Martin and Jeannie Dreyer set new record mountain biking Kilimanjaro

News bot

Hello. Our entire kili experience was phenomenal and it is by no means over done. It is a spectacular piece of geography. It has many hikers high-tailing it home before reaching the summit and it does claim lives. Our hiking-biking Kilimanjaro adventure was just that with no record breaking feat in mind. Myself and Mart were very aware we weren't the first to be ascending kili with our bikes (mart and Rebecca Rusch raced many epic international adventure races together) and it was Rebecca's kili experience that planted the seed for us. We were adamant we didn't want any assistance and wanted to follow the actual hiking route from the Kilimanjaro National Park Gates via Horombo to the summit- signing off that we wouldn't ride our bikes untill we reached Horombo camp. Having to manhandle our bikes to 5895m is what made the 'regular' Kilimanjaro hike a challenge for us - we were told regularly that it wouldn't be possible to summit with our bikes due to the steep gradient (4km/1000m ascent) and loose shale from Kibo camp - but this is how and why we try to redefine our limits and test ourselves. (And I certainly wouldn't recommend taking your bike with to kili if you dislike walking with your bike untill a specific bike route becomes an option) So yes, media do sensationalize stories but then we are the first husband and wife couple to summit with Cannondales ????

Hello. Our entire kili experience was phenomenal and it is by no means over done. It is a spectacular piece of geography. It has many hikers high-tailing it home before reaching the summit and it does claim lives. Our hiking-biking Kilimanjaro adventure was just that with no record breaking feat in mind. Myself and Mart were very aware we weren't the first to be ascending kili with our bikes (mart and Rebecca Rusch raced many epic international adventure races together) and it was Rebecca's kili experience that planted the seed for us. We were adamant we didn't want any assistance and wanted to follow the actual hiking route from the Kilimanjaro National Park Gates via Horombo to the summit- signing off that we wouldn't ride our bikes untill we reached Horombo camp. Having to manhandle our bikes to 5895m is what made the 'regular' Kilimanjaro hike a challenge for us - we were told regularly that it wouldn't be possible to summit with our bikes due to the steep gradient (4km/1000m ascent) and loose shale from Kibo camp - but this is how and why we try to redefine our limits and test ourselves. (And I certainly wouldn't recommend taking your bike with to kili if you dislike walking with your bike untill a specific bike route becomes an option) So yes, media do sensationalize stories but then we are the first husband and wife couple to summit with Cannondales

Congratulations!  Great to hear a direct report.  Definitely an amazing accomplishment.

As I stated in my earlier post, having done that ascent from Kibo hut, I cannot imagine doing it carrying a bike!!!  Big kudos for a tremendous accomplishment.  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Hello. Our entire kili experience was phenomenal and it is by no means over done. It is a spectacular piece of geography. It has many hikers high-tailing it home before reaching the summit and it does claim lives. Our hiking-biking Kilimanjaro adventure was just that with no record breaking feat in mind. Myself and Mart were very aware we weren't the first to be ascending kili with our bikes (mart and Rebecca Rusch raced many epic international adventure races together) and it was Rebecca's kili experience that planted the seed for us. We were adamant we didn't want any assistance and wanted to follow the actual hiking route from the Kilimanjaro National Park Gates via Horombo to the summit- signing off that we wouldn't ride our bikes untill we reached Horombo camp. Having to manhandle our bikes to 5895m is what made the 'regular' Kilimanjaro hike a challenge for us - we were told regularly that it wouldn't be possible to summit with our bikes due to the steep gradient (4km/1000m ascent) and loose shale from Kibo camp - but this is how and why we try to redefine our limits and test ourselves. (And I certainly wouldn't recommend taking your bike with to kili if you dislike walking with your bike untill a specific bike route becomes an option) So yes, media do sensationalize stories but then we are the first husband and wife couple to summit with Cannondales ????

Awesome to check in here.

Well done.

I wonder what amazing challenge you have next

As a Cannondale man myself, I'm proud ????????

Hello. Our entire kili experience was phenomenal and it is by no means over done. It is a spectacular piece of geography. It has many hikers high-tailing it home before reaching the summit and it does claim lives. Our hiking-biking Kilimanjaro adventure was just that with no record breaking feat in mind. Myself and Mart were very aware we weren't the first to be ascending kili with our bikes (mart and Rebecca Rusch raced many epic international adventure races together) and it was Rebecca's kili experience that planted the seed for us. We were adamant we didn't want any assistance and wanted to follow the actual hiking route from the Kilimanjaro National Park Gates via Horombo to the summit- signing off that we wouldn't ride our bikes untill we reached Horombo camp. Having to manhandle our bikes to 5895m is what made the 'regular' Kilimanjaro hike a challenge for us - we were told regularly that it wouldn't be possible to summit with our bikes due to the steep gradient (4km/1000m ascent) and loose shale from Kibo camp - but this is how and why we try to redefine our limits and test ourselves. (And I certainly wouldn't recommend taking your bike with to kili if you dislike walking with your bike untill a specific bike route becomes an option) So yes, media do sensationalize stories but then we are the first husband and wife couple to summit with Cannondales [emoji16]

Exceptional - what a privilege it must be to be part a couple who both share a love of redefining what is possible. Well done.