be summitting on foot, and leave the summit on his mountain bike. Between 3 and 11 March, Alex will attempt to cycle from the summit of Kilimanjaro to the where the ocean meets the land in under 24 hours. Alex Harris

don't want to take away from a massive feat, but kili is a bit overdone. I'm sure there can differences in what makes this one different and unique, but if it's all about manhandling a bike to get a record then I'm not sure if it really is riding. I do hope there was a killer downhill!

looks like rusch and sweeney did it last year, and two poms did it first in 1985.

51lzT4AGbTL._SX350_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

yes, the Crane brothers did it back in the 80's...

they wrote a number of books, including Journey to the Center of the Earth, great reading...

Cheers

Chris 

Edited by Zebra

Fortunate enough to have walked up it but for the life of me, cannot think/understand why anybody would like to carry their bike up with them.  Not much is ridable anyway.

don't want to take away from a massive feat, but kili is a bit overdone. I'm sure there can differences in what makes this one different and unique, but if it's all about manhandling a bike to get a record then I'm not sure if it really is riding. I do hope there was a killer downhill!

looks like rusch and sweeney did it last year, and two poms did it first in 1985.

51lzT4AGbTL._SX350_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Rigid 26er. Hard core!

I saw a teaser video of Danny Mac and Hams Reynolds doing the same a while ago.

So either the Dreyers are claiming a first that is not theirs, or they found a way to differentiate their summit from others who summits with bikes.

I saw a teaser video of Danny Mac and Hams Reynolds doing the same a while ago.

So either the Dreyers are claiming a first that is not theirs, or they found a way to differentiate their summit from others who summits with bikes.

Their bikes had vertical mounted shocks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk